New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from Australia Downunder

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:06 AM
|
Default Hello from Australia Downunder

Hello

I live in Point Cook, Melbourne, Victoria, home to the oldest OPERATING Military Airbase in the World, 100 years old, very interesting place.

I have just purchased my first classic car a Jaguar XJ6 L Series II

It was built in June 1974. First registered in Victoria Australia in September 1974
Colour Sable Brown with Biscuit Colour Leather interior

Original owner passed away in 1991, loving Wife kept it garaged till she passed away in 2014.

Car still had it's original Dunlop Aquajets tyres fitted, now has been fitted with new Michelin Energy XM2 same tyre size as the Dunlop's

Car speedometer reads a genuine 25,758 kM's at the time I was lucky enough to purchase it.

The rear bench seat appears to have never been travel in. only seat shown any wear of course is the drivers seat.

First change to the car will be a timber walnut auto shifter handle replacing plastic handle.

This is a big change for me as I would like to try my luck in concours events with this Jaguar.

My normal form of transport is in the wife's 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, Then my highly modified 99 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 6i and currently doing a ground up restoration on a 1979 Jeep CJ 7 with a AMC 360cui V8, rear diff is currently being assembled and I have started to paint the sand blasted chassis, getting exciting now.

Attached Thumbnails Hello from Australia Downunder-image.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014 | 08:23 AM

Hi cherren, Welcome to the forum.....you mention Jeep? I'm a believer.
(it's a Jeep thing,you wouldn't understand). Then again,it's a Jeep thing I don't understand!
I just love them,but my veteran XJ Cherokee just today has been posted for sale to make room for a whinging cat.

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:44 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum cherren,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow this link XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJ6 Series I, II & III forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the Australia Victoria / Tasmania Region forum by following this link Australia - Victoria / Tasmania - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 09-12-2014 | 08:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hello, and a Hearty Welcome to another Xj6 Series II owner!
Concourse might be more reasonable in Oz than in USA but here, you've already made a mistake by replacing the original tires.

We look forward to seeing pictures of your car over in our room.
XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Welcome from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 09-12-2014 | 10:09 AM
Veteran Member
Default Welcome to Jaguar Forums

Hello Warren ,,, and greetings from your next door neighbours in NSW&ACT. Congratulations on scoring such a beauty but, yes, as ElinorB points out for the US, the path here to the top dais in Australian Concours d'Elegannce can be daunting ... but equally, very rewarding. As for the Aquajets, don't discard that gearshift handle without careful thought.

Good advice from Graham [GGG] also ... especially to jump into the VIC&TAS Region and introduce yourself there. You will find yourself surrounded by Neil, Steve and a sizable bunch of members. You will also find your XJ will not be lonely either ... we have seen some real beauties emerge over past months. They are planning a get together this month ... check for details.
So very best wishes for a rewarding experience ... enjoy,
Ken

Old 09-12-2014 | 01:04 PM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums cherren,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 09-12-2014 | 04:46 PM
|

Originally Posted by LnrB
Hello, and a Hearty Welcome to another Xj6 Series II owner!
Concourse might be more reasonable in Oz than in USA but here, you've already made a mistake by replacing the original tires.

We look forward to seeing pictures of your car over in our room.
XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Welcome from ElinorB.
(';')
To dangerous to drive on the 40 year old tyres, did you read the thread where the Jag owner brought new tyres from Costco they turn out to be 10 year old Michelins and of course he had a high speed blowout at 5,000 miles

I have kept the Auqajets looking for a nice set of Jag mags to put my new Michelins on ( Bob Jane TMart) and mount the Aquajets on the steel rims, will have to use a car trailer to get to concours meets.

Thank you for the warm welcome I have also joined the Victorian Jaguar owners club,

I will be keeping all the original bits I change to put back on later for concourse meets, could be deflating experience. Looking forward to my first meeting with the VJOC, first will have to change all the fluids, and rubber bits that hold the fluids ( radiator hose) and do a few trips less then 100 distance from home(free pick up from roadside service)

I have brought a club badge do you loses point for having them attached to the car??

Old 09-12-2014 | 05:22 PM

Welcome to the forum cherren, nice to have you with us.

Regarding the Concours different clubs have different judging criteria, but if you have a look at the National Rally Manual in the 1st post of this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...-detat-124867/ it will give you an idea of what's involved.

Concours D'Elegance is extreme when it comes to originality, but tyres do have some leeway since "are considered expendable and may be replaced only with comparable or superior equipment of original size and compatibility with the vehicle. (Refer to Annexure A of this Chapter)."

The Concours D'Etat does not penalise for authenticity, something to keep in mind.

Old 09-12-2014 | 07:42 PM

cherren,

Welcome to the forum!

Cheers,

Don

Old 09-13-2014 | 08:02 AM

welcome to the forum!!!

Old 09-13-2014 | 10:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cherren
To dangerous to drive on the 40 year old tyres, did you read the thread where the Jag owner brought new tyres from Costco they turn out to be 10 year old Michelins and of course he had a high speed blowout at 5,000 miles

I have kept the Auqajets looking for a nice set of Jag mags to put my new Michelins on ( Bob Jane TMart) and mount the Aquajets on the steel rims, will have to use a car trailer to get to concours meets.

Thank you for the warm welcome I have also joined the Victorian Jaguar owners club,

I will be keeping all the original bits I change to put back on later for concourse meets, could be deflating experience. Looking forward to my first meeting with the VJOC, first will have to change all the fluids, and rubber bits that hold the fluids ( radiator hose) and do a few trips less then 100 distance from home(free pick up from roadside service)

I have brought a club badge do you loses point for having them attached to the car??
Actually, Cherren, I was the one who blew the 10 year old Michelin from COSTCO on the curve at 70mph after only 5000 miles. I would *Never* suggest someone drive on old tires!

My point was, regarding Concourse, at least in USA, when one SHOWS a car one probably doesn't drive it. JCNA has become quite narrow in their requirements for sanctioned Concourse and one is dinged for every item that is not original. The Concourse crowd go to great lengths to keep the car original with Original parts, or at least New Old parts.

In USA if you want to participate in Concourse you don't drive the car anywhere and certainly not to the show, you trailer it (preferably in a closed van) to the site, drive it out and park it, and when the show is over you trailer it back home where it's Immediately parked in a garage, covered with a dust proof fitted cover and never sees daylight until the next show.

I apologize if I gave the wrong impression above. You certainly Must Not Ever drive on old tires no matter how good they look.

If the original tires are still on hand, and you Really want to show the car, have 2 sets, one to drive and one to show.

I have seen a number of cars with club badges and trophies. However, rules in your area may differ so it would be best to check before you affix your club emblem.
(';')

Old 09-14-2014 | 07:24 AM
|

Thank you LnrB

No wrong impression given and you are spot on about concours requirements all of them

I think we will go into the concours as a life experience a one off (done did it) I don't have enough life left to leave a beautiful car parked in garage inside a balloon, nor enough $$$ to buy another Jaguar which were built to enjoy driving, we will just do the classics or chrome bumper meets, just like the Jeeps which have a metal not plastic just right for my 79 Jeep
Thanks for the advice, intend in the new year to put the timber shift handle on, may even make it myself as I do Woodturning as hobby, timber steering wheel, set of 2nd Jag mag, love wire wheels again $$$ and a set of those SS Mubarak guard protectors
Thanks for the advice Warren

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (09-14-2014)
Old 09-14-2014 | 11:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default Concours Jaguars ... learning, loving and having fun

Good on yer Warren ... please give it a go. You will have fun; learn heaps ... you will be smitten by the standard of so many incredible machines. Jump over and see Cambo's pics of the JDCA (NSW) Concourse at Asquith yesterday.

I must add that my experience began at the National Concours held back in the 70s in my then home city of Mildura, when it was all d"Elegance. From that experience (with the S-Type and Daimler in my album pics here), I learned more from the judges reports and subsequent discussion than you can yet imagine. Despite our love (and preference for the VanDen Plas, it was the beautiful S-Type that scored a "gong".

In my case, I learned two great lessons. Firstly, set your goals high; high enough to be a real challenge; then persevere ... no compromises. Those judges would never be aware that just 2 years before my pic here, the S-Type had been in a serious front end smash with a Post Office van. Repairs took over a year, inspired its ground up bare metal restoration and rebuild. I was really proud of that build, but it cost a fortune and is something I would never do again. Why put yourself to that much pain? Because it was my Dad's car, and that smash broke his heart.

Secondly, I learned that it is not really a competition against ANOTHER'S car - that's a dilemma for the judges - it is more about how you see/service/maintain YOUR Jaguar in as close to showroom condition as possible.
Above all ... have fun ... and post plenty of pics,
Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 09-14-2014 at 11:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-15-2014 | 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, Supermoderator and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.