New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello to all

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 02:45 AM
Geo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello to all

Hi to all!

I am a new member here and am happy to have found this website. It will be good to have connections to other Jag owners and enthusiasts.

Jaguar is a beautiful car but it seems it is a complicated car to understand at times. I am a first time Jaguar owner of a beautiful 2004 XJ8. I love the car and everywhere I go people tell me "Great looking car" and I agree but recently I have been having the dreaded Air Suspension Fault issues and no mechanic yet has been able to figure it out. I have seen three already and they each claimed to understand the air suspension systems. If anyone has experienced the "dreaded drop" and have found solutions for their problem I would love to hear of what your "fixes" were.

So far I have replaced two front air springs with remanufactured springs/struts from Arnott

My problems started at 60,000 miles after seeing the front driver side suspension was down.

My first mechanic told me I needed a new front air spring and it was best to replace both front springs when replacing one. He replaced the front air springs but when he was finished both the front and back driver side springs were down. He could not get them to inflate.
The second mechanic said he knew all about the air systems but kept my Jag for a month trying to figure it out. After 4 weeks of thought he was able to get it to lift; however he could not get the ASF light to clear. The car looked as if the suspension issue was fixed and drove fine for a week; But then both front springs collapsed

I then had it towed to a "Jag Only" repair shop (20 years in Jag only business). He aired everything up and said he thought everything was fine (he also could not get the ASF light to clear). I drove it home but by the next morning the front had dropped 2 1/2 inches. The car aired back up somewhat on its own and I was able to drive it back in. He air tested both springs and said one was leaking. I secured another one from Arnott (sent the so called leaking one back). He put the new air spring on and claimed he tested both front air springs for leaks and there were none. Took the car home and the next morning both front air springs are back down. He is scratching his head now and suggesting I return both springs to Arnott
and then to replace the entire air suspension system with a conventional one.

I have doubts that the new remanufactured air springs are my problem. I speak to Arnott
and they say they have not had any issues with their air springs/struts except last winter in the "north" with the cold weather; they said they had troubles then and had to redesign product components to correct the cold weather issues. I live in Houston and it is not cold here.

Can anyone tell me of other air system components
in our Jag that could cause my issues (assuming that the air springs are not faulty)????

All replies would be greatly appreciated and once I get this all figured out I will share my discoveries with you!

Ge (george)

Old 06-24-2011, 05:49 AM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to the forum George,

I see that you have asked over in the XJ8 forum, I'm sure some of the experts will help you out there.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:31 PM
Geo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by norri
Welcome to the forum George,

I see that you have asked over in the XJ8 forum, I'm sure some of the experts will help you out there.
Yes you are right. As you are aware I am new to the forums.

I suppose my mentioning my issue here "in the new member area" may not have been appropriate

I'm learning!

Old 06-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi George welcome to the forum, don't worry about being 'inappropriate' we understand, and take some small pride in being a pretty tolerant bunch. Help is always better than hit.

Anyhow you have an expensive and frustrating problem, hardly surprising that you are going to mention it.

As Norri says, stick with the guys over in the XJ8 section, sadly you are not alone with this problem.