New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Greetings from a new owner.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011 | 08:00 PM
|
Default Greetings from a new owner.

Greetings,

My name is James and I reside in Palm Harbor, FL USA. Today I bought a '98 VDP with 85k miles. This is my first Jag and one thing that has always drawn me to them is the styling and more importantly, the long wheelbase. This car is in pretty good shape considering the age. Everything works except a few light bulbs. These are the kinds of problems we want!

I am a former Mercedes owner and I traded in my CLK cabrio for this car. I have two young kids and it just wasn't practical. I have very little doubt that when I tell people that I bought a Jag the first reaction will be a laugh. Those same people did so when I bought the Mercedes. The Mercedes was a vary reliable car and during the time I owned it all it needed were basics like tires or a battery. I'm hoping the Jag treats me well. Regardless, I know this isn't a cheap car and certain things may cost more. Such is life.

Anyway, I'm happy to have the car and to be here. I look forward to contributing to the site as well.

Old 03-04-2011 | 08:22 PM
Rae

dba-one: Welcome to the forum! There's plenty of information to be obtained here. Don't be shy about asking for help, do some homework first though, pull codes, let us know what you've looked at before asking for help, etc. Also, include your year and model in your signature block. You should read up on secondary timing chain tensioners. You'll want to address this before it becomes a problem. I joke about it, but buy some paper and toner for your printer. Also, download the JTIS manual (here somewhere) and electrical manual. Either of which can be got on e-bay (cd version). You'll find yourself printing out reams of paper. These cars can be challenging, but well worth the effort. Enjoy your ride!

Old 03-04-2011 | 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey dba, +1 on the welcomes already received.
You've joined one of the friendliest sites around Good to have you here with us .......

Do yourself a HUGE favour and read / re read the FAQ quick link thread.....there's tons of info there for you.

There's some great guys / techs here and always plenty going on, great info and usually plenty of banter.

I've manually upgaded you to full forum access so jump right in and enjoy

Old 03-05-2011 | 09:21 AM

Welcome to the forum Dba,

Let people scoff, you will be the one cruising in the Jag.

Old 03-05-2011 | 10:09 AM
|

Thanks all. Before I bought the car I did some research on the timing chain and some other items. I also brought my OBDII tool. The only code was for a tranny position sensor. I don't think the guy I bought it from expected me to bring this tool!

Old 03-05-2011 | 09:10 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.