New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Greetings to all...

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Greetings to all...

My name is Doug and I live most of the time in Phoenix and some of the time in a small beach town in Mexico called Rocky Point. For many years I've been an avid Porsche owner with 8 various versions of the 911 in my garage over the last 30 years. Recently the 1999 Cabriolet that I've owned for 3 years was sold.

So I'm ready to move on, learn, and enjoy a new breed of automobile and I think that will be the Jaguar. Years ago I owned for a brief period a beautiful early 90's XJS V12. That was one sweet car and the impression of the smooth engine and signature Jaguar ride was something that I've never forgotten.

So now I'm in the market for a car and it makes total sense to me to spend some time around here and read up on your experiences and opinions before I dive in. My budget is up to 20k so it appears i can get started for that. Right now there is a 2001 XJR with 50000 miles that is available locally that has caught my eye. But as i said, I'm going to hand around here for awhile and see what your favorites are.

Thanks for reading,
Doug

Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum Doug,

Good to have you with us.
You should find all the help, advice and info you need in the tech sections, Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum - Powered by vBulletin it's a good idea to do the research before jumping in.
The PHX - Rocky Point idea sound pretty good too.
If you want to take a look in the regional sections you have two to look at Southwest US - AZ TX NM OK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum & Canada, Mexico, South America - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the site.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

The following users liked this post:
smoothy (12-14-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Doug,

Follow this link XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X308 section for help, advice and information on the XJR you are considering.

If you want to broaden the search and go for another XJS or an XKR, you'll find similar information on these models in XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum sections.

Enjoy the search.

Graham

Old 11-24-2012, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome aboard, Doug. Good luck in your search

smoothy (12-14-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi & welcome aboard smoothy, Its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums.
Nice intro thanks for sharing.

$20k will get you a nice Jag I'm sure.......I'll be keeping my eyes peeled to see what you go for in the end, presumably something with a little power like the XJR or maybe the XK?
Time will tell......

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features.

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

smoothy (12-14-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Thanks to everyone who kindly welcomed me to the forum!

In the process of looking for the perfect Jaguar it has become apparent that would mean that 3 would have to be purchased. So for now I've decided on the one that will take care of the most needs and that would be a recent version of the XJ Vanden Plas.

Due to my hard learned mechanical limitations over the years I've decided to get as new a car as possible with the least amount of miles that I can find. Right now there is a decent 2004 near me that has 72000 miles on it and the price is well within my budget at 12000. The problem with the car is that the seller has only recent service records and as the 3rd owner that leaves alot to be desired for a 9 year old car. A Carfax was viewed and the only service that was ever posted there was the work he did (new shocks and lubrication) in 2012.

I guess I'll move on unless someone here as an idea on how more information may be obtained about the service for this car. Thanks again all!

Old 12-13-2012, 10:41 AM
GGG

Doug,

It's always wise to walk away from the deal if in doubt and more so with Jaguars.

However, if the VDP is really tempting, Jaguar dealers worldwide have access to the online "Direct Dealer Warranty" system and can access all records for original spec and any work carried out by any Jaguar dealership on any Jaguar car.

Unlikely the original owner would have used anything other than the dealer so this approach could fill in a big hole in the history.

Graham

smoothy (12-14-2012)
Old 12-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Hi GGG,
The car is tempting because it is straight with no accidents (clean carfax) and nicely equipped. Its also priced well below book.

Thanks for the tip on checking with the dealership. They did service the car at 40000 miles in 2008, saw it again in 2009 at 48000 and then nothing after that until the current owner. So there's a couple of years and 20000 miles where no dealership work was done.

In looking at the car yesterday it needs two wheels, two tires, and a strong detail. When I was closing the sunroof the headliner came undone so thats another issue that needs attention. All in all I think its a fair deal especially if I can get it for less.

Of course a used car prepurchase inspection may have more but for now I guess the biggest concern is the under-maintenance it has apparently received in the last couple of years.

Thanks again, Doug

Old 12-14-2012, 10:07 AM
GGG

Doug,

Any chance you can get a ScanTool on it?

Any stored or pending DTC's can tell you a lot. No error codes together with all OnBoard tests completed by showing P1111 is good news.

Conversely, if the codes have recently been cleared (showing no error codes but P1000 indicating tests not completed since last memory clear) then it looks a little more suspicious as if the vendor may be trying to cover up something.

Graham

smoothy (12-20-2012)
Old 03-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Its been a patient search but finally it appears that a car has floated into my life.

This 2 owner 2004 XJR has the equipment that I want (simply parking sensors fore and aft plus nav), its in the condition I'm after with no paint chips, flawless interior, and perfect stock wheels. It came with complete service records, books, both keys plus valet, and a laminated window sticker.

The only issues to deal with right now is a slight intermittent wobble at freeway speed and a rear glass automated shade that has come detached from the mechanism.

Anyway, I'm stoked right now and wanted to tell someone so there ya go...you guys were first! ha ha

Doug

Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 PM
GGG

Doug,

That sounds great condition and history. I hope the deal works out OK and you're soon adding '2004 XJR' vehicle details to your Signature.

Graham

smoothy (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:58 AM

"That sounds great condition and history. I hope the deal works out OK and you're soon adding '2004 XJR' vehicle details to your Signature.

Graham"

Its hard to believe how right this car has turned out for me. The seat fits like a glove, its fast and as smooth as expected. The struts have already been replaced so really the only major thing right now is the back glass sunblind that is broken. Replacing it may be way more then its worth.

I'll be attending a Jag Concourse this weekend in Chandler, AZ. Who knows, maybe I can find someone there that has a creative solution for the blind issue.

Thanks again,
Doug

Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by smoothy
............ the only major thing right now is the back glass sunblind that is broken. Replacing it may be way more then its worth...............
Doug,

The complete assembly will be a truly terrifying cost from Jaguar. However, if it's only parts that are broken or missing, you could do a repair more economically.

Here's the Parts Catalogue diagram and listing:

Greetings to all...-x350-sunblind.jpg

Seeing what parts are available separately may help your decision.

Graham

smoothy (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 11:17 AM

Graham, The parts that are broken are the tips of the arms that actually raise the screen. They are not shown in this diagram. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area? The arms must be shown as connected to the motor in a different diagram?
Doug

Old 03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by smoothy
Graham, The parts that are broken are the tips of the arms that actually raise the screen. They are not shown in this diagram. Perhaps I am looking in the wrong area? The arms must be shown as connected to the motor in a different diagram?
Doug
Doug,

The Parts Manual shows nothing more but the Rear Blind has reported issues for sticking.

There's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) about failed motors and operating arms:

JTB00114 - Rear Windshield Blind Motor & Arm.pdf

This includes Part Numbers for the motor and arm now available separately. I'll be a trip to the dealer for you to get further details on this.

Graham

smoothy (03-05-2013)