New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First Cat - Long Overdue

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2013 | 12:59 AM
|
Default First Cat - Long Overdue

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a 1999 XJR with 225,000 km on most components, except for a 2003 manufactured transmission and 2003 engine that now have about 60,000 km on them.

The drive train seems 'tight like a tiger' and most of my attention has been focused on the suspension.

It's a solid car, and I am already in love with it. That said, I am proceeding with due caution and trying not to let my assumptions get the better of me.

Case in point: A few nights ago, after lurking in the forum for a while amnd only learning half of what I needed to know, I decided to make my key fob work properly. After proudly reassembling the fob with it's contacts shiny and clean, I figured I would test the fob's range with its' new batteries.

Leaning out of my home office window at 12:30 AM, I pressed the unlock button . . . no response. So I pressed it a few more times . . .

He he he . . .

It's really hard to shut that alarm off remotely when the fob isn't keyed to the car any more ;-) And it's really easy to engage the immobilizer system with a failed key transponder exchange after an alarm is triggered ;-)

I disconnected the battery, left it for a day, reconnected, and everything appears to be back to normal. Just like Windows!!! (except the XJR runs fast).

My Lesson? Respect the Cat, Join the Forum, and get my head around
what appears to be a different paradigm of auto engineering than that which I have experienced before. The more I learn, the more I like it.

As for me, I'm a techie with a liberal arts background. I'm a bit of an Anglophile, and have always wanted to own a Jaguar. I can't really explain the compulsion; I'm simply drawn to the experience. I don't spend of lot of money on cars (although that may change ;-) and this one feels like a really good fit.

I apologize for rambling on.

I'll keep the appropriate forums posted on the upcoming projects I have listed in my sig (if appropriate) and to quote Keith Richards: "I'm just happy to be here."

MrToad

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-22-2013 | 06:50 AM

welcome to the forum and the Jag family - you will find plenty of info and support here simply follow the link below to the best tool in your tool box:

You will find the most info and support for your MY XJR in the X308 section (be sure to check out the first few threads with how to's, downloads, etc.:
XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

enjoy

Old 12-22-2013 | 12:24 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums MrToad,

Good to have you with us.
Follow sklimii's link for elp and advice and don't forget the regional section Canada - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 12-22-2013 | 01:31 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum MrToad,

Great Intro - bet you're popular with the neighbours!

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar Forums.

Follow Steve's link to the X308 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 12-22-2013 | 02:40 PM

Welcome from a fellow Canadian and Ontario resident. Outsiders may not know that GTA stands for Greater Toronto Area, also known as RFL or Rob Ford Land.

Norri has given you the link to our dedicated regional section, please stop by once in a while!

Mike

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (12-28-2013)
Old 12-22-2013 | 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome!

Old 12-28-2013 | 11:09 AM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........