New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

F-Type Start Stop Battery Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2022, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type Start Stop Battery Removal?

Hi everyone,

i read that the F-Type has 2 batteries, has anyone removed the start stop battery and continued to drive the car normally without problems? Seems like excess weight if we don’t use this function but maybe it messes up the ecu reminding you to replace battery on screen all the time?

Was also wondering if anyone’s f type has removed the motors raising the vents and kept the vents up all the time? Thanks

Old 12-01-2022, 09:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums jersey,

Good to have you with us.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/ to the F-Type forum for help, advice and information. You can also use the Other Areas Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/other-areas-43/ to find other members in your part of the World.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
jersey (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 09:50 AM
Received 4,317 Likes on 3,731 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy

jersey (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,411 Likes on 5,448 Posts

Hello,
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

jersey (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 04:38 PM
Received 3,979 Likes on 2,877 Posts

Welcome aboard.

jersey (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,245 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Originally Posted by jersey
Hi everyone,

i read that the F-Type has 2 batteries, has anyone removed the start stop battery and continued to drive the car normally without problems? Seems like excess weight if we don’t use this function but maybe it messes up the ecu reminding you to replace battery on screen all the time?

Was also wondering if anyone’s f type has removed the motors raising the vents and kept the vents up all the time? Thanks
Only the early F-Types up to the 2016 model year have the two battery system, all others from 2016 onwards have a single battery although they still have start/stop aka "eco".
On a two battery car such as mine removing the secondary/auxiliary has zero effect on anything other than to permanently disable the start/stop system, I know this because that is exactly what I have done.
So you can remove the secondary battery with zero risk of any problems and in fact it reduces the load on the main battery.
Another easier and simpler way to disable the system on a two battery car is to simply disconnect the secondary battery, a five minute job.
Just follow the thick black cable which runs from the negative terminal of the secondary battery (the earth/ground lead) to where it bolts to a stud on the floor of the trunk/boot, remove that nut (13 mm IIRC), take the end of the cable off the stud and zip tie it up so it can't contact any metal part. I did this before I removed the secondary battery and had zero problems.
On a 2016 and later F-Type with the single battery it is just as easy to permanently disable the start/stop system, you just unplug a single grey wiring plug on a junction board in the boot/trunk, there is a post with pics somewhere on the F-Type sub-forum.

Last edited by OzXFR; 12-01-2022 at 07:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
Grant Francis (12-02-2022), jersey (12-01-2022)
Old 12-01-2022, 07:05 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome messages.

thanks for sharing the battery removal, it’s very informative, especially the part on reducing the load on the main battery. Was also looking to save a few pounds of weight removing it too 👍

Old 12-01-2022, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,245 Likes on 2,393 Posts

Originally Posted by jersey
Thanks everyone for the welcome messages.

thanks for sharing the battery removal, it’s very informative, especially the part on reducing the load on the main battery. Was also looking to save a few pounds of weight removing it too 👍
Forgot to add, one potential little hassle when trying to remove the secondary battery - one of the bracket mounting bolts is tucked up under the rear corner of the boot/hatch and I found I needed a swivel attachment on my socket wrench to get at it.
And yes it does weigh a few pounds although nowhere near as much as the main battery, I guestimate around 10 lb.
Quite a few F-Type owners here, looking to save some weight, have replaced the very heavy (45 lb?) main battery (AGM lead acid) with a much lighter LiPo battery although they are fairly costly.

jersey (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 05:27 AM
Received 10,544 Likes on 6,964 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

jersey (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 05:31 AM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Jersey,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

jersey (12-02-2022)
Old 12-02-2022, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Forgot to add, one potential little hassle when trying to remove the secondary battery - one of the bracket mounting bolts is tucked up under the rear corner of the boot/hatch and I found I needed a swivel attachment on my socket wrench to get at it.
And yes it does weigh a few pounds although nowhere near as much as the main battery, I guestimate around 10 lb.
Quite a few F-Type owners here, looking to save some weight, have replaced the very heavy (45 lb?) main battery (AGM lead acid) with a much lighter LiPo battery although they are fairly costly.
Thanks for sharing this detail, it will definitely come in handy.

I read a lot of posts, the 20-30 pound Saving from a lighter battery seems to cost 4-5 times more than the normal lead acid ones, seems like money for the enthusiasts.

I was also thinking with older cars like mine, the air con vent motors will eventually fail and need replacing, perhaps then I can see if the mechanic can keep it fixed on the raised position and remove the motors to reduce unnecessary weight since I don’t need it to raise up & down lol -

Old 08-23-2024, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Hello all, I just removed the Battery since i wasn't using start stop anyways and i am happy to report that the Battery including the bracked saves you a whopping 4,9kg or 10,8lb.
Will this have an effect on the car? No!
Did you free up space for a subwoofer? Yes