New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013 | 12:31 PM
|
Default Hello

I hope I am doing this right. I am computer illiterate and have never joined any kind of a forum before. I don't even know what the word "thread" means. Anyway, I am attempting my Introduction as a new member. If this is not how you do it, would someone please me know.

I am age 66, retired lawyer and not a mechanic, but I have some minimal do-it-yourself skills.

I have 3 Jaguars: a 1999 XJ8, a 1958 XK 150 fhc and 1997 XK8 convertible. I have had the XJ8 for about 10 years and have never had a single problem with it other than replacing worn upholstery on the driver's seat, replacing tires and brakes and putting gas in it. It has 135,000 miles on it.

I had an almost identical 2000 XJ8 that I bought for my wife that ran pretty well for a few years and then just "died". Transmission gave out with no hope of recovery. I should have kept it for the parts but foolishly donated to Capital Public Radio for a miserably small tax deduction.

The XK 150 took 7 years to restore and was just finished this past month. I did a lot of the work and farmed out what I couldn't do. It is a driver with many upgrades including improved cooling system (new radiator and electric fan), 5-speed transmission, lighter damper, upgraded clutch, conversion of generator to Don Alan's "Genernator" (alternator built into XK 150 generator case), negative ground, electronic ignition, sound system, street performance cams, increased compression, and 3 dual throat Webers. I would post a picture if I knew how to do it. Maybe I will learn as time goes on.

My reason for joining this forum is the XK8 which I bought on eBay on a whim for $4,100 and had shipped from Pennsylvania. Just unloaded it off the truck last week and drove it a little bit. I totally love the car but it has many problems. Upholstery and paint are all manageable and being tended to. Mechanically, I am stumped. It will go to a mechanic next week for whatever needs to be done.

Shortly after its arrival the engine started making a lot of noise which I am guessing is the timing chain. I have stopped driving it until repairs are made. But the main reason for joining the forum is that the "vehicle poor performance" light came on and went off several times before the timing chain got bad. My Actron CP9180 gave me two codes: P1111 and P1226.

I guess I will stop with the introduction and try to find information at this point. I know all about the P1111 and have read some about the P1226, which seems to be a mystery as it is not listed in the Workshop Manual (which I have downloaded) and a lot of people seem to be asking about it.

I will now try to dive into the forums to try to track down some information about it. I guess this was too long, but anyway, that's who I am, what Jaguars I own and why I am here.

Hello to you all.

Robert Millsap

Last edited by GGG; 11-03-2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: insert line breaks
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013 | 12:49 PM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Robert,

Good to have you here with us at Jaguar Forums. You're doing fine so far. Your Intro is a 'thread' and replies to it are 'posts'.

Please use line breaks as a single block of text is harder to read.

Follow this link XK8 / XKR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK8/XKR forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

I'll give you a start with the P1226. Here's the possible causes from the Jaguar DTC Listing for your Model Year:

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Western Region forum by following this link Western US - AK CA NV OR UT HI WA ID - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails Hello-p1226.jpg  

Last edited by GGG; 11-03-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2013 | 01:32 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Robert,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 11-03-2013 | 01:35 PM
|
Lightbulb Thank you

Graham,

Thank you so much! Your attachment, which I received almost immediately after making the inquiry about the P1226 code, is more information than I have been able to find in days and days of searching. It is exactly what I was looking for. I don't understand why it isn't in the manual or how you managed to find it, but I am very grateful.

This is very interesting because the person who sold me the car said he was having trouble with the cruise control but had no clue why. And right under "Default Action" your attachment says "Inhibits cruise control." Amazing.

The forum has already paid off in spades for me. I will edit my signature as you suggest.

Thanks again,

Robert

Old 11-03-2013 | 01:45 PM
GGG

Robert,

Which 'Workshop Manual' have you downloaded?

JTIS (Jaguar Technical Information System) is the factory shop manual for all models from 1995 to 2004.

The extract for P1226 I posted is from the full DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) listing for your Model and Year which forms part of JTIS.

Graham

Old 11-03-2013 | 02:16 PM
|
Default Uh Oh!

Looks like I have the wrong one. I can't exactly tell you which one, except that I thought I was downloading one that covered all XK8's, 1997-2006. However, when I got it there were two manuals, one for 1999 and one for 2003. I got it from some web site whose location I can't recall. Obviously, I have the wrong thing. How do I obtain the one you mentioned (JTIS)?

Thank you.

Old 11-03-2013 | 02:22 PM

welcome to the forum - plenty of info and support here just follow the links Graham provided. To download the JTIS for your XK8 - if using Windows XP use this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bmorw1escearp

If Windows 7 use this link:

http://www.mediafire.com/?987a1qjb2aal7

Old 11-03-2013 | 02:33 PM
|

Thank you sklimii

Old 11-03-2013 | 02:35 PM
GGG

Robert,

If you are confident at downloading and installing software, just follow Steve's links for the appropriate version of JTIS.

If you need more detailed help with the installation, follow this link:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...rchives-65926/

Graham

rrmillsap (11-03-2013)
Old 11-03-2013 | 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there and welcome aboard ....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or looking for General info about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

See you in the forums....

rrmillsap (11-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013 | 08:33 PM
|

Thanks to everyone who helped me download JTIS. It took a while I actually had to recruit my stepson to do it. It was totally over my head. I think he said there were like 28 pages of instructions. It must take more skill to download the JTIS than it does to work on a Jaguar. Anyway, we successfully did it, and it is very helpful. Thanks again.

GGG (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013 | 02:50 AM
GGG

Robert,

Good to hear you've got JTIS up and running. It really is an essential information source for working on later Jaguars.

Thanks for letting us know.

Graham