New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Getting my first Jag, and couldn't be more pumped

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my first Jag, and couldn't be more pumped

Hey y'all,

After years, this simpleton North Carolinian (Triangle area, to be specific) is getting ready to make the transition from BMW to Jaguar. I currently have an E39 528i that will be moving out shortly to make room for my new obsession, a 1999 XJR. The chassis has ~90k miles, but a low-mileage AJ27S from a 2001 XJR was just installed in the car. Needless to say, with such a high-performance car, I'm going to need people to show me the ropes in terms of the intricacies of maintaining repairing the big cat. I did all my own work on the 5-series, and it not only allowed me to save an absurd amount of money in the long run, but also gave me a real appreciation for the inner workings of car. That said, I wouldn't have been able to do half of the stuff I did on it without a good online enthusiast community to bring questions to, so I figured I'd be proactive and get signed up over here.

Anyway, I'm about as fired up as I could be about making the jump to the Jag, and I'm looking forward to actively participating in the discussion over here!

--Nate

Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Congratulations on the XJR.

Good to have you with us.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 6,360 Likes on 5,534 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Have fun with the new Jag, let us know how it combares to the beemer.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

that's great

Old 01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There is a 2002 XJR all black for sale around me, which is what got me into Jaguars in the first place, but a tad out of my price range at the time. beautiful car, enjoy it!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Jaguarforums.com Nate .....good intro full of info, thanks for sharing...........

XJR you lucky devil, post pics when you can................the guys over there will help you out more than you can imagine, some excellent info there for you

There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or have a few laughs!

Any issues just post and the guys here will help you out no problems....

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun
I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Jump on in and enjoy

Old 01-26-2012, 08:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, I appreciate that. Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

Unfortunately, got some bad news yesterday. The guy who had the XJR for sale had been, well, let's just say less than honest with me about its condition. His ad claimed that it was in "mint" condition other than the issue of swapping out that one AJ27 cam for the AJ26 one, so that the CPS would read correctly. Well, apparently mint condition means different things to different people. When I got there to look at it, I quickly realized that the pictures I had seen didn't match up with the car. They were either of the car before it lost a few key things, like a hood, grille, random patches of leather from the interior, the spark plug/coil covers, miscellaneous bolts on the engine, and all four of its wheels, or they were of a completely different car, which I suspect. Either way, when I got there, the car was sitting on blocks missing all of the above and covered in dents. Needless to say, not my definition of a car in mint condition, nor in excellent, good, or even fair condition. Thanks, but no thanks.

If anybody else sees an ad for a 1999 XJR in Raleigh that needs the camshafts swapped to run right but is in otherwise mint condition, I'd suggest that you save yourself the trip unless you're really looking for a way to spend money unnecessarily. There are more than a few great deals on XJRs out there, but this one was too good to be true.

That said, I'm hoping to get a different car pretty soon. I'm in no rush, probably looking at sometime between now and May, so I'm just going to keep looking around and wait until I find one that really works. If anybody hears about anything good near you, feel free to send it my way, and again, thanks for the welcome. I'll keep y'all updated.

Old 01-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

thats a shame, and a waste of time, bloody annoying!

Good luck with the hunt