New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from Chicago.

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 11:38 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Hello from Chicago.

I inspected five 2006-2008 VDPs and Super V8s around Chicago in the last month. All had issues, as just about any car these ages do. Two Sunday's ago I finally decided to go out to Sacramento, where they had a Radiance Red Super V8 at a dealership. Got there and it really was in great condition. Niello was the dealership. They really did a lot to the car before I got there including replacing the heater core. New brakes, windshield, battery and coolant overflow reservoir. Had the little beast inspected, everything looked good. Drove it home to Chicago.

Now I'm experiencing that special Air Suspension Fault. I've had it checked, my dealership here can't determine if it's the compressor or the shocks.

I'm having an independent Jag tech look at it Sunday. I'm hoping he'll agree, try a new compressor and hopefully that will be it. If I have to we'll get those after market Artoll or whatever out of FL replacement. I like the air suspension so I'm sticking with it. Only other discovery, while getting an alignment today, power steering pump is starting to leak and the power washer pump doesn't function. New Jaguar owner though, want it all to work, despite what I've read on here about the power washers, so going to find a new pump on here (that guy who says he can get ANYTHING -- like him) or on eBay.

Enjoy all the posts. Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by MML6878:
GGG (03-28-2014), JimC64 (04-01-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 03-28-2014, 03:41 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums MML6878,

Good to have you with us.
For tech help and advice check out the tech section XJ ( X350 & X358 ) XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and also the regional section Mid West US - IL IN IA MI MN MO OH WI - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
You may want to search for posts from Bagpipingandy for info on compressor repair.
Follow this link for some background http://www.mediafire.com/view/?nfa9qy5ob3fm9g3
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-28-2014, 03:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum MML6878,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow Norri's link to the X350 forum for help, advice and information.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

I hope the air suspension is a straightforward fix.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-28-2014, 06:03 AM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - you will find plenty of info and support here simply follow the links Norri has provided - enjoy!!

Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

welcome and enjoy the board

Old 03-28-2014, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Welcome!

Old 04-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

Old 04-02-2014, 07:53 AM
Received 100 Likes on 88 Posts

I had encountered a similar "air suspension fault", and this occured with my 2005 Jaguar XJ8L that I recently purchased. From my experience (given that the dealer can't determine what is wrong with the air suspension), you would be far better off (financially and otherwise) having a reputable auto service shop (such as Goodyear) install an Arnott coil/spring conversion kit for the vehicle.

I wanted to stay with the original air suspension system on my vehicle too, but it's simply not worth the aggravation, time and expense to tinker with the air suspension any longer. My 2005 Jaguar XJ8L now has standard coil/springs (from Arnott Industries), and I found that the ride is even better than the original air suspension system.

Air suspensions will work well if everything in the system is pristine. However, as the air shocks begin to deteriorate, small air leaks may develop which will make it impossible to accurately diagnose the origins. These small air leaks will especially magnify in cold climates (below 45 degrees F).

Last edited by Rickkk; 04-02-2014 at 08:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MML6878 (04-19-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 05:22 AM
Default Air suspension, compressor & moving forward / single arnott shock

Rickkk,
Thank you for the advice.
Haven't done my own repairs since college. I ordered the piston ring from bagpipeandy and went at it yesterday. My thought was, inexpensive fix, perhaps it's an issue with compressor. Why not try it.

I've had the 2005 Super V8 just over a month now and have never heard the compressor turn on. Now that I've changed the ring I can hear it. I hope I haven't destroyed it and its tearing itself apart making that new noise. I'm hoping its a new ring break in process I'm hearing. No "air susp fault" light yet so we'll see. A lot of satisfaction from fixing the car myself.

Last thought, and hopefully someone will chime in, I've ordered two arnott comfort shocks (before i tried the new piston ring). if the fault message comes back I'm planning, now, to install one myself. Any reason I can't do one, not both. See if the prob comes back or will, as I suspect it be a bad idea to mix types of shocks? If I don't hear from anyone ill do more research on hear.

Next thing on my list is to pull out the power washer pump and see what I can do to fix it. I'm going to run an independent wire to a new button I'm going to put in the dash to run those washers manually. I don't want that going off and dirtying my clean car when I don't want it to. Think it will be cool to be able to push a button and make them spray.

Also, I've been looking all over for the obd port, nothing under under druvers side or under the hood as i read in several places. new lead from here that it may be on the passenger side by fuses.

Love this forum. So much good information.

JimC64 (04-20-2014)
Old 04-19-2014, 07:03 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by MML6878
........... I've been looking all over for the obd port ......
It's located under the edge of the dash just left of the centre console.

Graham

Old 04-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM
Thumbs up Update or new owner fixes and thank you.

Update on several items. I ordered Bagpipe Andy's compressor ring, took out the compressor, replaced the ring and reinstalled it. It made terrible noise. I thought, "it's a new ring, it must have to break in." But the next day, it was still loud so I took everything apart again and sure enough, I had reinstalled the bracket backward so it was right up against the frame. Reversed the mounting bracket and it's a quiet as ever. Also, my air Suspension fault and amber light haven't come on again. Whew. I ordered the Arnott comfort shocks but really wanted to continue to use the CATS so until that error comes back, I'm going to return the shocks.

Let's see, one of the vent register levers popped off, the dealer wanted to remove the dash to get it repaired, I dremmeled a tool to grasp the back of the lever and hold it while gluing the chrome lever back to it, saved that charge.

Two days ago the car, upon starting at a stop sign, when into limp with the dreaded "Engine System Fault, DSC not available, Parking Brake Fault". I pulled over, pulled up my Jaguar Forums page and looked it up. Let the car sit about five minutes and started it back up. No further issues. I bought a OBDII machine but the only error in there was P1111. I also bought MAF sensor cleaner but the sensor looks different than the videos I found on line so I haven't cleaned it yet. Waiting for the error to come back again, perhaps it's bad gas like some others found. I'm leary of cleaning the thottle body but from the videos I watched it doesn't look too bad.

Finally, my Jaguar mechanic told me he saw the steering pump leaking a bit. When I did the compressor work, however, and removed that lower cover under the engine I see no moisture or residue of a leak. Resevoir is fine so I'm waiting for some symptom of a leak before ordering the pump from UK, only $400 from there, vs, $800 here in the states.

Love my Super V8. Thank you for the great forum.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:35 PM
Default Another fix and some bad news

Oh, forgot, the headlight power washer pump was rusted and frozen, I took it out and couldn't get it to move so I cut the plastic open and it was a hunk of rust. Ordered a new one and replaced it. Working great. Another fix thanks to the forum. $20 and 45 minutes vs. some $400+. Thanks everyone.

On a sad note, I bought this in Sacramento, drove it back to Chicago, drove through Salt Lake City, was caught in a salt storm, 70MPH winds for 66 miles, road barely visible. Had the damage assessed last week, going into body shop Monday for two weeks, new windows, new paint job, hood, whole front (lights grill etc.), both fenders and roof. It looks like it was and sand blasted.

Never drive through anything but snow I think going forward.

GGG (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 06:37 PM
GGG

Ouch! Road grit is bad enough but a salt storm must be like coarse sandpaper.

I hope your insurance covers the damage.

Graham