New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello, a minor Stable of Jaguars

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello, a minor Stable of Jaguars

9.992 Driven Class '83 XJ6 maintained 100% for the past 15 years by yours truly & a very recent addition of an '05 S-Type 3.0 needing some love to original state (do not think the Original Owner cared to service anything over the years).

These complement an '06 S2000 and an '04 GL1800, the later of which gets most of the yearly mileage. Each vehicle offering my Wife and I all sorts of pleasure.

My interest in the forums is to educate myself on the care and feeding of the S-Type.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:40 AM
Received 6,310 Likes on 5,497 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Head on over to the S section and see what's up.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,009 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there, welcome to the forum, great to have you here with us at JF.

Hope we can help with any issues / questions you may have

Some great guys here, top techs, good info and more than a few laughs here n there, so jump in and enjoy......
manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site.......enjoy your time here

The following users liked this post:
salyzyn (09-30-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You'll learn a lot around here.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by JimC64
manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site.......enjoy your time here
Thanks!

Started adding photos to my Garage :-)

Old 09-30-2011, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! You will love it here. So much to learn about these wonderful cars.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Welcome salyzyn!! You will find alot of information about your '05 S Type in the S Type FAQ, lots of pictures to help you out. Make sure and check your IMT Orings, one of my favorites.

salyzyn (10-01-2011)
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 AM

Thanks, looked at IMT O-ring FAQ, good stuff (a scientific term)

S-Type is but 2 weeks in our care now. So far I have only noted and/or fixed a few minor problems (the adventure begins):

- Oil leaks abound on our S-Type, 89K 'nuff mileage, my initial impressions are both the Engine Oil Pan + drippings on the Alternator and a major transmission Oil Pan leak (Pinkish Oil spot) are showing troubles. Will look to the IMT valves now that you point them out, but they may be minor players. The Transmission being sealed and non-user-fillable was a disappointment, I may have a warped transmission pan leading to the leak, $125on FleaBay seems a small price to pay for a full-up replacement but have yet to bite that bullet.
- Noted a small leak (yellow tracer) in the low-side schrader valve body, needed about a 1lb of R134a to get to spec. Looks like I will need to replace the low-side hose, the valve is of the type that can not be replaced. Have yet to price a replacement low-side hose to see what I am up against here.
- A/C compressor also has a small leak from the front seal. Plus the system is generally wimpy, there is a hit on the net regarding a service bulletin turning a valve spring around (from pulling valve away, to pushing valve in) to disable a regulation action that unduly limits the compressor performance otherwise. Deferring service until I see how fast the R134a is in fact leaking.
- Replaced the left rear light assembly (looks like a bullet hole) with a new one in-box via FleaBay.
- My Electrical Troubleshooting Manual arrived from Helms, I have no Windoze boxes (Linux/Mac shop here) so the popular and available '04 JTIM has yet to be cracked open.
- diagnosed a series of electrical issues surrounding the rear light control assembly traced to 3 bad fuses (one blown, one with fatigue failure crack and one with resistance). Symptom was all lights go out when one hits the brakes, but everything else works. Using the schematic and taking the right rear wiring looms and assemblies apart and poking a meter at all the controllers to trace a series of blown fuses may have been overkill. $0 in parts and 90 minutes of my time is a pretty fair trade.
- fixed (glued and reconstructed) the glove box which hinge was totally destroyed. $2.50 for some Gorilla Glue and got to use my supply of clamps, fibreglass matt and mylar sheets to shape all the busted plastic.
- Tires (ugh) are very near their wear marks so I will need some $$ saved up to replace 'em proper (HF Changer at least allows me the option of internet tire pricing + to my door delivery of the carcasses).

Old 10-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member

Ok to begin with, IMT O-Rings should be replaced with the greenies as you read!

Alternator covered with oil, (my shade tree opinion is oil pan gasket), did mine and another members, not that bad of a job on your back (figure about 4 hours maybe 6 if you have a beer or 2).

Transmission leak is from the rubber electrical sleeve (guaranteed), follow fellow member ccc's FAQ and you will be fine (yet another almost cheap fix) as long as you DIY.

AC wimpy?? I don't understand.... Very few hose failures in the 2003 and up MYs. Most likely the compressor is shot and you may find one through this expired ebay add: Jaguar X-Type V6 A/C Compressor | eBay Even though its expired this seller has many OEMs at different auctions, at great prices!

Electrical woes, well.... sorry can't really help from my arm chair , only the supreme being can see what the hell the PO had going on.

Lastly tire wear......In the S section there are the proper alignment numbers. I will not get into back and forth with "lucky you alignment or JoeBobs tires and towing" and such specs and what Jaguar dealers know..

If in anyway I could help you (believe me, I've been there on our '05) just ask!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 AM

Thanks, I had already found the ZF transmission oil and sleeve change writeup with pics FAQ when I first joined and was remarking to myself what a PITA to change/fill ;-> I have already noted that I have the original (T27) bolts so I will be purchasing a replacement set as I get ready for this service (either done shade-tree, or if I take it in with a bag-o-parts ready to go to the local mechanic).

Weak A/C, JTB00183 as found on this Forum. I have confirmed correct refrigerant level and am considering this mitigation. A local mechanic I showed this to sez this Technical Bulletin is wrong, in that he has yet to find a mechanic that can do this in-situ, the compressor needs to be removed to do it right. But, with the leaking front seal, you may be right that I will need to R/R it instead ...

My Tire wear is an EOL issue. I received the car with a different tire, from different manufacturers on each corner (!). The dealer probably did that to comply with barely safe tires, selling the better ones that may have been on there; the used tire business around here is big ....

As mentioned, I solved the electrical woes, but I there is one that I have not that I failed to mention about, the Parking Brake indicates faulty, but works like a charm. I reset it as per the drivers manual (disconnect battery for 30 minutes, reconnect, and went through the parking brake set sequence) and it still indicates faulty :-(.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member

The hardest part of the transmission pan job is getting the vehicle high enough and stable so you have room under there to work on your back. If your S is 100% southern the bolts will not be an issue.

The first time I did that job it took about an hour an half. The second time 40 minutes start to finish. I am lucky my garage floor is very level!

Check with this seller as he gets these compressors all the time: Jaguar X-Type V6 A/C Compressor | eBay I have one through this seller and have had no problems. BTW I "won" mine at $110.00.

On the brakes have you checked both sides of the pads on the rear, meaning 2 per wheel? The inners are what tends to wear faster, the wheel will have to be removed to check.

Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 AM

Does the help ever end?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:23 AM
Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It helps to find a good vet, ... I mean Garage to help you out when the Jaguar is feeling poorly.

salyzyn (10-07-2011)