New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Greetings from Sunny... I Mean From Dreary Seattle, USA.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Greetings from Sunny... I Mean From Dreary Seattle, USA.

Just dropping by; have been driving BMWs for the last 12 years, now coming to the end of what will likely be my last BMW Lease, don't think I'm ever going back. This of course feels like ending a long term relationship. BMW used to be my one and only, prettiest and smartest and all of that, but things have been going wrong for the last couple of years and it's time to part ways. Wheels came off the bus with this last generation. So I have spent the last year driving and considering all sorts of vehicles new and used. Why not try em' all, figure I'm a lover of FUN cars in whatever form they may take, if they make me laugh and smile, then I'm in.

Hell, drove a 2016 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 and a 2011 Porsche 911 Carrera S in the same day, so admittedly I'm all over the map right now. (Challenger easily more grins and silliness VS the Porsche's somewhat serious and disinterested nature FWIW)

SO, here to learn about the XKR that I'm considering and see what the community is about. Drove another XKR today, and am really leaning towards a classy GT. Then again, might say to hell with it, buy a freaking Golf R and be done with it.

Anyway, here to learn, ask questions, and find out what the Jaguar community is like.

Thanks for reading!

Also, yes a LOT of Caffeine.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Merovean,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link XK / XKR ( X150 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK/XKR forum for help, advice and information.

You can also visit the US Northwest Region forum by following this link US Northwest - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Merovean (04-01-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 03:40 AM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Merovean (04-01-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:54 AM
Received 10,469 Likes on 6,914 Posts

Welcome.

Choices, bugga.

Merovean (04-01-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 06:33 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Merovean (04-01-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 08:37 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Merovean,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Last edited by Norri; 03-29-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Merovean (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Merovean
SO, here to learn about the XKR that I'm considering and see what the community is about. Drove another XKR today, and am really leaning towards a classy GT. Then again, might say to hell with it, buy a freaking Golf R and be done with it.

Anyway, here to learn, ask questions, and find out what the Jaguar community is like.
British cars namely Jaguar and then an XKR GT is a completely different world from the run of the mill, German or Japanese import. Its like comparing Seattle to Vegas. I love Seattle, I rather take rain and authentic green than sunshine and artificial turf.

The XKR is in a league of it own. Assuming you are looking at the 5.0. It outperforms a Gallardo, in every regard, then you have the comfort, reliability and gas mileage- important unless you like filling up every day.

A Jaguar is car you buy to impress yourself. Not too many want to do that, most in reality buy cars to impress others. It also happens to be the most beautiful car ever made according to Enzo Ferrari (he was speaking of the Etype that the XKR is a copy of) Women get this too. Golf R is the car to get when you are still young enough to compete with all the pizza delivery and uber guys.

In Seattle, an XKR truly comes into its own and stands out from crowd. Its the sort of car that even greenies look at and say, now thats worth burning fossil fuels. (BTW, fossil fuels is a misnomer, it implies it comes from fossils. We in fact dont know the true source of oil, we know it cant be fossils because we have used more of it than could have been produced with all the fossils since beginning of time)

Old 03-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Merovean (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
British cars namely Jaguar and then an XKR GT is a completely different world from the run of the mill, German or Japanese import. Its like comparing Seattle to Vegas. I love Seattle, I rather take rain and authentic green than sunshine and artificial turf.

The XKR is in a league of it own. Assuming you are looking at the 5.0. It outperforms a Gallardo, in every regard, then you have the comfort, reliability and gas mileage- important unless you like filling up every day.

A Jaguar is car you buy to impress yourself. Not too many want to do that, most in reality buy cars to impress others. It also happens to be the most beautiful car ever made according to Enzo Ferrari (he was speaking of the Etype that the XKR is a copy of) Women get this too. Golf R is the car to get when you are still young enough to compete with all the pizza delivery and uber guys.

In Seattle, an XKR truly comes into its own and stands out from crowd. Its the sort of car that even greenies look at and say, now thats worth burning fossil fuels. (BTW, fossil fuels is a misnomer, it implies it comes from fossils. We in fact dont know the true source of oil, we know it cant be fossils because we have used more of it than could have been produced with all the fossils since beginning of time)
I appreciate the welcome and kind words regarding Seattle. It's become my home accidentally, grew up in Colorado, had always planned on moving back until the first time I drove up to Seattle. I stepped outside and was hooked on the sweet, freshly washed air, it's awesome. Mild all year, skiing and surfing in the same day if you're motivated, and plenty of twisty roads to play on.

As for car buying, have been all over the place this time around. The Porsche 911 was always going to be next, but after driving a few examples, I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something. Then drove the C7 Corvette, found that really surprisingly good, not just fast, but actually solid and put together. Actually it was the Corvette that brought me to back to Jaguar. It got me thinking more about a front engined powerful GT that I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in. Yeah guess I'm shallow, perception matters to me and I don't know if I can muster the strength of character needed to drive a Vette.

Really narrows the choices though, something not too overt, but fast, reliable, good for 5k mile road trips (about once a year), and that I enjoy looking at. Pretty much left with a Mercedes SL 63 AMG, the XKR, and maybe an Audi RS5. Out of all of them, it is the Jag that stands out while still remaining classy. I don't think I'll garner nearly as much hate in the Jag as I seem to in the BMW.

But yeah, I can prattle on for hours. Thank you again for the welcome, and for being enthusiastic about your Jag, it's that enthusiasm that I find encouraging.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,383 Likes on 1,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Merovean
I appreciate the welcome and kind words regarding Seattle. It's become my home accidentally, grew up in Colorado, had always planned on moving back until the first time I drove up to Seattle. I stepped outside and was hooked on the sweet, freshly washed air, it's awesome. Mild all year, skiing and surfing in the same day if you're motivated, and plenty of twisty roads to play on.

As for car buying, have been all over the place this time around. The Porsche 911 was always going to be next, but after driving a few examples, I'm pretty sure that I'm missing something. Then drove the C7 Corvette, found that really surprisingly good, not just fast, but actually solid and put together. Actually it was the Corvette that brought me to back to Jaguar. It got me thinking more about a front engined powerful GT that I wouldn't be embarrassed to be seen in. Yeah guess I'm shallow, perception matters to me and I don't know if I can muster the strength of character needed to drive a Vette.

Really narrows the choices though, something not too overt, but fast, reliable, good for 5k mile road trips (about once a year), and that I enjoy looking at. Pretty much left with a Mercedes SL 63 AMG, the XKR, and maybe an Audi RS5. Out of all of them, it is the Jag that stands out while still remaining classy. I don't think I'll garner nearly as much hate in the Jag as I seem to in the BMW.

But yeah, I can prattle on for hours. Thank you again for the welcome, and for being enthusiastic about your Jag, it's that enthusiasm that I find encouraging.
The Audi and Merc are neither here nor there in terms of being outstanding. They could easily be any other car from Germany sans the speed. Sadly being coveted by youngsters doesnt help, when it comes be being constantly challenged at red lights and theft. The Jaguar only seems to catch the eye of the well healed. They also have a reputation for being cars driven by the arrogant sort, it doesnt help pulling up in one of those at a quaint restaurant in Port Angeles.

I was at the same junction, deciding what car, my choices were the same. I thank my stars I did not go German or domestic, I will have plenty of time later on in life to accept mediocrity. Incidentally, the merc and audi are fundamentally sedans that have been further spruced up. The XKR is built ground up to be a cat, herein lies to me the biggest differentiation....

...The XKR was designed with the sole aim of making a machine as close to an actual living thing as possible. Much goes into giving something a soul. Ian Callum said it the most 'alive' thing ever designed. German cars on the other hand are like German music bands, it simply cannot have a character of its own, it must be a machine. So for instance; An Audi V10 does 50-70mph in 3 seconds, much longer on the Vette, the XKR does it in 1.9- for that cat like pounce, its addictive.

In the maintenance dept, the Jaguar 5.0 is a much better engine with no known design flaws. The Audi is struggling with carbon build up. An expensive process. As has the Vette, it blew 2 engines while being reviewed. The XKR is unmatched in long trips, it just eats up the road as one reviewer rightly described. The rear seats are for champagne only, but then again if you could live with a Vette, this gives you a place to hang your coat. Principally you are getting a proper luxury sports car. The Jaguar mantra of Pace, Space and Grace have been best embodied in this Jaguar.

If you eye one up, ask one of us here and we will help you pick a good one.

Merovean (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
The Audi and Merc are neither here nor there in terms of being outstanding. They could easily be any other car from Germany sans the speed. Sadly being coveted by youngsters doesnt help, when it comes be being constantly challenged at red lights and theft. The Jaguar only seems to catch the eye of the well healed. They also have a reputation for being cars driven by the arrogant sort, it doesnt help pulling up in one of those at a quaint restaurant in Port Angeles.

I was at the same junction, deciding what car, my choices were the same. I thank my stars I did not go German or domestic, I will have plenty of time later on in life to accept mediocrity. Incidentally, the merc and audi are fundamentally sedans that have been further spruced up. The XKR is built ground up to be a cat, herein lies to me the biggest differentiation....

...The XKR was designed with the sole aim of making a machine as close to an actual living thing as possible. Much goes into giving something a soul. Ian Callum said it the most 'alive' thing ever designed. German cars on the other hand are like German music bands, it simply cannot have a character of its own, it must be a machine. So for instance; An Audi V10 does 50-70mph in 3 seconds, much longer on the Vette, the XKR does it in 1.9- for that cat like pounce, its addictive.

In the maintenance dept, the Jaguar 5.0 is a much better engine with no known design flaws. The Audi is struggling with carbon build up. An expensive process. As has the Vette, it blew 2 engines while being reviewed. The XKR is unmatched in long trips, it just eats up the road as one reviewer rightly described. The rear seats are for champagne only, but then again if you could live with a Vette, this gives you a place to hang your coat. Principally you are getting a proper luxury sports car. The Jaguar mantra of Pace, Space and Grace have been best embodied in this Jaguar.

If you eye one up, ask one of us here and we will help you pick a good one.
I certainly will and thank you for your time. I appreciate the insights. Watched a video on youtube the other day, I'm sure you've seen it.
Was really pretty inspiring watching these being built with so much hands on effort and real skill.

Might be getting closer to a decision. Thanks again.

Old 03-31-2016, 04:29 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Merovean (04-01-2016)