New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello Everyone

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello Everyone

I have just joined the forum and am looking for information on a problem that has reared it's angry head! I have been given an opportunity to drive a friend of mines, 1988 XJSC with only 63,601 miles on it. The vehicle had been parked since 2008 and other than occasional starting, and moving about the owners property, it was not driven on the road, registering zero miles in the past 15 months.

This vehicle always started and ran smoothly and was actually a wonderful riding vehicle with only "minor" (is anything minor with a Jag) issues. Over the weekend, I had headed to the gas station to fill it up with fresh fuel as it had 1/2 a tank when I first took possesion of it. It had gone 200 miles with not as much as a sputter from the engine. It then gave the indication of running out of gas, and hasn't run since. It will fire up, but doesn't stay running. I changed the fuel filter, and there was black fuel draining from the filter input end when I removed it.

Can someone point me in the right direction here, as to this being my first time getting the experience to work on these wonderful vehicles.

Thanks for your help,

Ron

Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Just a guess here. I think you probably have contaminated fuel, and finally ran the tank low enough for the system to pick it up.

That fuel filler on that series wasn't a great design unless the car was completely garage kept. If it was left outdoors, debris would collect in the fuel filler cavity and clog the small diameter drain hose. This in turn allowed water into the fuel tank. (Ask me how I know!)

I think you need to clean and flush your entire fuel system, though you may get lucky and not need the injectors themselves messed with.
Yeah, I know .... happy day!
Good luck.
P.S. - post your questions in the XJ40 forum, there are some pretty sharp cookies there.

Last edited by retromotors; 10-18-2010 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:36 PM

Thank you retromotors, for a situation I was dreading to hear, but didn't want to have to get totally into it before finding out if this was what possibly could have been the cause. I never liked the idea of the gas filler facing up. It just invited to many issues. The vehicle was covered always but it wasn't a water tight cover. The snow in New England would sit on it and I'm sure it would work it's way in. Oh well, it gives me a direction to look into further. Thanks for the help, and I'll search some more and get started on the "new project." Almost makes me glad that I don't own the car. Although it is a nice piece and runs quite nice when it is running!

BTW, I live on Cape Cod and have been a Chevy guy all my life. A couple Harleys, and a Kawazaki KZ1000 have also been parked in the garage and pool house over the years. I have a '57 Chevy that I got the year after I graduated high school back in '69. Presently it is but a rusting out shell, but it is still there, somewhat. Lots of old time parts in the basement. I also picked up a '68 SS Camaro "barn find" body in Easton, MA., back in '95. I put a 402 big block in it and I put about 45k miles on that before the thing got parked in the driveway next to the '57 in '98. In 2006, I then put them into the garage to quietly sit until a flash of motivation hits me again.

I'm running out of space,,,,,

Ron

Old 10-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome aboard CapCod, Retro's suggestion is right on the money.

You need to start from a known clean base.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, nice to see you got some replies about your issues
I trust you can fix them soon

Old 10-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the formum. I was stationed on Cape Cod about the time you graduated from high school. It was really a big deal when the opened up the first McDonalds in Falmouth. Friendly's burger was still better though. You better get hot on that Jag, it is October already. Good Luck.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard CCR
Nice intro / plenty of onfo, hope we can help some. Please post any questions etc though into the relevant section for better assistance.
Great members / techs here and the odd laugh here n there....all good
Upgraded you manually to FFA so you can enjoy all the forums benefits.
Hope you enjoy the site

Old 10-20-2010, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the welcomes and help so far! I will be needing it. Jag's are nothing like working on an early Chevy. I have drained the tank and cleared the fuel loop from the pump back around to the tank, and added some fresh fuel. It started right up, only two run for about 2 minutes and stalled, with the same no start situation. If it sits a bit, it will fire, run a bit and then stall again. I may have to do something with the injectors.

Where should I be posting for information on this situation, as suggested by "retromotors" the XJ40 forum?

I just love a challenge,,,,,

Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

The XJS section would be a good place. You will find some great members over there, as everywhere else.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:51 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Best of luck on the fix - I'm betting that once you get the old fuel flushed out you should be good.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Welcome Ron! By the way, you might know my sister. She's a photographer for the Cape Cod Times. Merrily Lxxxxxxx. Although she just got married. Now she's Merrily Cxxxxxx. I was up there just last month for her wedding.