New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Driving my dream car: 2014 F-Type S Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Driving my dream car: 2014 F-Type S Convertible

Somewhere between six months and a year ago I saw the first example of what would become an obsession. In Boulder, Colorado, there are lots of "nice" cars, if nice means BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. I was outgrowing my well-worn Subaru Impreza (every other car here is a Subaru), but I didn't want to get the same boring 3-series that everyone else drove. And then one day I saw a black F-Type. My first reaction on seeing its classic lines was wonder: what is that car? I wasn't the least bit surprised when I got close enough to see the leaping cat. I don't think I've seen another one since.

I try to set myself apart from the stereotypes of Boulder. "Liberal", outdoorsy, and boring as hell. I've certainly spent my end on the sharp end of a climbing rope, and I hike regularly, run, cycle, all that junk. But I refuse to dress like a slob who thinks his office might experience a sudden orogeny leaving him to hike back to civilization. I've taken a liking to remarkable footwear often made by John Fluevog: beautiful, unusual, and less practical than hiking boots. I wanted my car to be like my shoes: something that stands out; an object of functional beauty.

It took quite a while to convince my practical brain that yes, I could afford the payments, and no, I wouldn't regret the purchase. I agonized over lease deals, considered the XK and XK-R (and even, briefly, wondered if I could swing an XK R-S in French Racing Blue), but for months I did nothing but ponder. I wondered whether I'd be satisfied in something lesser, like a new Miata or maybe even the Kia Stinger. And I crunched numbers some more. But finally on Tuesday I decided to grow a pair and go test drive the F-Type.

Sill-Terhar had a few, including a 2018 300 in British Racing Green (new) and a 2014 V6 S in Firesand Orange Metallic. I drove the green one first and it lived up to everything I thought it might be, but I liked the idea of a convertible. The Orange one had sustained hail damage and was offered at a substantial discount from book value and, with fewer than 15,000 miles, was otherwise pristine. And it was beautiful inside. Very well optioned for an S, it was more car than I'd dreamed I'd be able to drive. Where the 300 was fast, the S was blazing. And the exhaust note! Compared to the obnoxious WRX mufflers that represented performance exhaust systems to me, this one was less Shakespearean: although full of sound and fury, this was no tale told by an idiot: it signified something astonishing.

After a sleepless night full of excitement and anticipation, I sealed the deal on Wednesday. I've been taking regular tours out to view my beautiful piece of art since then. I had been worried that people might see me and my fancy car as just another entitled jerk congesting the roads here, which frankly describes so many of the children rolling around in their parents' Land Rovers. But either my enthusiasm is contagious, or the beauty of the big cat charms them, but people seem happy to see this car. And I think I understand why. It is a thing of beauty.

It's hard to drive this car slowly, but still I try. This is no 2002 M3 and I don't wear a reversed baseball cap. The lines of the car and the growl of the exhaust are self-evidently fast, and I don't need to risk my license to prove it. But when the road is empty and the visibility is good, I do let her stretch her legs. Every time I do a dorky laugh is forced out of me and my passenger gasps in delight. Although I might go fast, I hope to never be aggressive. I try to drive with a sense of tongue-in-cheek noblesse oblige, for more should be expected of a Jaguar than the lesser, more common brands. I seek to emulate the gentleman: stylish and calm, but still capable of astounding deeds should circumstances dictate.

Old 07-28-2018, 08:21 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum immunizer,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/ to the F-Type forum for help, advice and information.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Central Region forum by following this link
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-central-36/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-28-2018, 08:33 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Every time I do a dorky laugh is forced out of me and my passenger gasps in delight. Although I might go fast, I hope to never be aggressive. I try to drive with a sense of tongue-in-cheek noblesse oblige, for more should be expected of a Jaguar than the lesser, more common brands. I seek to emulate the gentleman: stylish and calm, but still capable of astounding deeds should circumstances dictate
Welcome to the forums. Sounds like track days in my fairly "new" XJ6

Old 07-28-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 07-28-2018, 08:48 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums immunizer,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 07-28-2018, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,348 Likes on 5,432 Posts

Congratulations on your new Really Nice Jaguar!
You're not the only one finding a smile creeping across your face when you get behind the wheel of your cat!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 07-28-2018, 08:59 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by immunizer
and I don't wear a reversed baseball cap.
I'm glad of that or I would have to come all the way to you and bitch slap you for doing that in a Jag.

Old 07-28-2018, 04:32 PM
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:05 AM
Received 10,520 Likes on 6,949 Posts

Welcome.

Well done.