New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from Michigan!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Michigan!

Hello! My name is Scott Sutorka, and I am a new member of the forum. My wife and I live in Royal Oak, Michigan.

I recently left a position selling Volkswagens (at one time VW / Audi / Porsche) when my daughter was born in July, to be a stay-at-home dad. I had been working and going to Oakland University for my MBA. I am now a full-time student, and will go back to work when my degree is finished, and our daughter is a little bit older.

That being said - we have a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 VandenPlas. It was purchased in October 2009, from a dealer I was working for at the time. Funny story - the car was originally supposed to be a "Cash for Clunkers" car, but the owner had let the registration slip for a week, which made the car ineligible for the program. It had 78,000 original miles, and was in great mechanical shape, other than needing some minor adjustments, an oil change, new Y-pipe, and new tires. It is Sage Green with what seems to be a white interior (maybe off white?).

I haven't had much time to do anything with the car for the last few months, but I did purchase it so I could learn to work on cars. I figured that if I could work on a Jaguar, I could work on anything!!

I look forward to posting and reading posts as I continue on this journey. It's quite amazing - this car handles better on the freeway than my wife's 2004 Dodge (not saying much, I know).

Thank you, and I look forward to learning a lot!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum. Great intro'. You will find some top people over in the XJ6 section.

Good luck with the MBA.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome Scott, Great to have on this site.....I have been a member for about 3 months, and without a question , this is THE most useful site ...great people, and unbelievable support and Knowledge....by the way, I am from Troy.

Cheers

Old 10-26-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome Scott,

Kudos to you for saving the Jag from the clunker pile.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there scott, welcome aboard

Great intro full of info, only missing some pics
I've upgraded you to FFA so you can enjoy all the sites features.....Jump in and enjoy, some great guys here!

Old 10-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, thanks for saving the Jag I believe that was a car that was not supposed to be there

Old 10-27-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to reading and learning more about my car.

I added a photo of the car to my signature - I forgot to hit add when I initially signed up! The picture was taken on the side of I-696 on my way home from playing golf one afternoon. My wife was going out with a few friends so I decided to play golf with my brother. She told me not to take the car, in case something happened, as she would not be in the area to come get me. I didn't listen, and naturally, on my way home, it started to putter and eventually had no power, so I pulled over. The car would not start, so I called AAA to tow it to the mechanic I wanted to work on my exhaust anyway. While waiting for the tow truck, I looked at the dashboard and saw the the right fuel tank was chosen - it leaks, so I didn't have any fuel in there. I pushed the button to switch back to the left one, and the car fired right up! (Upon further investigation, my brother, who had not seen the car before, was pushing buttons and apparently pushed that one.) So, I got a decent picture of it from my phone.

Once I learn how to post more, I will add more photos of the car. Thanks again!

Last edited by JaguarVDP1985; 10-27-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:17 AM

Jim - I am incredibly jealous of your A6 TDI! I sold Audi's for a while and when I left, we were just getting the A3 2.0 TDI in... great engines, and would love them to be on all models here, but that will never happen!

Old 10-27-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello Scott from Michigan, I am also a Scott from Michigan. I have lived in Texas the past few years, but am originally from Petoskey. Would love to get back--once the work situation improves--God's own country. I have an X300 and you are right. If you can figure out the electrical systems on these cars you are qualified to work on the space shuttle. Scott

Old 10-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello Scott
Welcome to the forum. My wife is from Sparta, near Grand Rapids, but we haven't been back there in quite a while. She is starting to get a southern accent. Sounds like you got a good deal on your 86 VDP. We have a 95 VDP and we love it. There are some minor things I want to do to it, but the only thing I have done so far is put a new radio in it Best ride of any car I have ever owned. If you have questions, there is somebody here who can help. They all ready and willing.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 PM

Great to see lots of Michigan people - even if a few have moved away. It's a great state, but the economic climate not so great right now. I am confident it will improve, regardless of who is in office, haha!! Enough political humor.

The car definitely needs a paint job, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. The Sage Green isn't glossy anymore, but very rough. It's the original paint - the last guy who owned it had it for 18 years and claims to have driven it everyday, and parked it outside every night. The car won't be worth much, even if it is painted.... glad I know someone who owns a collision shop.

Once I'm done with my MBA and get a job, my goal is either a 2011 XJ or a 2011 Audi of some sort. Being in Michigan, the AWD sounds better!!

Thanks again!
Scott