New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012 | 02:20 AM
|
Default Hello

Just wanted to say hello, i've recently bought a 1998 XK8 in silver with 80k on the clock.

Bodywork and engine/gearbox appear to be in great condition. With just a few minor jobs to do.

First one to crack on with is the headlining.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Old 02-19-2012 | 07:26 AM
JKo

Welcome regedit! Great nickname, I guess you're a windows user And congrats on the purchase, rather low mileagle for a '98 car. Tensioners done?

Old 02-19-2012 | 07:40 AM

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
+1 on the tensioner question.

You should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 02-19-2012 | 10:30 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by regedit
Just wanted to say hello, i've recently bought a 1998 XK8 in silver with 80k on the clock.

Bodywork and engine/gearbox appear to be in great condition. With just a few minor jobs to do.

First one to crack on with is the headlining.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
'regedit' - if you're into the OS you'll be right at home with Jaguar electronics

Old 02-20-2012 | 04:33 AM
|

Not sure about tensioners.

First owner had it up to 54k in 2006, since then its only done 25k in the last 6 years with the second owner and now me. I have jaguar stamps up to 54k but not the breakdown sheet of what was actually done. Does anyone know if the tensioners were part of the mileage based servicing?

Thanks for all the replies by the way.

Old 02-20-2012 | 04:52 AM
GGG

Not sure about tensioners.

First owner had it up to 54k in 2006, since then its only done 25k in the last 6 years with the second owner and now me. I have jaguar stamps up to 54k but not the breakdown sheet of what was actually done. Does anyone know if the tensioners were part of the mileage based servicing?

Thanks for all the replies by the way.
Don't forget to follow Norri's advice about adding your car details to your signature. I had to go back to your original post to find it's a 1998 XK8.

The items carried out on each service are summarised in the Maintenance Schedules handbook. If you don't have a copy, follow this link to my post with all the XK8 handbooks:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-2003-a-67827/

Tensioner replacement is NOT part of mileage/time based scheduled servicing, although they could well have been done by the dealer at the same time.

Graham

Old 02-20-2012 | 05:15 AM
|

Well i suppose, that leads me to the obvious question......How much am i looking at to replace the tensioners?

Signature is now edited. Sorry.

Old 02-20-2012 | 05:29 AM
GGG

Well i suppose, that leads me to the obvious question......How much am i looking at to replace the tensioners?

Signature is now edited. Sorry.
The Admins will soon jump in asking you to put technical questions in the appropriate section as this area is meant to be for introductions only.

You can typically source a set of tensioners and chains for around £300. Put a new thread on XK8 / XKR section and you'll get plenty of responses on procedure and suppliers.

Graham

Old 02-20-2012 | 06:38 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there and welcome to JF good to have you here with us ....
There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or even just to have a few laughs!

As Graham says, this section is really just a welcome / intro area......Please jump in to the relevant section and ask away......we'll all help as much as we can......great guys here.....
A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
so jump on in and enjoy