New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello, new member! Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012 | 08:19 PM
|
Default Hello, new member! Need some advice

I cheated a bit, I've joined before actually purchasing my first Jag. The one I'm looking very closely at is a 1984 XJS V12 Coupe that is being sold in what appears to be very good condition in a mass-sale car lot. Anyway, before I go to check it out, I was wondering if anyone could look at a few pictures of it and maybe tell me if there's anything immediately strikingly wrong about it?? I have no experience with Jags and so I would greatly appreciate anyone's opinion on this car.

Here is the link to its auction page:
Rebuildable JAGUAR XJS for sale in CT - HARTFORD 1984 year rebuildable vehicle | Copart Auto Auction Broker Lot 21096742

It is labelled as "Rebuildable" and that gives me great concern, but for the life of me I can't see what is not fully built about it! The engine looks like everything's there, it says it runs, and it has a clear title. Does anyone here have experience with online auction sites, or know exactly what 'rebuildable,' entails?

Old 11-16-2012 | 08:29 PM
Veteran Member

it looks marvelous. I dont see any dings or even any rust. Maybe rust out underneath?

The following users liked this post:
Aeten (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012 | 08:39 PM
|

Thanks for the fast reply, I suppose maybe it could be rust underneath, I hope not, did you see any potential engine issues? Those are what I'm really concerned about, and as I said I have no experience with these.

Old 11-16-2012 | 11:33 PM

Welcome to the forum Aeten,

Good to have you with us.
You should post in the tech section XJS - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and let the experts have a look maybe the regional section will be interesting also North East US - ME NH VT MA RI CT NJ NY PA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Aeten (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012 | 03:24 AM
GGG

Described as 'running' means the engine starts and runs. It doesn't mean the vehicle moves! The phrase 'drives well' or similar doesn't appear. I could be harsh here but 'rebuildable' implies some major mechanical issue (transmission / brakes / steering?).

The bodywork looks straight and there's no obvious rust. Chrome trim and wheels also look good.

Interior is clean and there's no sign of tears or major discolouration in the seats.

The engine looks filthy - may or may not be a sign of neglect. Ignition and cooling are the usual problem areas here.

It's what can't be seen that is the biggest concern. Even though solidly built, rust is an issue so check underneath as far as possible.

All Jaguars of this period are notorious for electrical issues and the XJS probably has the worst reputation of all.

The XJS is a complex vehicle and expensive to restore which explains why examples needing work go for very attractively low prices. Be clear about what you're taking on. These are superb vehicles when running well but repair costs can easily exceed the original purchase price.

Good luck.

Graham

Aeten (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012 | 06:03 AM
|

Thanks for the replies, I'll keep all this in mind if/when I go to check it out in person. I checked on the auction website and supposedly "running" means that it can at the very least move itself off of the auction lot, so I guess I'll see what that means exactly, and I'll be sure to get under it and look for rust.

If it does have any engine/transmission problems, would I be able to work on these as a beginner car enthusiast? I am not buying this XJS as a means of transportation as I have a perfectly good 2010 Honda CRV, and putting some work into it is exactly what I'm looking for in addition to very, very low cost.

Old 11-17-2012 | 06:51 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Aeten
............. If it does have any engine/transmission problems, would I be able to work on these as a beginner car enthusiast? I am not buying this XJS as a means of transportation as I have a perfectly good 2010 Honda CRV, and putting some work into it is exactly what I'm looking for in addition to very, very low cost.
The first essential is to have a suitable place to store and work on the vehicle. Not needing it as everyday transport is a major plus as repairs always take longer than projected!

If cost is a deal breaker, think very carefully and scope what work needs to be done before committing to purchase. Parts costs are not cheap.

Graham

Aeten (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012 | 09:34 AM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Aeten & welcome aboard, Its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums.

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features.

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Aeten (11-17-2012)