New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First Jaguar, hello! (97 XK8 Convertible)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2024 | 11:33 PM
|
Default First Jaguar, hello! (97 XK8 Convertible)

Hi, just checking in! Bought my first Jaguar last Saturday. Still figuring out a gameplan for getting necessary repairs done, as the dealership in my area won't work on it due to the age of the vehicle, and so far only one mechanic has said they could do it (if somewhat unenthusiastically).

1997 Jaguar XK8 convertible, 64,800 miles, great body and engine, needs a new radio head unit and passenger rear window regulator, needs new struts and mounts at some point in the near future. Has a negligible oil leak and possibly a fuel leak (I catch a whiff of gas once in a while, although the mechanic I took it to didn't find one and it passed smog). Convertible top worked twice after I bought it, but wouldn't go down this morning - had to manually latch it, which took about half an hour as the latching mechanism was stuck, and the hydraulic fluid reservoir appears to be empty, so I will try refilling that and see if that resolves the issue on Sunday. Takes two tries to start it sometimes, but otherwise an absolute pleasure to drive. Might be other problems I haven't found yet.

I had bought this car dreaming of keeping it forever and learning how to tinker on it myself, but I feel extremely intimidated. I've only ever owned one vehicle at a time, and I have to drive six out of 7 days a week which makes learning to do your own repairs very difficult - if I know I have to drive it first thing in the morning, I'm reluctant to try in case I don't finish or mess something up and I'm unable to go to work the next day. But this would be my weekend vehicle, which theoretically should make it possible to work on it without any consequences if I can't get the job done that day.

On the other hand, I've never done even so much as an oil change. I can check my fluids and top them off, but that's about the extent of my experience. I also feel slightly intimidated by the fact that so many mechanics I've spoken to have been very blunt and to the point, saying that the age of the vehicle, scarcity of parts, and complexity of the electronic system mean that they are unwilling to try and that I really shouldn't either.

So all that being said, I'm super grateful to have found this forum. I downloaded some of the manuals for my year, purchased a hardcopy technical guide for 10 bucks on eBay (not as informative as I had hoped, but better than the vehicle literature pack), and I'm looking forward to trying to learn as much as I can. It's very reassuring to see that many of you with the same year have successfully done your own work and that you support each other with information and advice! I might not post much, but I'm grateful to be here.

Old 06-07-2024 | 11:41 PM

Welcome to the Forums.

The following users liked this post:
kimikeef (06-07-2024)
Old 06-08-2024 | 12:27 AM

Welcome aboard.

Old 06-08-2024 | 07:56 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums kimikeef,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 06-08-2024 | 08:30 AM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 06-08-2024 | 08:36 AM

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums, Kimikeef! It's great to have you with us.

The Jaguar XK8 is perhaps not the easiest first vehicle on which to learn automotive repair, but with the help of our knowledgeable members, you will be able to learn the procedures for performing virtually any repair your car may require. Many of our members who do not have the proper tools or experience will share information from the Jaguar Forums with their independent mechanic to help him or her to resolve issues they may not have dealt with before.

Some of the the most common mistakes inexperienced do-it-yourselfers make are over-tightening fasteners, using incorrect fluids based on false marketing claims, using sub-par parts, and damaging fragile plastic parts that have become brittle with age. Our members will help you avoid those pitfalls.

We'll see you in the X100 forum!

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 06-08-2024 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-08-2024 | 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hello,
You're in for some Fun times, you are!
Members of our XK8 section will gladly give you any help and assistance you need.
I wish you success.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')