New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from Colorado - If intro is a Must its gotta be funny!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hello from Colorado - If intro is a Must its gotta be funny!

Hello All,

I am newly registered to the forums. I admit I have been stalking you all for a bit first. Never been much of a forum gal I guess.

So a bit about the Jaguar in me.... Honestly the Jags are a new thing for me. I thank my husband and his amazing father. So the story goes....

Once upon a time there was a young man with a love of street racing, hot rods, and pretty girls. This was the 70's so he honestly had a lot of great options as far as the hot rods were concerned. His first love was always the Jags. However I did mention he was a young man (AKA not affording a Jag) so his first love became a 1969 Cougar. I know little about the car itself other than she was an eye turner. Next the young man met his second love.... the lady. As the courtship with the lady matured the young man decided to take the plunge. Yes, he let her drive the Cougar. Of course this cat was tuned for street racing and knew nothing of 0-60 in more 10 seconds so the lightness of the ladies foot and the use of this beast as a grocery getter didn't fare well with the Cougar. Threw a rod and that love struck young man rebuilt his cat. The relationship with the lady kept on growing and she was soon back in the drivers seat. Threw a rod this time trying to speed shift. He was so in love with the young lady that he again rebuilt his Cougar when the news of the next generation of street racer would arrive in a mere 9 months!! With his first loves newly rebuilt engine all shiny an new off he went to buy him a for sale sign. He traded in this sweet ride for a set of wedding rings, Navy Blues, and began the next phase. That future street racer came along and may I say he grew into quite the handsome fella and my future Mr.

I know this story may sound silly however get you some tissues because the story takes a turn and the memory of the Cougar turned into our future Kitty.

After 15 years in the Navy and 4 more children that man got back to the civilian life and the 9-5. He spent his weekend wrenching on cars with that first born son of his and sharing his love of cars with the now teenager. He found amazing success in all he did. That first born son of his later enlisted in the Army (Navy recruiter took the day off). As the not so young man grew in his career he was able to get an amazing promotion and a transfer to a new state. With the real estate market the way it was he was able to sell his modest home in California and purchase a new pad in Atlanta and a used Jaguar. The man had him a new toy and fulfilled a dream of getting his Jag. He had finally arrived in the Jaguar world as the proud owner of a 2000 Jaguar XK8 Coupe. She was his daily driver. She also had an allergy to women (more funny because that son of his has 5 daughters). He would jokingly say "don't get to close girls, you could make her sneeze" whenever I walked into the garage when we would visit. I never even rode shotgun as we were an Army family so our visits to Atlanta were always too short. I was counting down the days to the 20 year mark in the military for my husband and longed for the day I would see he and his father working on hot rods and enjoying a cold one. However, in my husbands 18th year in his amazing Father had a sniffle. This was 2 days before my husband was to ship off on his 8th 1 year deployment. Sadly, that sniffle was much more and 30 days into the hubbys trip to the sand box I had to make that awful call to bring him home. No further details needed other than he drove the Kitty home to tuck her into our garage. She is the sweetest Kitty in the world and will never leave this family. That young man in the 70's raised a gentleman and a family man. A man that holds a value in the car his dad was getting ready to sell. She's a keeper. The army let the Mr. stay home with myself and our ladies for 3 weeks and back across the pond he went. I had my fair share of maintaining his cars while he was gone. I always took his jeep out for a Sunday drive and never had an issue. I did the same with his Daddys Kitty. When he came home I had her all polished and ready for him. I learned quickly that the jags need more than a Sunday drive or they get all janky. Home for only a week and we learned the Kitty did have allergies. Sneezed out a bearing somewhere in that engine. Sigh.... Never had the money or resources to get her fixed so she sits in our garage to this day sadly no Sunday drives in her future. She still turns over but the spun bearing is just hanging out in there. I have been trying to surprise him with a new engine for over 3 years now. As you all know those guys are hard to find and even the wrecked cars are worth their weight in gold. As our Kitty journey comes to a close we have covered 39 years. 39 years and 10 months nearly to the date when that future street racer came into the world. Now that beautiful day we as a family had awaited for had finally come he is getting ready to retire. 20 years in the army and back to the civilian world. For me at least as the hubby only knew life outside of the military for 6 months of his life. So that being said how does a wife thank her Mr. for 20 years of bad-****-ery?? With 12 cylinders of Brittish bad-****-ery of course. And the family legacy of a Kitty in the garage is continuing with a 1989 XJS V12. Body is amazing inside and out other than a few trim blemishes and well the previous owner did some bondo work on the top. Supposedly she ran before all the performance parts were cut (literally like with a knife at the vacuum lines) out and parted out. We do have many of the original parts. It was a one owner car and the odometer reads 72k. All the VINs line up other than the hood appears to have been replaced. Though we were told it had been stored for years and was a daily driver before then we know it has never been legally registered and the electric tape X's on the head lights indicate someone was racing her. All things considered I don't care about any of the above as I am happy with the price I paid and the look on the husband face when I pulled up with his new Kitty on a trailer with a happy retirement sign on the hood makes the very real struggle worth it.

Well, all that was way too much info but its said introduction was a MUST so I figured a good read was in order. All of the above is true of course though some of the names have been changed for privacy reasons. I wonder if any one will actually read through to the end. If you have made it this far and have not laughed or cried I hope you at least may see I like to laugh and have a heart to get my husbands Kittys up and running for him as he has worked hard and lost many years separated from family. We are currently hard at work on Kitty #2 (I guess she deserves a names since she is gonna be here a bit). Originally planned to get her running and sell her to put the funds toward a new engine for the original Kitty. Interestingly enough she is growing on me and I may just keep her around. Don't tell the Mr..... I will get us a bigger garage.

~ Sam

Attached Thumbnails Hello from Colorado - If intro is a Must its gotta be funny!-14242448_10207591492568915_4716483333730782121_o.jpg   Hello from Colorado - If intro is a Must its gotta be funny!-14324172_10207591492968925_7124607521164205439_o.jpg   Hello from Colorado - If intro is a Must its gotta be funny!-14257622_10207591491928899_8473533479138466459_o.jpg   Hello from Colorado - If intro is a Must its gotta be funny!-1989.jpg   Hello from Colorado - If intro is a Must its gotta be funny!-kitty.jpg  

Hello from Colorado - If intro is a Must its gotta be funny!-me-mr.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by Samantha Larson:
GGG (10-30-2016), Norri (10-30-2016), sklimii (10-30-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,196 Likes on 5,381 Posts

Yes, Sam, I read all the way to the end, but I'm not the crying type, nor do I laugh very much; keeps people wondering what I'm thinking.

Congratulations on a deal well made and a car well acquired! Your husband should be Very pleased with all your hard work and how thoughtful you are. I guess you can post in at least 2 sections as you have two Jags! That means you'll have twice the fun and get twice the help! Bonus!!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-29-2016, 11:38 PM
Received 3,935 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Welcome aboard Sam.

Old 10-30-2016, 03:22 AM
GGG
Received 16,849 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Originally Posted by Samantha Larson
......... I wonder if any one will actually read through to the end. .....
Welcome to the forum Samantha,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums. Great Intro.

It sounds like you're already finding your way around here but if not, f
ollow this link XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XK8/XKR forum and this one XJS ( X27 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJS forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top of each is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Please remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You can also visit the US Central Region forum by following this link US Central - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 10-30-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:02 AM
Received 10,463 Likes on 6,909 Posts

Welcome.

I also read it ALL.

Those V8 bearing issues are getting a tad common.

The V12 however, a REAL Jag with a REAL engine, WELL DONE.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:40 AM
Received 6,305 Likes on 5,493 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Samantha,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-30-2016, 05:51 AM
Received 4,275 Likes on 3,696 Posts

welcome to the forum - excellent intro - Thank you to your husband for his service - enjoy the forum and time with hubby getting them back on the road!!!

Old 11-02-2016, 12:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 219 Posts

Hi Samantha! Welcome! I also read your intro all the way through. Please extend out thanks to your husband for his service. Those kitties look like they'll be a lot of fun! The perfect retirement projects!

Dwayne

Old 11-05-2016, 08:33 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum

Old 11-06-2016, 05:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,440 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome to the passionate world of Jaguar and these forums.
Enjoy!