New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Evenin' all ...... Well, it's evening here

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Evenin' all ...... Well, it's evening here

Well, as it say's on the can, evenin' all.

I've just joined the forum and hope to gain a lot of information and of course, be of assistance when and where I can. Just by reading the introductory notes, I see that there's a massive amount of knowledge within the forum members, so my own tiny amount of XK knowledge may well amount to nothing but I'm willing to assist where possible.

Anyway, I live in the county of Norfolk in the U.K. and have owned a 1998 XK8 Coupe for just over 2 years now.
I'm also a member of the XKEC (XK Enthusiasts Club) in the UK and I actually bought the car from an XKEC member who, due to health problems, had to give up his driving licence and therefore had to reluctantly sell his P&J.

When I bought the car, it already had a Racing Green nose cone fitted & side rubbing strips removed and no other real other modifications but was suffering from some rust around the wheel arches, front floor pan foot wells, and a few other places, so it went into a local Jaguar inthusiasts modification and repair workshop (also a member of this forum) and came out a few weeks a much better and different looking car.

Since owning the XK, I've just now finished replacing all the blown bulbs in the centre console, J gate illumination module and a few buttons and switches. Replaced a blown LED in one of the air direction buttons.
Started to install a few parts (brake light switch, cruise control button and steering wheel switches) to retro-fit cruise control to the XK.
Replaced the steering rake adjustment motor to finally sort out the steering wheel auto retract function, which wasn't working properly.
Fitted a polished aluminium J gate surround, 7 polished aluminium instrument dial rings and aluminium accelerator, brake and footrest plates.

Finally, I'm now in the process of giving the engine a full service (Oil & filter, air filter, fuel filter, Iridium plugs and cabin pollen filter.

When I have a few spare moments, I'll post up a few pictures of the car.

All the best
Tony

Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome! Brings back memories Dixon of Dock green, you will enjoy this forum.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by uropnm6
Welcome! Brings back memories Dixon of dock green you will enjoy this forum. Anywhere near Diss, that's where my folks live I am normally there once every other year sometimes every year, great area.
Thanks for the welcome.

Diss is about 20 miles from where I live. Yes I agree, it is a lovely part of the country.

Being semi retired, we (the good lady and I) always try to have a 5 or 6 mile walk and a pub lunch (with a pint of course ) at least once a week and Diss is one of our areas we visit.

Old 03-26-2011, 03:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tony, pub lunch and a pint! (I ought to give you a lifetime ban just for that) and I bet you can get a decent cup of tea on your sojourns as well.

Sounds like you have very nice XK, post up some pics when you can.

BTW, if you have had help from a member, don't be shy about naming them, a visible acknowledgement is always good to see.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey Tony, welcome aboard the forum my friendGood to have you here with us!
Great intro full of info just missing some pics
I'm betting I know who the forum member who helped you out was Please feel free to mention, no problem on that front

Please check out the relevant section for the best possible answer to any questions you may have. This is the new member section and as such solely for welcoming newbies to the site.

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can immediately enjoy all the benefits this site has to offer.

Some great guys / DIY'ers and top techs here all friendly and willing to help if able, so jump right in and enjoy

All the best Tony

Old 03-27-2011, 06:26 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Originally Posted by uropnm6
Welcome! Brings back memories Dixon of Dock green, you will enjoy this forum.
Welcome to the forum Tony,

Sgt Dixon was the my first thought when I saw the title.

Glad to have you with us.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. And thanks for the immediate upgrade JimC64.
I do believe that I'll feel right at home here.

Regarding the member who put me onto this forum and also worked on the modifications; I don't know his membership name but he owns a company called Paragon, who is involved in the mechanical modifications and service side of things and is also involved in a company called Apollo, who does all the bodywork finishing and re-sprays.
....... I'm sure he'll make himself known soon .......... Tone, where are ya' mate??

Anyway, pictures of said beast ......

There are a few more things I want to do to finish it off.
1) Install the last few parts to retro-fit the cruise control.
2) Lower the car by 20 mm.
3) Cut out and make good a small amount of corrosion that we noticed appearing on the rear wing.
4) Sort out the worn leather on the driver's seat bolster.
5) Fit EBC turbo groove discs and red stuff pads all round.

Apart from that, it's just general maintenance items.

Name:  P1030441.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  114.5 KB

Name:  P1030444.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  118.8 KB

Name:  P1030443.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  P1030454.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  P1020935.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  103.7 KB

Last edited by Tony S; 03-27-2011 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Bad grammer .... Doh!!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome Tony!

Old 04-06-2011, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony S
Regarding the member who put me onto this forum and also worked on the modifications; I don't know his membership name but he owns a company called Paragon, who is involved in the mechanical modifications and service side of things and is also involved in a company called Apollo, who does all the bodywork finishing and re-sprays.
....... I'm sure he'll make himself known soon .......... Tone, where are ya' mate??

Welcome to the forum Tony, I saw you cruising the XK8/XKR forum and found your intro, glad you could join us, I can't stress enough what a good bunch of guys they are on this site, enjoy

Great pics by the way I might have to add a few of those to my collection

Old 04-06-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by XKRacer
Welcome to the forum Tony, I saw you cruising the XK8/XKR forum and found your intro, glad you could join us, I can't stress enough what a good bunch of guys they are on this site, enjoy

Great pics by the way I might have to add a few of those to my collection
Well done T, gald you found me ........ I do a lot of lurking within the XK8/XKR forum.

If you want some of the pictures to add to your "collection", please let me know and I'll forward them to you.
They are some of the pictures I sent to my insurance company for the agreed value.

Regarding the technical knowledge on the forum, as you rightly say, there's a heck of a lot of well "know how" here and what's more, everybody's willing to share it.

Speak to ya' later with a vertical link bearing size.

All the best