New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Hello from New Zealand

Hi All,

I live in Auckland, New Zealand. I don't drive a Jaguar yet, but have been looking at XK8s and XKRs with envy for some time. The selection in NZ is not huge, but prices on older ones are dropping to a level where I might take a chance on an older XK8.

I have enjoyed reading up on the many things that need attention on the earlier models by the very experienced and helpful forum members here. It looks like many things can be addressed at low cost if I don't mind taking some time to do them myself.

I currently drive an Australian-built '98 Ford Fairmont sedan (4.0L straight six). These Fords are pretty common in my part of the world. I've had mine for 10 years so its time to make my driving life a little more exciting.

Expect to see me mostly lurking around the XK8/XKR section, soaking up information as fast as I can! This is a great place with great people.

Best wishes for the season to you all.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the forum my NZ friend, good to have you with us here at JF
There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or have a few laughs!

There's a few guys from NZ here as well as a fair smattering of Aussies too.....check out the regional section....
A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features so jump on in and enjoy......

Old 12-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Default Thanks Jim

Thanks Jim!

Yes I will stop by the regional forum and say Hi there as well. I look forward to catching up with any Kiwis along the way.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

We also have NZ members that have imported from Japan (price?)

Old 12-27-2011, 02:53 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good luck with the search.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Bunny Racer;

Good luck in your search.

If you have the funds then bump your search up to '02 XK's and XKR's to avoid the teething problems of the earlier versions.

I did after nearly buying a 2000 XKR.

Fortunately I came across this forum and very quickly realized I wasn't enough of a mechanic to deal with earlier models chronic problems.

Enjoy and have a look at Autotrader.co.uk and Exchangeandmart.co.uk.

Lot's of choice in the UK and cheaper than anywhere else in the world....shipping is not too bad to Oz and Kiwi land.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Banned
Received 256 Likes on 218 Posts

Welcome to the forum Cadmium. A few of our most knowledgeable and helpful members hale from NZ.

Good luck on your search. Some time back a NZ bloke was looking into a Japanese import. I think he pulled the trigger but not sure.

Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 PM

Thanks for the welcome Translator jamjax and tarhealcracker!

Yes you read my mind on importing. The only Japanese examples I have looked at were quite expensive (might just be where I was looking) but the NZ Dollar/GB Pound exchange rate is extremely good at present and the selection on UK eBay is amazing.

I need to confirm that the 2003-on 4.2 Litre engine meets the "Euro 3" emissions standards which is now a requirement for standard NZ vehicle imports. I have read of a 2001 XKR that did not meet this standard.

I've got a whole bundle of other things to consider also. Especially how to avoid buying a UK car that has been accident-damaged or over-exposed to road salt. I also need to learn about VAT on private vs dealer-sold UK vehicles. I will do some searching for the experiences of others and maybe start another thread in the Europe Region forum with some questions in it.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:11 AM

BR;

No VAT on used cars in the UK, dealer or private.

That should help.

What is the import tax in NZ?

I know in Oz it is prohibitively high something on the order of 40%, unless you own it for is it six month or a year before you ship it.....long wait.

Should be easy to check the 'Euro 3' info......not.

I just looked and found this otherwise useful site for you:

http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/cars/...r/price-guide/

But when you try to look up the emissions info it says not available.

Let me say that the Forum members in the UK are wonderfully helpful and you should ask if anyone is selling an XKR in the years you are interested in as a separate thread/post.

Secondly if you locate a likely couple of cars I am sure you could ask someone in the area of the car to take a look at it for you and give you a sound opinion or suggest someone that could.

Heck with skype and gmail video you could probably get a live video feed of the car if you ask nicely.

Where are you in Kiwiville....had a grand trip around most of the Northern Island a while back and still want to tour the Southern Island soon.

No motorways/freeways though and I swear it was the only time in my life I got motion sick....and I was driving....because the two lane roads just weave through the forests and hills forever.

Good Luck and let us know what you find and as always send photos.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:48 AM

Hi jamjax, thanks for the info on VAT.

I understand tax payable at this end is 15% (on cost of vehicle, plus freight, plus insurance).

Yes the facts around "Euro 3" compliance will be fun to establish. :-)

I live in Auckland, in the north of the North Island. You describe our roads well. The South Island is as beautiful as the North so you are in for a treat when you come back. Let me know when you do. It would be great to meet up.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 AM

Cad;

Just what kind of pancake hat is that on your bunny.

Had one of those once and they are more curious than cats....just as easy to house train too.

That tax rate sounds like it would still work out to be a good deal to pick one up in the UK....but again post a notice on the forum here perhaps one of the blokes in Oz or NZ can 'steer' you to a good car already down there.

Forgot to mention Trovit.com, based in the UK, will send you email notices of new car listings by phishing through other websites and makes it a little easier to keep track of what has come on the market.

Will be sure to look for you and your bunny pancake hats next time I am south of the equator.

Spent lots of time on the main drag in Auckland, there is only one after all, when I wasn't sailing or kayaking around the north Island and trying not to barf after six hours of bobbing and weaving through hill and dale while driving.

Good job on the rugby world cup even if the refereeing was a bit dodgy in the first half against France.....the over all better team won...even if not quite on the day.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-28-2011, 11:27 AM

Cad;

I got this long email from Lanquid about importing to NZ from the UK.

Did you get it as well?

If not I can post it here since you are the guy that needs to know.

cheers,

jj

Old 12-28-2011, 05:38 PM

jamjax, glad you like the hat!

The choice of avatar was inspired by the pancake/bunny smilie available in this forum - That's quite unique.

Yes thanks, I got a message from Lanquid and will follow-up.

Thanks also for pointing me in the direction of Trovit!

Cad

Old 12-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Great, good luck.

jj