New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello, happy to join the jaguar family!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 01:59 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Confidence improving!

Graham, your reply is so very appreciated. I feel much more confident moving forward now and I can’t thank you all enough for the new knowledge=power. Can’t wait to get her back home…the loaner car is convenient but not my Jag!!

The following users liked this post:
GGG (04-05-2022)
Old 04-04-2022, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,570 Likes on 841 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
We have members who are oil change fanatics. I swear some of them must spend more time under the vehicle than in it.

On a more serious note, I think it depends very much on the type of use. A lot of city or low speed and stop/start driving needs more frequent oil changes. If you are doing regular long distances on the open road, the interval can safely be extended. However, I wouldn't choose to go more than 10K between changes even with this type of use.

The original oil specification for the 5.0 engines was 5W-20 meeting specification WSS M2C925-A. This was later revised to 0W-20 meeting JLR specification STJLR.51.5122. It took some digging to find the reason for this change. Apparently it was in response to complaints of 'difficult' starting in cold weather although I'd never had any problems in this respect with my XK.

The specification for my F-PACE 25t is coincidentally also 0W-20 meeting JLR specification STJLR.51.5122 so my preference is to make life easy and use the same oil in both as I do my own oil changes. Had it not been for this, I wouldn't have been too concerned with continuing to use 5W-20.

Graham
Graham,

I think the definition of "cold weather" depends somewhat on where you are.

Ken

GGG (04-05-2022)
Old 04-05-2022, 05:20 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken Cantor
Graham,

I think the definition of "cold weather" depends somewhat on where you are. ......
Ken,

It certainly does. When I read posts from Canadian members who mention climate, it's the massive variation between Summer and Winter that astounds me. I can't even begin to imagine life in those temperatures and hope to remain in this state of blissful ignorance.

Graham

Old 04-05-2022, 12:48 PM

NBCat, I cannot thank you enough for your suggestion. Just as you mentioned, I had the tech look at those two items and low and behold they fold crusted coolant on both. While they said that they were not at the point of failure, due to the car being already dismantled to repair the timing chains etc. they did recommend replacing the water pump with associated gaskets and water outlet line on front of engine AND rear coolant cross over pipe from one cylinder head to other. They complimented me on my research and dedication to doing what is right. I told them it was my friend's advice that saved the day. Nice to have new Jag friends! S

Old 04-05-2022, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Ken,

It certainly does. When I read posts from Canadian members who mention climate, it's the massive variation between Summer and Winter that astounds me. I can't even begin to imagine life in those temperatures and hope to remain in this state of blissful ignorance.

Graham
True enough on the variation between summer and winter - this was one of our lovelier weeks last summer:

We have friends who live in San Diego where being a weather forecaster has to be one of the most boring jobs in the world (nice yesterday, nice today, nice tomorrow...), something their counterparts here never have to worry about.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:34 PM
Default Followup 2013 XJL timing chain/tensioners/water pump replacements

Good evening. Hope everyone enjoyed a beautiful spring day today. My Jag came home from the indie repair shop and I have driven 175 miles. No error codes. Gas mileage back to normal 23.5 mpg around town. But, I hear a tapping sound on cold startup which goes away quickly and a quick noise on shutoff…a bum-bum rattle/falling sound. Took back to indie, they think it is normal. Hmmm. Not sure if I am over reacting? Any thoughts? CatDoc

Old 04-11-2022, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Ken,

Graham
Between summer and winter? Sometimes it's from week to week. Last Thursday it was +20C, this morning it was -12.5C. There's a local adage that says "if you don't like the weather, don't worry about it, it will change in 10 minutes". While it's normally not that bad, it is fickle enough to keep you on your toes.

GGG (04-13-2022)