New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,537 Likes on 831 Posts
Default Hello From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

I am probably remiss in writing/posting this thread starter but I never was very good at locating and following instructions as opposed to jumping right in. What that means is I have already posted a number of comments since joining the forum in addition to spending more hours on more days simply browsing than I am going to admit.

I am writing this from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada which is one of the most northerly cities in the world with a population in excess of 1 million. Winter days are short and summer days are exceptionally long and we can see annual temperature swings from plus 35 in the summer to minus 35 (before wind chill) in the winter which can make for a challenging environment for people and buildings and cars.

I am probably one of the older members here and hope to maintain that status for a very long time yet. I will have been married 50 years this coming October and have two sons, one who also lives in Edmonton (who is father of only two grandchildren) and one in Singapore. I am a commercial real estate developer with our own firm that was started when I retired after two decades with a large Canadian developer. I have been a Jaguar fan since the early e-types and Mark 2 saloons although it was a long time before we had a chance to acquire our first Jaguar.

Overall automobile ownership through the years can probably be described as an eclectic response to changing circumstances: '52 Pontiac, '60 Volvo 544, '62 Volvo 544, '58 Borgward Isobella, '72 Celica, '74 Fiat Spyder, '56 Jensen 541R, '72 Datsun pickup, '75 Volvo 264, '80 Chev Impala, '85 Olds Cutlass wagon, '88 Olds Cutlass, '87 Jag Series 3 V12 VDP (I still miss this one), '94 Grand Cherokee, '95 Grand Cherokee (another long story that started with demise of the first Jag), '98 Camry, '02 Camry (still owned), '92 Jag Series 3 V12 VDP (still owned for parts with a salvage title), a companion '92 Jag Series 3 V12 VDP, '01 Jag XJR (being picked up in May to keep the number of roadworthy Jags at two). I might have missed a few but you see what I mean.

The last car on the list has been bought "long distance and sight unseen" from a friend and this will be the third time we have done this with him. We came to terms on the XJR earlier this year and will be flying out to "take delivery" and drive her home at the beginning of May. Both of the previous trips were for Series III VDP's, one of which remained a year round daily driver for 15 years until this past January when it met it's demise due to a young driver driving his Jetta beyond his experience and capability and road conditions. The other enjoys semi-retirement during the winter and remains a "special ride" for the rest of the year (that's her dash in my signature photo).

The drive home is planned to be leisurely - although not necessarily at slow speeds - as it's about 15 1/2 hours on the road for about 1,250 km, to take advantage of the time of the year and the scenery as well as the car. Both previous trips in the VDP's were exceptional for their flawless behavior under identical circumstances and we expect no less from the XJR.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 12:59 AM
Received 10,503 Likes on 6,935 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Ken,

Great Intro - worth the wait.

It can see you've already found your way to the X308 forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the Canada Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/canada-73/ to find other members in your region.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 03-31-2022, 06:09 AM
Received 6,321 Likes on 5,508 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Ken,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-31-2022, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,284 Likes on 5,418 Posts

Hello, Ken,
Congratulations on your Latest Jaguar!
I'm familiar with Edmonton, but only in summer, as I drove through some of the Canadian Rockies once in my misspent youth.

We have active members in their 90s! You aren't the oldest member by a long shot! But we always value experience and willingness to share.

One of my boyfriends had a Borgward Isobella TS that he had picked up in college; won it in a poker game I think. I thought it was quaint and cute at the time although it was grossly underpowered in my power hungry mind. He was thinking of restoring it. We parted ways shortly afterward so I have no idea what became of either one.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 03-31-2022 at 10:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 11:09 AM
Received 4,296 Likes on 3,714 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 03-31-2022, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,537 Likes on 831 Posts

Thank you all for the welcome..

I'm not sure yet where they'll end up but look forward to sharing some stories and photos as things progress.

ElinorB - a Borgward Isobella connection in less than a day on a Jaguar Forum - go figure! As for the other connections, I've almost lost a car in a poker game but never won one I'm afraid. As for the drive, having done it you'll appreciate why we're looking forward to the ferry ride from Victoria and the road from there home. It's a drive we've done in a Fiat Spyder, a Honda Civic, three Jags (soon to be four), a Camry, a Jeep, an Impala, a Cutlass... Regardless of the route - it's too bad there are only three - it never gets boring.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ken Cantor:
GGG (04-01-2022), LnrB (03-31-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 03:45 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:58 PM
Received 3,960 Likes on 2,861 Posts

Welcome aboard Ken.

Old 11-09-2022, 10:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Cantor
I am probably remiss in writing/posting this thread starter but I never was very good at locating and following instructions as opposed to jumping right in. What that means is I have already posted a number of comments since joining the forum in addition to spending more hours on more days simply browsing than I am going to admit.

I am writing this from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada which is one of the most northerly cities in the world with a population in excess of 1 million. Winter days are short and summer days are exceptionally long and we can see annual temperature swings from plus 35 in the summer to minus 35 (before wind chill) in the winter which can make for a challenging environment for people and buildings and cars.

I am probably one of the older members here and hope to maintain that status for a very long time yet. I will have been married 50 years this coming October and have two sons, one who also lives in Edmonton (who is father of only two grandchildren) and one in Singapore. I am a commercial real estate developer with our own firm that was started when I retired after two decades with a large Canadian developer. I have been a Jaguar fan since the early e-types and Mark 2 saloons although it was a long time before we had a chance to acquire our first Jaguar.

Overall automobile ownership through the years can probably be described as an eclectic response to changing circumstances: '52 Pontiac, '60 Volvo 544, '62 Volvo 544, '58 Borgward Isobella, '72 Celica, '74 Fiat Spyder, '56 Jensen 541R, '72 Datsun pickup, '75 Volvo 264, '80 Chev Impala, '85 Olds Cutlass wagon, '88 Olds Cutlass, '87 Jag Series 3 V12 VDP (I still miss this one), '94 Grand Cherokee, '95 Grand Cherokee (another long story that started with demise of the first Jag), '98 Camry, '02 Camry (still owned), '92 Jag Series 3 V12 VDP (still owned for parts with a salvage title), a companion '92 Jag Series 3 V12 VDP, '01 Jag XJR (being picked up in May to keep the number of roadworthy Jags at two). I might have missed a few but you see what I mean.

The last car on the list has been bought "long distance and sight unseen" from a friend and this will be the third time we have done this with him. We came to terms on the XJR earlier this year and will be flying out to "take delivery" and drive her home at the beginning of May. Both of the previous trips were for Series III VDP's, one of which remained a year round daily driver for 15 years until this past January when it met it's demise due to a young driver driving his Jetta beyond his experience and capability and road conditions. The other enjoys semi-retirement during the winter and remains a "special ride" for the rest of the year (that's her dash in my signature photo).

The drive home is planned to be leisurely - although not necessarily at slow speeds - as it's about 15 1/2 hours on the road for about 1,250 km, to take advantage of the time of the year and the scenery as well as the car. Both previous trips in the VDP's were exceptional for their flawless behavior under identical circumstances and we expect no less from the XJR.
Ken, Im a car enthusiast for 50 years and now I have purchased my first Jag (1967 XKE,FHC) hoping to have the car in my possession in the next 2 weeks. Will need an out of province inspection. Have you any recommendation as to were to go? I have found 3 garages (not counting the dealer) in Edmonton we claim to be Jag experts
any experience with these people.?