New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from Minneapolis MN

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Minneapolis MN

Hi everyone,
My name is Eric and I was born and raised in Minneapolis. I own a 1985 Jaguar XJS with about 75,000 miles on it which I have owned for over 15 years.

The car is in decent condition, although the paint is pretty rough and the interior leather is cracking. Unfortunately, it sat outside most of its life, so it's no beauty queen. However, it has been a fun car, when it is working

Honestly, it's been a pretty good car. I've put about 15,000 miles on it in the 15 years I've owned it. The only real downside was that t was out of commission for several years with electrical issues that I couldn't figure out. The ignition amplifier went out, which was easy enough to rebuild and I upgraded to a single coil at the same time. I initially rebuilt the amplifier with an aftermarket HEI, which promptly broke. After fixing it with a good part, that was fine. However, it would randomly die on me. I replaced the TPS with a Ford unit, and that seemed to make it run better, but it would spontaneously quit and then work just fine an hour later. Turns out the "computer" needed to be replaced. When I got it back running, it seemed to have a dead cylinder. Turns out that was just the fuel injector plug. So, for whatever reason, everything seemed to go wrong at the same time, but now it runs great.

Another item of note: The previous owner removed the air conditioning and the crank-driven radiator fan. It now has a GM alternator and a Mark VIII electric fan.

My interior blower fans are now dead and the master cylinder leaks (into the booster), which are next on my list. The blowers are not a big deal, but need those brakes! The brake master cylinder is what brought me here. Apparently, you can no longer buy the plastic fittings that go into the master cylinder and connect to the reservoir hoses. I'm planning on replacing the MC, booster, and reservoir at the same time. I'd really like to figure out how to buy those fittings (or figure out a work-around) while I'm doing everything else in that location.

I'm looking forward to the fourm.
Eric

Old 07-30-2020, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,343 Likes on 5,431 Posts

Hello, Eric,
When a car, Any car sits for a long time this sort of thing happens. Deterioration goes on all the time, but it seems to speed up with you're not driving the car every day. In fact, cars don't like to sit unused as your XJS has for so many years. Best thing now is to address problems as you come to them, DRIVE THE WHEELS OFF when you get the car back in running condition, and keep up with these little details as they arise.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 07-30-2020, 04:34 PM
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Welcome aboard Eric.

Old 07-30-2020, 07:50 PM
Received 10,518 Likes on 6,948 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

There are work arounds, and the XJS Tech Section is the place.

I will see you over there.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

Welcome to our addiction.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:15 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Eric,

Good to have you with us.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/ to the XJS forum for help, advice and information. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-midwest-39/ to find other members in your region.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 07-31-2020, 02:30 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 07-31-2020, 04:12 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Eric,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 08-01-2020, 12:09 PM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!