New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello again to everyone

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014 | 03:42 AM
|
Smile Hello again to everyone

Hi fellow cat lovers. I have been out of membership for a while so it is appropriate to reintroduce myself. I purchased my first Jaguar (an E-type FHC) in Los Angeles in 1968. I had left the Air Force and started work at Hughes Aircraft as an engineer and missed flying. After a clutch problem at 6 months, I started doing all the maintenance on it. I raced and rallied it over the next 20 years. Later I flew often to England as an airline pilot and rebuilt a 1967 420 sedan in Manchester. It has been driven about 55000 km around UK and Europe since then. Right now I am in England and am working on it to sort out some MOT items and clean it up.

In the 80s and early 90s I helped run a (mostly Jaguar) restoration business and accumulated an number of older Jaguars. To prove I am a true Jaguar nut my collection (although many need restoration or are for parts) I have 5 - Mark V FHCs, 1 Mk V DHC (in restoration), 1955 XK 140 MC, my original E-type and an R-type Bentley.

Unfortunately, while attempting to cross the street in 1992 while replacing the Bentley starter I was run over as a pedestrian by a young man who left the road and hit me with his truck at an estimated 55 mph according to the police. I had many broken bones, internal injuries and a brain injury. When I came out of the coma I had to relearn to speak (I would say a synonym, something close to what I meant or the right word in the wrong language and would get upset when people did not answer me), relearn to walk, and could not remember anything from my past that did not involve significant emotion. Yet every night for about 6 years I would awaken after 60-90 minutes, soaking wet with sweat and with a pounding heart because I was "reliving" an emotion event from my past.

I was getting little help from several therapists - they did not understand brain injury. I went back to my employer and worked as a volunteer in the office to "get my brain working" doing something I had done for most of my life. I also went around the US and overseas to seminars to see if there was anything I could do to help others - since no one helped me. With my former employers blessing I returned to grad school and became a therapist working with brain injury, PTSD, and abuse. I worked for the state brain injury association as its education chair, then was in a similar position with other nonprofits and governmental organizations. For the past 17 years I have spent most of my time and resources helping others affected by brain injury of various types. All has been free of charge. I am currently president of a nonprofit, the Center for Brain Injury Education, that gives out information free of charge to hundreds of people every month. Motor vehicles are still the number one cause of moderate to severe brain injuries - please feel free to contact me for any information.

Following my accident I have accumulated a number of running newer Jaguars with the help of acquaintances who have told me about these cars. They include a XK8 FHC, XJ8 VDP and XJ8 LWB. SO I am truly a "Jaguar Nut". I hope you all have a great day and thanks for reading this.

Robert

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (09-23-2014)
Old 09-23-2014 | 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, Supermoderator and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.

Old 09-23-2014 | 06:04 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Robert,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

That's a great collection. I can see you've already found your way to the tech forums so there's no need for links from me.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the USA North East Region forum by following this link USA North East - ME NH VT MA RI CT NJ NY PA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 09-23-2014 | 07:01 AM

welcome - you will find a wealth of info and support here - enjoy!!

Old 09-23-2014 | 07:03 AM

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-23-2014 | 02:24 PM

Welcome to the forum Robert,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.