New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First post-Series 3 w/100k mi sitting 12yrs

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post-Series 3 w/100k mi sitting 12yrs

Hi everyone,

It’s my pleasure to be a member and finally share my first newbie post on this forum! I've been a member on many forums over the years but this is my first non-German car forum. I've maintained and repaired German cars for almost 30 years for myself, friends and family and combined I've done almost everything imaginable on my past/current collection of various Audi’s, VW’s MB’s and BMW’s.

The Series 3 in question is a white/tan 1986 XJ6 4.2 which belonged to a friend and has been sitting in his garage for over 12 years. She’s in great cosmetic shape both inside and out but has the dreaded crank wobble induced rear main seal failure so i'm planning for a new engine as well as the expected complete brake and fuel system overhaul from sitting for an extended period. Not sure if the tanks need restoration yet but that and other possible ailments are on the table.

I drove this car when she was somewhere in her 90k mile range (not long before being parked) and she rode beautifully. Some of you may agree but I feel this is a beautiful vehicle with a nice elegant ride and she deserves to be back on the road again instead of scrapping her.

Although I must admit that I wasn't very impressed with the engine or the autobox, I was apparently impressed enough by the ride and character to be planning her rise back to the road.

Despite feeling like a reasonably accomplished DIY guy I’m leery of a full rebuild on the 4.2 I6 with the new learning curve that comes with a new breed (camshaft hold down brackets, rear main seal issues etc) especially when the ancillary components haven't moved in over a decade..

It may be blasphemy on this site (prepared for the flames) but I’d really like to swap an engine and transmission (w/ known working fuel and cooling systems) to something that I’m familiar. I understand the tried and true “swap” is the sbc/LSx and I may end up there in the end if I’m put off by the required fabrication work and wiring. From what I know so far this is not the case.

I’d really like to keep the XJ6 as an Inline 6 or V12 and since I know nothing of American iron or Japanese engines I’m leaning toward a German engine and transmission transplant. Please don’t read into this as “German xyz are better” as that is NOT my belief or angle…It’s just German cars are what I’m familiar.

At this point, my research has taken me to these potential donors:

BMW 750/850 with either a M70/M73 V12 with the ZF 5sp auto both ECU’s and the TCU or
BMW E36 M3 with the ZF 5sp autobox w/ECU and TCU.

During my research, I haven't heard of this or anything much different than the General Motors or other Jaguar set-ups being done. While this may be for a very good reason to which I’m not yet aware or simply because the small block Chevy/LSx is such a nice and established package that no one has bothered to try?

It’s going to be a long road but I’ll keep you posted.

All input, flames and welcomes are appreciated!

Old 10-28-2014, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,213 Likes on 5,388 Posts

Hello, Steven,, welcome to Jaguar Forums.

It's true that some feel it's blasphemy to put a Chevy engine in a Jaguar but you'll find several of us in these various sections who drive exactly that. Everyone has a different reason, but usually it's because their Jag engine bit the dust somehow and they didn't want to deal with it again. My car came to me already converted to a 350/700R4, and had it not been so it would never have come to live with us. I grew up with Chevys so this is familiar territory for me.

As I understand it, the Chevy conversion is so popular because the pieces parts fit better with a minimum of heroic effort than other engines. I have heard of a Jaguar/Dodge conversion recently but have no personal knowledge of one so I can't speak with any authority.

In the end, Steven, it's YOUR car, and you have every right to do with it whatever YOU want to make it fit YOUR preferences and desires. Others may disagree, that's true, but theirs are THEIR cars and they have the right, like the rest of us, to do whatever THEY want with their cars.

I'll look for you in our Xj6 section.
Welcome again, from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-28-2014, 07:05 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Steven,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

You've take on quite a challenge but we have several members with transplanted powertrains in their XJ6's so you should find help in the tech forum.

Follow this link XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJ6 Series I, II & III forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

You can also visit the USA Lower Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/u...c-sc-fl-ga-66/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 10-28-2014, 11:23 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Steven,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve211
It may be blasphemy on this site (prepared for the flames) but I’d really like to swap an engine and transmission (w/ known working fuel and cooling systems) to something that I’m familiar.
Welcome to the forum. It is your car,if you can make it fit run what you are familiar with.
I have heard of a series 2 with a 2006 Holden Alloytech 3.6 V6 (LY7HS).
A series 3 near me has an Oldsmobile 3.5 ltr V8 with twin SU HS6's. The carby's came from a rover 3500. The V8 looks 50's to 60's era.(eyeballed it in a local workshop a couple of years back)

Old 10-29-2014, 05:31 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

from a fellow South Carolinian - welcome to the forum!

What part of SC are you in???

enjoy

Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,008 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 10-31-2014, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts
Default Welcome to Jaguar Forums

Welcome Steven . . . and greetings from a fellow enthusiast in Australia.

We pride ourselves both on the quality of the resources and technical help available here, but also the friendliness that keeps members coming back long after any problems are resolved.

Best wishes,
Ken