New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Greetings from NY. Need advise

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from NY. Need advise

Good afternoon,
I do not own a Jaguar currently but in the market for a new car.
I currently have BMW X5 3.0 -purchased new in 2008. Apart from electronic glitches early on, all has been relatively well, until last year or so. - one thing after another....

Well, I really like Jaguar F-Pace and it's my number 1 consideration.
I would like to hear your opinion on this SUV, as well as opinion about Jaguar in general, particularly its reliability, residual value and so on... For those of you who had other luxury brands, how do they compare to Jaguar?
Is maintenance more expensive and more frequent compared to other brands (MB, BMW..)?

Would you recommend leasing or buying? Personally I prefer purchase, but asking from a standpoint of car lasting problem free and ease of resale... I bought my X5 and held on to it for almost 9 years - I calculated that I saved around 18-19K in 8.5 years compared to leasing same car similarly equipped .(I would be on my 3rd lease).

Is there a particular time when you know it's time to get rid of the car? I hear from people who have luxury cars that after 5 years you are running a risk. Although for me it was 7 years major issues free.

Thank you in advance,

Ed

Old 10-31-2016, 02:11 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ed,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

It's too early to get any real data on F-Pace reliability let alone resale values. Follow this link F-Pace (X761) / C-X17 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the F-Pace forum for help, advice and information from members with this model.

You can also visit the US Northeast Region forum by following this link US Northeast - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
teatrtenei (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,353 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Hello, Ed,
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-31-2016, 03:31 PM
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Welcome aboard Ed.

Old 10-31-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

unfortunately the discussion of leasing vs buying has been beaten to death. each has its pro's and con's...but at the end of the day it really comes down to you and your personal finances.

some people like to buy cars and burn them to the ground before the consider getting another one. others (like me) like having a new car every few weeks! Leasing has tax advantages as well, i use mine as a business expense. leasing locks you into a contract that's somewhat difficult to get out of, but at the same time leasing is sometimes cheaper than financing for a new car. At the end of the day you wont own your car when you lease, and if you lease for 10+ years, you'll just be making payments for nothing, expensive payments. whereas the longer you keep a purchased car, the "cheaper" it is. Also with leased vehicles, you never have to worry about diminished value and reselling because of an accident

when do you get rid of a purchased car? well thats up to you. when you're bored of it. when it starts running into problems left and right.

my understanding is the F-Paces are leasing higher than expected because of their demand.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Received 10,520 Likes on 6,949 Posts

Welcome.

Old 10-31-2016, 10:02 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Ed,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-01-2016, 06:27 AM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 11-01-2016, 08:15 AM

Thank you for a warm welcome everyone!

Old 11-01-2016, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by carzaddict
unfortunately the discussion of leasing vs buying has been beaten to death. each has its pro's and con's...but at the end of the day it really comes down to you and your personal finances.

some people like to buy cars and burn them to the ground before the consider getting another one. others (like me) like having a new car every few weeks! Leasing has tax advantages as well, i use mine as a business expense. leasing locks you into a contract that's somewhat difficult to get out of, but at the same time leasing is sometimes cheaper than financing for a new car. At the end of the day you wont own your car when you lease, and if you lease for 10+ years, you'll just be making payments for nothing, expensive payments. whereas the longer you keep a purchased car, the "cheaper" it is. Also with leased vehicles, you never have to worry about diminished value and reselling because of an accident

when do you get rid of a purchased car? well thats up to you. when you're bored of it. when it starts running into problems left and right.

my understanding is the F-Paces are leasing higher than expected because of their demand.

Thank you for your reply to my post. Yes, I agree with all the points you mentioned in lease vs buy. I was just trying to look at it from the actual car quality point of view. If cars are more problematic only after a few years than it doesn't make sense to purchase even for those who like buying vs leasing. I know that I can hold on to a car for a long time as long as it's the "dream car" . If it's something that i can afford but not fully in love with it, i will find every excuse to get rid of it as soon as I can...
So, basically the questions remains: how is Jaguar reliability compared to other brands? ( I know it's premature to talk about F-Pace , but other models Also, talking about recent years under the new management). If there are issues , how is Jaguar's customer service?
Thank you,
Ed

Old 11-01-2016, 10:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Ed,

I've just replied to a post on one of our forums where the member was ranting about Jaguar customer service! In fairness, I've got to say we only hear the bad experiences because members rarely post when things have gone smoothly.

Jaguar build quality and reliability has improved enormously in the last few years initially under Sir John Egan and then continuing under Ford ownership.

BUT - Jaguars do need regular maintenance and are possibly not as robust as other premium marques. If you don't really 'want' to own a Jaguar then it may not be the marque for you.

Graham

Old 11-01-2016, 11:00 AM

Thank you Graham! I do like Jaguars and will do some further research...

Ed

Old 11-05-2016, 08:23 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 11-06-2016, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 898 Posts

Welcome to the passionate world of Jaguar and these forums.
Enjoy!