New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

First time jaguar owner and new member

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time jaguar owner and new member

Just purchase my first JAG! 1992 XJS convertible. maybe I lucked out on my first Jag.

When they say there are still barn fines well that's 100% turn. this car has been in a barn since 2005. What I did not realize was that if there are rats nest in the engine compartment...then the rats must be eating something which in my case it was most of the wiring system!!!

Since 2005 the owner put an average 191 miles per year. The car has almost 73000 miles, body in perfect shape, seats needs some work and tires were shot. After seeing the car sitting in the barn and seeing that it needed for sure a new convertible top or as the manual said..a new hood...I installed a new battery and turned the key and the car started right up...no smoke from exhaust!!!

I put it into gear and pulled forward about five foot then got out to look for any oil leaks...they were NONE! I then took it for a test drive which was about 2 miles round trip. All gauges worked, trans shifted like it was new. I then gave the old owner $2500 and loaded it up on the car trailer. This was all done on Sat. Sunday I begin to cleaning the car up, getting rid of all the rats nest and so on.

With all the wiring problem I had no headlights or turn signals. Once all the wiring was done and at a cost of $1500, now everything is working fine. I took it down for new tires and all oils and fluids changed and having AC checked out and charged.

Now everything is working great from AC blowing cold, heated seats, mirrors, door locks, everything working good. I had to buy a used radio since my radio was a dead one. The car is now running and working like it just came from the factory. Speaking of the factory, my Jag was build in GB and shipped here. Does anyone have any idea why this is?

I know they have a factory in Canada and dealerships in most large cities so why would someone buy the car and have it shipped to the USA? Anyway, the car goes in for a complete interior and convertible top replaced to factory specs this coming Monday then it goes into the paint shop after the interior is done.

Then I hope to have a 21 year old car that have been completely restored with less then 73000 miles on it which sold for $68900 back in 1992 for a total investment of less then $12000!

Does anyone think I made the right decision on restoring my 1992 Jag XJS. Or am I just another dummy spending money that he really Dont have? thanks everyone and I'm proud to be a new member and JAG owner! rank, Sparks, NV

Last edited by JimC64; 12-02-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: LINE BREAKS ADDED
Old 12-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum and the Jag family - nice find and not a bad call on restoring her! You will find plenty of info and support here to keep her running like new, so enjoy!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:56 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Tenagarlick,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar Forums.

To answer your question about the XJS coming from the UK. Jaguars are manufactured in England - all of them so far.

Follow this link XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJS forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Western Region forum by following this link Western US - AK CA NV OR UT HI WA ID - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Welcome!

Old 12-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Tenagarlick,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 12-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

See you in the forums....