New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from LA! About to be X Type owner has a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013 | 05:23 AM
|
Question Hello from LA! About to be X Type owner has a few Q's

Hello Chaps!

I've been scoping out X Types for a month or so to purchase for my daily driver. I have narrowed the field to several cars with the help of these invaluable forums (thank you!).

I'd like to put an offer in on the main contender next week.

A 2004 X Type 3.0 AWD with low miles of 33,000. The car is a private sale in generally in excellent condition, however:

(i)
Dealer serviced car today and said the oil pan is beginning to seep, no leak yet, just seepage. They quoted $1,100 to replace it and said it would be leak free for another 5 years or so.

(ii)
The Carfax shows the Throttle Body was replaced by the dealership at 15,000 miles.

These appear to be the only major issues with the car.

Q1
My question to the forum in all it's wisdom Are the 2 problems indicated here fairly standard, not to be overly concerned about OR could these be harbingers of the dread transfer case issue or worse, down the line?

Q2
Lastly, any thoughts on what might be a fair price for this car as indicated above? I'm a bit confused Between the KBB Private sale price vs the Retail Price. I'd like to make a hardball offer as I'm not made of money but I also don't want to offend.

Thanks so much for helping me with this decision. Looking forward to being part of this dynamic community!

Boomslang,

PS Not sure If this is the right forum to post these Q's, so thanks in advance for any input offered and your patience with the noob!

Old 04-17-2013 | 05:39 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Boomslang,

I've copied your post to the X-Type section as the experts there will be able to advise on the Oil Pan leak and the TB. Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-few-qs-93765/ directly to it.

As you've already been researching on the forum, you probably already know the section but if not, follow this link X-Type - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the X-Type section for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Good luck with the main contender.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 04-17-2013 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2013 | 05:53 AM

Welcome to the forum Boomslang,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 04-17-2013 | 02:34 PM
|

Thanks Graham and Nori for the welcome!

Should I put car details in signature even if it's not my car yet? I'm looking at a few cars. Or do I just change the signature based on which car I might be asking Q's about?

Did I just answer my own question!?

Thanks!

Old 04-17-2013 | 05:55 PM
GGG

Just add the Model and Year of the car you're asking questions about until you decide on the one to go for.

Graham

Old 04-17-2013 | 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................