New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First Jag, New to Forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Jag, New to Forum

Hello All,

I've always wanted a Jag. I was looking at p.o.s.'s all throughout Craig's List simply trying to find a way to save gas $. I had a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L V8...was very lucky to get 10mpg.

After so long looking and meeting with very shady characters in supermarket parking lots only to find the vehicles they were trying to sell had cigarette butts thrown throughout, soda pop stains on the seats, door panels missing, all sorts of mechanical problems, etc. I nearly gave up. How do people expect to sell a car in those conditions? And they were asking for twice the *dealer retail* of the cars as described at edmunds.com. I was aghast.

Almost a week ago, I found my Jag. It's a 1990 XJ6 Vanden Plas. It's been garaged nearly all its life. No trace of cigarettes (not even scent or ashes on cigarette lighters). Immaculate inside and out. I was so relieved and very impressed that the owner had taken such great care of the vehicle. Only 139K miles. MPG reach between 17.5 (city) and 33 (highway). So very happy.

There are a couple of issues...a/c needs to be retro-fitted to R134a ($1k thru any mechanic I've found...$500 for me to do it myself...no-brainer), struts need replacement all around, the fuel pressure regulator is hissing (normal?), hydraulic system is leaking at the component near the reservoir, and now VCM is throwing Fuel26 & Fuse1 codes. I'm still happy as can be with the car. I think these mentioned issues will be fairly simple to take care of myself. I have my Haynes service manual on its way and I'm quite mechanically inclined (although I'm no mechanic by trade or any great experience, I've never had any problems working on cars). $$ is always an issue, but for the comfort my Jag has given me so far (I've never owned a luxury vehicle), I think it'll be a great project and comfy ride. I'll just work on it as I get the $...priorities first, of course

I'm looking forward to the forums and any assistance I may receive...and giving some, myself, when I've had the experience to share!

Cheers,
~Jasper

Old 04-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 203 Likes on 148 Posts

Great story - welcome. I'm a newbie myself, both to jags and to this forum. I was searching for a truck, wanted a crew cab pickup and just couldn't find the right one when I realized what my problem was --- I was looking for the wrong vehilce. I really wanted a luxury car, something cool and prestigious at the same time. Jaguar came to mind and I realized that I could fulfill my dream by getting an older XJ8 -- lots of V8 power and driving in the lap of luxury! WOW, do I love this car!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:44 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Welcome to the forum Jasper,

Good to have you with us.
Head over to the tech section and the guys will help with the problems.

You should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:48 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Jag's are great, i'm on my second. I was into muscle cars most of my teenage years, then realized that i could get a car MUCH faster than any muscle car, and much much much more luxurious, and now i have my XJR haha. You'll love these things, welcome!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome Jasper,

Found the right vehicle, relaxed about minor issues and prepared to wield the wrenches yourself. I think you're going to enjoy your VdP.
Graham

Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,736 Likes on 8,731 Posts

Welcome Jasper, bet it won't be your last either....
Wise choice....

Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

welcome!! im glad to see there there are always new members such as myself joining!! Wish you lots of luck with your car!!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to Jaguarforums Jasper, good to have you here with us and nice to see another newbie jumping in to welcome you too.....all good.
Congrats on the car my friend and I'm sure we can help you out with a few tips n tricks here n there..............any pics to share?

If you add your car details to your signature it will help others to help you much more quickly.

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features.
so jump on in and enjoy

Old 04-19-2012, 08:49 PM
BBB
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, your mileage calcs leads me to believe that I am not so crazy, I had recently purchased a 1995 XJR with 167,000 km and have driven it 1000 km the last few weeks in between shop visits and the mileage on the trip computer has been 9.4 litres /100km combined hwy and city with some leg stretching in there also...lol