New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Greetings from Austria

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 08:03 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Greetings from Austria

I've just joined the forum, just saying hello! and introducing myself.

I'm Mark and I live in Carinthia southern Austria (5mins from Italy) I moved here from the UK and brought my babies with me. Apart from a collection of Kawasaki Motorcycles I have a 1995 X300 3.2 Sport and a 1987 XJ-S 3.6 Auto both of which I love.

I've loved Jags since the earlist days I can remember and promised myself an XJ-S when I first saw one on TV in 1975. Well at the tender age of 26 I managed to get my first one a 1985 3.6 Manual, one of only eight fitted with the X-pack (or so I was told) this car cemented my love affair with Jags and was rapidly followed by an 1986 XJ40 3.6 Auto, 1988 XJ40 3.6 Sovreign and a 1993 XJ40 4.0 Soveriegn, all of which I had at the same time, sadly I lost them all at the same time due to local authorities Illegally removing and crushing the cars whilst I was away on Holiday

I also lost a number of Classic Citroen cars too). Luckilly (I suppose) I was driving my recently purchased 1995 X300 3.2 Sport at the time, so that escaped the state mafia. (that was in 2003) in 2005 my wife bought me my current XJ-S and I managed to keep hold of both cars, bringing them with me here now to Austria, where they live in the Garage behind our guesthouse.

Both Cars are mechanically superb with the XJ-S having succumbed to the British weather, thankfully not seriously and plans are underway to bring her back to her full glory. (Being a self taught mechanic has some advantages).

That's it for the moment, just leaves me to add, I am quite mad, having now 8 motorcycles, 5 cars and a van! None of which are for sale!

Mark !

Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Hi Mark and welcome to this friendly Forum.
I've moved your interesting intro to New Members so we can say 'Hello', you've already found the right section for your car 'technical type' posts.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mark,

Excellent intro. Try to avoid any further crushing experiences with your vehicles!

I see you've already found you way to the XJS section so know where to go for help and advice.

Please also visit the UK Region section UK - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum for other members and events in mainland Europe.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 08-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mark and thanks for the introduction.

I think Graham meant to point you to the Europe Regional Section (see the link in my signature).

There are a few members from Austria, also Italy & Switzerland. If you don't mind driving a bit then there will be a few events coming up in the region.

I'm a bit confused, which country did the "local authorities Illegally removing and crushing the cars" happen???

Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard Mark, good to have you here with us

sounds like a collection and a half..........are you going to share any pics?

Any useful information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
Helpful_information

Why not drop in and visit the regional section for your area?
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

There's a really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun here.....

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 08-28-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum Mark,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:02 PM

Thankyou all for the fabulous welcome

Just to answer some of the questions, the 'crushed cars' was performed by Shrewsbury Coucil in Shropshire UK, Unfortunately I have never been in a position to sue them, but even that would never replace the vehicles, 3 Jags, 3 Citroens (2x CX and 1 BX), an LDV Van and a Kawasaki KH250.

The XJ-S was from everything I had learned one of the first 200 3.6 models produced, 1 of eight that had the X-Pack and the only surviving one. (slightly wider wheels, full burgundy leather, computer, lower and sportier suspension, limited slip rear diff....) I loved that car. and also my Beloved Citroen CX Estate which I'd had for 14 years and was like new despite having covered 300,000 miles under my ownership (this car my mother said she would bury me in, to which the reply was...ok, suits me)

It would be great to meetup with other enthusiasts in this area, Jags are such a rare car here. Unfortunately neither of mine will be turning up at any meets for the forseable future as neither are yet Austrian registered, something that can be expensive and a nightmare so I am constantly told.

I moved to Austria in October 2008, prior to that I was always in the UK.

On my wish list are a Mk10, Lister 500 and an XJ220 (when I win the lottery!).

Pics should be here:
Greetings from Austria-39_1_b.jpg
My Current XJ-S 3.6
Greetings from Austria-nui1251.jpg
My X300 3.2 Sport
Greetings from Austria-d241b560.jpg
The only pic I have of my First XJ-S
Greetings from Austria-jags1.jpg
My only pic of 2 of my XJ40's (no pic of the 93 Sovreign.)

Old 08-28-2012, 02:18 PM
GGG

The blue XJ-S you are using as your avatar has a Newcastle-upon-Tyne registration number and was therefore almost certainly supplied through the now departed Rossleigh when they held the North East distributorship.

Graham

Old 08-28-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
The blue XJ-S you are using as your avatar has a Newcastle-upon-Tyne registration number and was therefore almost certainly supplied through the now departed Rossleigh when they held the North East distributorship.

Graham
Well spotted that man! It was actually supplied by Dutton-Foreshaw, in Newcastle-Upon Tyne on 1st Aug 1987

I have a full Jaguar service history with the car, right up to date! It's actually due it's next service now, but that will have to wait for finances (I would normally do the servicing myself, but as this has a full history, i don't want to break it's provenance.)

Old 08-28-2012, 05:10 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by xjs36uk
Well spotted that man! It was actually supplied by Dutton-Foreshaw, in Newcastle-Upon Tyne on 1st Aug 1987

I have a full Jaguar service history with the car, right up to date! It's actually due it's next service now, but that will have to wait for finances (I would normally do the servicing myself, but as this has a full history, i don't want to break it's provenance.)
My XJ40 came from Dutton-Forshaw as a two year old end-of-lease. They were a good dealership.

Full service history for twenty five years is certainly something you want to keep going.

Graham

Old 08-29-2012, 02:21 PM

That is without a shadow of doubt, she actually just clocked up 100,000 miles on the way to Austria in 2008 and has been parked up ever since (in a dry Garage).
Funnily enough, she was sold by a dealer near London in 1988 (barely a year old) and over the years gradually worked her way back north, my wife buying her for me from Blackpool in February 2005 for the princly sum of £750, she then lived in Middlesbrough up until we 'escaped' to Austria in October 2008.

When purchased in 2005 she was virtually (visibly) rust free, one or two minor spots (which have of course rapidly got worse) and I must say she turned into a real bargain, the only fault I could find was the drivers window didn't go down! Soon rectified that by cleaning the switch, and the real test run came in 2006 when I drove her over to Germany on business, apart from attracting small crowds everytime I stopped, I did of course make use of the Austobahns and what a surprise to find that driving along at 145mph (flat out indicated) with the cruise control on, I could actually comfortably steer here with just two fingers, rarely have I driven any car, new or old, that was so well planted at such speeds, a real testament to the level of care she'd had in her past.