New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First-time Jaguar Owner!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts
Default First-time Jaguar Owner!

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

I've always loved the Jaguar marque because I feel it is the epitome of style, comfort and class, with a healthy dose of performance thrown in for good measure. Now I'm the proud owner of a 2007 XK in Liquid Silver with 24k on the odometer. When I first saw her, like my wife, I fell in love immediately and had to have her.

I've had the car for about a month now and I have to say it's the best handling car I've ever owned - the grip is tenacious! Unlike my previous cars, this one I have not yet been able to drift around a 270-degree exit ramp, and I'm wondering if I should expect understeer or oversteer once the tires break loose...any input would be appreciated.

I live in Chesterfield, Virginia and I'm the administrator for an enterprise-wide software system at a university. I've also decided to pursue my Master's degree in Information Systems Management, a fast-track 14 month program, so the Jag provides quite a bit of much needed stress relief when I toss her about!

I hope in time I can provide assistance in this forum as I have in other forums (I'm a true gearhead). In the meantime I appreciate your consideration as I learn more about my new Jag.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails First-time Jaguar Owner!-img_4576.jpg   First-time Jaguar Owner!-img_4563.jpg  
Old 05-15-2014, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,921 Likes on 7,175 Posts

Looks great !

Nice having you with us

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Big Otter (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 11:03 AM
Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts

Welcome, nice introduction. Your car looks beautiful, and it looks like you live in a beautiful area. Enjoy!

Steve

Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Steve8
Welcome, nice introduction. Your car looks beautiful, and it looks like you live in a beautiful area. Enjoy!

Steve
Thank you for the kind words. That's my father's beautiful area in another part of the state - I just took pictures there.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Welcome!

Big Otter (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:42 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Eric,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

I can see you have already found your way to the XK/XKR tech forum so there's no need for a link to it from me.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Mid Atlantic Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/mid-atlantic-md-va-dc-de-wv-65/
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Big Otter (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 164 Posts

Hello , great car ...Enjoy the Forums..

Big Otter (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 03:24 PM

Bad Cattitude, GGG and Five Speed, thanks for the welcome! I hope I can provide help here as time goes on. I enjoy contributing worthwhile information that can save others time and $$$.

Last edited by Big Otter; 05-15-2014 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Added the extra t to Cattitude!
Old 05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 529 Likes on 275 Posts

Welcome to the forums!

Big Otter (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by SNG Barratt USA
Welcome to the forums!
Thanks, SNG Barratt USA!

Old 05-15-2014, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,353 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Otter
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself.

I've always loved the Jaguar marque because I feel it is the epitome of style, comfort and class, with a healthy dose of performance thrown in for good measure. Now I'm the proud owner of a 2007 XK in Liquid Silver with 24k on the odometer. When I first saw her, like my wife, I fell in love immediately and had to have her.

I've had the car for about a month now and I have to say it's the best handling car I've ever owned - the grip is tenacious! Unlike my previous cars, this one I have not yet been able to drift around a 270-degree exit ramp, and I'm wondering if I should expect understeer or oversteer once the tires break loose...any input would be appreciated.

I live in Chesterfield, Virginia and I'm the administrator for an enterprise-wide software system at a university. I've also decided to pursue my Master's degree in Information Systems Management, a fast-track 14 month program, so the Jag provides quite a bit of much needed stress relief when I toss her about!

I hope in time I can provide assistance in this forum as I have in other forums (I'm a true gearhead). In the meantime I appreciate your consideration as I learn more about my new Jag.

Eric
Beautiful car, Eric! Welcome from ElinorB.

I think the question of understeer or oversteer has a bit to do with the individual car and suspension set up. If you Really want to know what to expect, find yourself an unobstructed parking lot (rare as hen's teeth out here) and play with it until you learn. In such a "controled" environment, with no light poles or parking barriers to impede your quest, just go out and break it loose.

I personally like a bit of oversteer in my cars, fortunately my Xj6 does not disappoint me. My Other "car" however, a Ford Windstar van, Wart, has a Ton of understeer, but knowing that, I can put it through any local curve at good speed with great success.
(';')

Big Otter (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Beautiful car, Eric! Welcome from ElinorB.

I think the question of understeer or oversteer has a bit to do with the individual car and suspension set up. If you Really want to know what to expect, find yourself an unobstructed parking lot (rare as hen's teeth out here) and play with it until you learn. In such a "controled" environment, with no light poles or parking barriers to impede your quest, just go out and break it loose.

I personally like a bit of oversteer in my cars, fortunately my Xj6 does not disappoint me. My Other "car" however, a Ford Windstar van, Wart, has a Ton of understeer, but knowing that, I can put it through any local curve at good speed with great success.
(';')
Thank you, LnrB, the car is stock in every respect, so I was just trying to get a feel from others for the car's natural balance (or imbalance ). I prefer neutral-to-oversteer and am usually able to correct any minor understeer/oversteer via tire pressures. The parking lot is a good idea...I just need to do it when and where the cops aren't so plentiful....no need for all that drama. :/

I really enjoy how the 6-speed makes good use of the engine, making it feel more powerful than it is, and good gearing will do that.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Last edited by Big Otter; 05-15-2014 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Punctuation.
LnrB (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - you will find a wealth of info and support here - enjoy!!!

Big Otter (05-15-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by sklimii
welcome to the forum - you will find a wealth of info and support here - enjoy!!!
Thanks, sklimii!

Old 05-15-2014, 09:25 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Eric,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Big Otter (05-16-2014)
Old 05-16-2014, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
Welcome to Jaguar Forums Eric,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help
Thanks, Norri, happy to be here!

Old 05-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

Old 05-17-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by JimC64
Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

<edit>

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........
[/COLOR]
Thanks, Jim, that's very kind of you to give me full access, I appreciate that. I look forward to helping out, but for now I'm just being a sponge.

Eric