New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello, happy to join the jaguar family!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2022, 10:17 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Hello, happy to join the jaguar family!

Good evening. I am new to the forum, a proud Pennsylvania owner of a British Racing green 2013 XJL supercharged 5.0, the most beautiful car I have ever owned and one of the most reliable as compared to my previous Lexus and 400 E Mercedes. Here is my problem: check engine light went on yellow…gas cap reset didn’t change warning…brought to my dealer since purchase and they told me that it was no emergency…told me they could take a look in six weeks (?!?) and feel free to drive as normal but call if it started running rough or went into limp home mode. Now I am not a car professional but I really felt uncomfortable with that advice. Wondered if they just no longer wanted to keep me as a client since car has reached 125k and officially now old! Long story, I brought it to a “jaguar authorized” independent service garage and they diagnosed two stretched timing chains, one jumped, and the chain guides both shot. The only symptom I saw, beside the check engine light, was slightly reduced gas mileage. They reported hearing a noise on start up and shut down. The diagnostic error code was P0017-00. They have quoted $12k to repair. I admit to suffering from massive PTSD from my previous Mercedes service nightmares and I am very scared to start down another bottomless pit of problems…but on the other hand I adore my car and it has been so great until now. I cannot get a new XJL and don’t feel comfortable that a 3-5 year old pre owned is a good fit for me either. Questions: 1/ new shop has not specifically told me that the engine is unharmed from the jumped chain. Is this a legit concern and are there any other things I need to check before proceeding with repair? 2/ I assume it is safe for a jag authorized group to do the timing chain work properly, no? 3/ they tell me that my dealership should have been requiring oil change every 5K and 4/ they tell me that my dealership should have performed transmission fluid flush service every 50k but my dealer insists that the system is closed and this is NOT standard recommendation? Thank you in advance for any help you all can give as I try to understand what I should and should not do! S

Old 04-01-2022, 02:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums catdoc,

It sounds like the timing chain issue has been caught just in time before catastrophic failure. If I were weighing up options, I'd proceed with a repair provided the chain has only jumped a tooth; if there had been contact between valves and pistons, I'd look for a used replacement engine.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-x351-53/ to the X351 forum for help, advice and information. Specifically for the 5.0 engine, you will find the most 'hands on' members in XK/XKR forum ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk-xkr-x150-33/ ). The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Northeast Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northeast-35/ to find other members in your region.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 04-01-2022, 06:49 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums catdoc,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 04-01-2022, 07:32 AM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!

Old 04-01-2022, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 635 Likes on 498 Posts

Welcome. A Mercedes 400E, the source of maintenance nightmares! (Been there, done that and don't want the t-shirt!) I hope you get the issues with your Jaguar sorted. Jaguar dealers are not really happy to see older high mileage Jags cross the threshold of their service departments, truth be told. I cannot comment on the old change interval comments, as that is somewhat dependent of how/where the car is driven. I can comment that the transmission should have been serviced and the "closed/sealed" business is a lot of rubbish!

You might want to ask for independent service/repair recommendations in your area in your model, or regional forum. A second opinion/quote seems in order as $12K seems a lot money...

Old 04-01-2022, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,353 Likes on 5,433 Posts

Hello,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar! I'm sorry it's got hair ***** already, but it probably knew you would be a thoughtful owner and take care of it properly.
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 04-01-2022, 05:15 PM
Received 342 Likes on 209 Posts

Welcome to the forums! Good luck with your car. As mentioned previously, lots of helpful resources in the stickies and using the forum search.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:26 PM
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 04-02-2022, 03:50 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 04-02-2022, 06:14 AM
Received 10,520 Likes on 6,949 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:30 AM
Default Update on 2013 XJL Supercharger 5.0

A very sincere thank you to all who welcomed me and gave support and opinions. I have decided to move forward with the repair, replacing both timing chains, all tensioners, spark plug assembly and fresh oil change. Will keep you posted on outcome! Say a prayer for my beautiful girl! CatDoc

The following 3 users liked this post by catdoc:
Daf11e (04-02-2022), GGG (04-03-2022), LnrB (04-02-2022)
Old 04-03-2022, 05:29 PM
GGG

The $12K quote could be pitched deliberately high to discourage you. Many shops don't really want major work like this when basic servicing and simple repairs already generate a good income. Worth asking if they can 'sharpen the pencil'.

Graham

Old 04-03-2022, 06:24 PM
Default Pencil sharpened…

Graham, You are very wise. As soon as I told them to go ahead, the quote came down by more than 10%. They also mentioned that they may have over quoted on time, so I might save a bit more. I admit to having PTSD from experience with my previous 2002 Mercedes 400E as it had a slow and painful demise despite my best efforts. So hard to trust again…thank you for your support! I hope to have my girl back in the road again by weekend…

Old 04-03-2022, 06:43 PM
Received 2,652 Likes on 1,824 Posts

If they haven't been replaced yet, the water outlet under the front of the supercharger and the rear heater pipe should also be replaced as they're known failure points and can cause catastrophic engine damage if they fail.

Were there any other DTCs stored in the system in addition to P0017?

Old 04-03-2022, 08:29 PM
Default Fault codes

NBCat, it is funny that you bring up the supercharger as I believe all my problems began in September 2021 when the car was in for oil change and the Jag dealer casually mentioned on pickup that my supercharger ring support (forgive my lack of exact terminology) was failing and would cause catastrophic damage if not replace immediately….as I was about to embark in a road trip. I had that replaced and since then my ECO mode would not operate and then the check engine. I immediately took it to dealer and then told me it could be something simple, scheduled me for service in SIX weeks and told me to drive normally and call if it went into limp home mode or drove rough. Sitting in my car after leaving the dealer, I knew something wasn’t right with that recommendations and having only one Jaguar service option nearby (an independent group) i drove there. It’s not that I don’t trust them…I just don’t know them and this is pretty important…it is like having a family member on life support! Sorry I am beginning this wine. There are 10 modules with faults and 12 modules not responding on auto logic quick test report. They have told me that this is probably due to a replacement of the factory battery just a few weeks ago and codes not cleared out by dealer. Here is the list: U3003-62, C1A58-16, U0140-00, U2101-0, B1402-96, B12FE-09 and -13, U0447-00, P0234-00, P0017-00, P2066-00, P0461-00, B1C15-15, U2101-00, U0140-00 and U0156-00. Really they only spoke aboutP17-00!

Old 04-04-2022, 02:29 AM
GGG

Good to hear the shop reviewed the quote.

Modern Jaguars are very sensitive to battery state of charge/condition and many codes are simply an indication of a temporary out-of-range signal rather than a component failure. In addition, Jaguar recommendation is NOT to clear codes unless necessary to reset the MIL so it isn't unusual to see a list of codes when a session is run. I'm not suggesting ignore them but simply to put them in perspective and not be too alarmed.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 06:59 AM
Default Exactly

GGG, you have confirmed exactly what the independent Hag technician said. I am going to ask about the supercharger and exhaust items today and see what they say. May I ask your opinion on the transmission servicing/flushing? Jag has none in maintenance recc s but indie says Q 50k?

Old 04-04-2022, 09:58 AM
GGG

Jaguar never included a transmission fluid flush and filter change in service schedules claiming the transmissions were 'sealed for life'. I think they were happy as long as 'life' exceeded the warranty period.

JLR are moving towards the transmission manufacturers' opinion that fluid and filter changes are a good way to extend unit life. 50K is perhaps a little over-cautious but I wouldn't stretch it beyond 70K. After seeing professional flushing carried out, I've never attempted to DIY this again as simply draining doesn't remove the old fluid from the torque converter.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
NBCat (04-04-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 11:35 AM
Default Transmission and engine oil service

Graham, once again you agree with my new independent Jag service tech who has recommended the transmission work be done now at 125k miles as none has been done before. They also suggest Q 5K oil change where my Jag dealer said absolutely not necessary…Q 15k or once yearly. Think I will follow the indie guys recc s! As to engine oil, I see Jag says both 5W and 0W…your do you have a preference? I have read that the choice may be more related to thermal issues than lubrication but remember, I am a Jag newbie! Haven’t heard back regarding the proactive water and exhaust part replacement yet…

Old 04-04-2022, 01:19 PM
GGG

We have members who are oil change fanatics. I swear some of them must spend more time under the vehicle than in it.

On a more serious note, I think it depends very much on the type of use. A lot of city or low speed and stop/start driving needs more frequent oil changes. If you are doing regular long distances on the open road, the interval can safely be extended. However, I wouldn't choose to go more than 10K between changes even with this type of use.

The original oil specification for the 5.0 engines was 5W-20 meeting specification WSS M2C925-A. This was later revised to 0W-20 meeting JLR specification STJLR.51.5122. It took some digging to find the reason for this change. Apparently it was in response to complaints of 'difficult' starting in cold weather although I'd never had any problems in this respect with my XK.

The specification for my F-PACE 25t is coincidentally also 0W-20 meeting JLR specification STJLR.51.5122 so my preference is to make life easy and use the same oil in both as I do my own oil changes. Had it not been for this, I wouldn't have been too concerned with continuing to use 5W-20.

Graham

Quick Reply: Hello, happy to join the jaguar family!