New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from North Carolina, looking for my first S3 XJ

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 675 Likes on 496 Posts
Default Hello from North Carolina, looking for my first S3 XJ

I guess this is my introductory post, although technically I posted a single post earlier elsewhere commenting on a beautiful blue XJ6

I have always loved the Series 2 and Series 3 XJ models (and also like the 95-97 XJs too), and have been keeping an eye out for a nice low mileage 1986+ Vanden Plas. I had a neighbor with a gorgeous Series 2 when I was a kid in Florida, and have always loved the cars.

The perfect combination of affordability, great condition, low(ish) mileage and proximity hasn't presented itself yet, but I'm looking. A few have come close.

Although a very low mileage car would be nice to some degree, I plan to drive the car, likely 100 miles a day. So in some respects I'd hate to take a car that only has 30, 40 even 50k miles after several decades and pile on 20k miles in a single year. So I'm probably looking for a car between 60-90k miles, but in great well maintained condition. I don't think that will be too hard to come across. But if a car with lower mileage comes along that just fits the bill, well so be it

So I'll be doing some more research here about what to look for in a reliable XJ and checking out the local ads.

Al

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (03-23-2014)
Old 03-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,982 Likes on 7,213 Posts

Welcome aboard.

And those Ser IIIs are great cars . The right one will come along eventually

Cheers
DD

Old 03-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Al,

Good to have you with us.
If you need any help with the search ask away in the tech section XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and take a look at your regional section too Lower Atlantic - NC SC FL GA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-20-2014, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
Welcome aboard.

And those Ser IIIs are great cars . The right one will come along eventually

Cheers
DD
Thanks, looks like we have similar tastes.

I am considering the 86+ Series 3 VP, but also a 95-97 XJR. I see in you signature you have a 88 V12 VP and first gen XJR

So how do they compare as daily drivers?

Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,982 Likes on 7,213 Posts

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
Thanks, looks like we have similar tastes.

I am considering the 86+ Series 3 VP, but also a 95-97 XJR. I see in you signature you have a 88 V12 VP and first gen XJR

So how do they compare as daily drivers?

Hmmmm....in a sense you can't compare 'em

The Ser III is the most modern of all antique automobiles. It's from a different era.

The XJR is technically, and objectively, superior in every respect and the power is gratifying. I've (mostly) enjoyed the 125k miles I've driven mine. Many fine qualities that are similar to the many fine qualities of many other cars.

But, subjectively, the Ser III is more Jaguar-ish; still has a bit of 'olde world charm' about it while still being surprisingly competent in today's world. If you have an appreciation for that sort of thing, and I sense that you do, then you know there's no substitute for it.

If you were asking 8-10 years ago I'd remark the the XJR will be easier to own from a service/repair/reliability standpoint. But, fact is, they're all now of the age ( and, usually, mileage) where trouble starts cropping up with some frequency.

Cheers
DD

Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Al,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

The Series III is the only one I missed owning. After Series I and Series II, I went direct to XJ40.

In Jaguars, the gap between Series I, II & III and the XJ40 was a generation change in design and thinking. The X300 was another leap forwards in technology.

If you can find a well maintained Series III with good history, there is no reason why it shouldn't be a reliable daily driver. If you haven't already done so, I suggest you drive both Series III and X300 before making up your mind because they are very different cars

Enjoy the search and the forums.

Graham

Old 03-21-2014, 05:57 AM
Received 4,331 Likes on 3,741 Posts

Welcome to the forum - you'll find plenty of info and support here simply follow the links Norri has provided - enjoy!!!

Old 03-21-2014, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

welcome and enjoy the board.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Hi and welcome aboard Jaguarforums.
If you need any help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator or veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features, so please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

Old 03-24-2014, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up Thanks!

Thanks for all the helpful and friendly replies

Definitely look forward to the resources here.

I've posted a note in the "Lower Atlantic" forum asking about an 87 VP I've found in Tampa, FL. I'm hoping another member in that area might be available to go check out the car and help me evaluate it since I am up in NC.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/l...ng-out-114304/

Thanks again.

Al

Old 03-24-2014, 03:03 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger
T........ I've posted a note in the "Lower Atlantic" forum asking about an 87 VP I've found in Tampa, FL........
Al,

Your Craigslist link in the other post has expired. Did you go ahead and buy the vehicle or has the owner just removed it?

Graham

Old 03-24-2014, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Al,

Your Craigslist link in the other post has expired. Did you go ahead and buy the vehicle or has the owner just removed it?

Graham
Hrmm, no I didn't buy it, yet. I had just posted the request for assistance to check it out yesterday. So either it has been sold, or the ad just expired.

I have the owner's contact information at home though, as I printed out the ad. I can check with him tonight to see if it has been sold. If not, I could provide the seller's contact info to anyone that is willing to help check the car out.

I'll update the thread(s) either way once know more.

Thanks!
Al

Old 03-24-2014, 02:00 PM
GGG

I hope you haven't missed it and it's still available.

Graham

Old 03-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Exclamation

Just spoke with the owner. The car is still available and he is very supportive, and understanding, of my desire for more information, photos, etc. gven that I am not local. So as I mention in the other post, I would stll be very appreciative of anyone in the area that might be willing to check it out.

I can provide the seller's contact info as needed if so.

His daughter is also going to try to come by this week and take some photos to send. Hopefully they can get those on the way soon and will be high quality and resolution.

He said he actually hasn't gotten a lot of interest in the car from the CL ad, and said I was the only one that had called on it. I guess there is a limited market for these cars. That's good news for me though, as that gives me time to investigate potential buys and not feel much pressure to jump on a sale.

The seller doesn't seem like he's in a big hurry either. He has three Jaguars, a 90s VP, a 97 XJR and this 87 VP. He says he's getting out of the car dealer business, and will see which two sell first, and he'll keep the one that's left as his daily driver. ...but he goes back and forth between wanting to keep the 87 or the XJR. Some days he likes one over the other, but generally leans toward the 87 more days than not.

Al

Old 03-24-2014, 02:40 PM
GGG

Al,

I've just been reading your other post.

It sounds like Doug saw the Ad before it was pulled as he is suggesting more and better resolution photos.

With the seller not in a hurry, you have time and opportunity to make a proper assessment of condition.

I'll keep checking your other post for progress.

Graham

Old 03-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GGG
I hope you haven't missed it and it's still available.

Graham
Thanks, seeing my post above, the good news is that the car is still available

But on the other hand, I am pretty pragmatic about these things. If it gets sold, so be it. Another will come along

After all, just as I mention in the post above, the market for anything except very special examples (rare hyper low mile perfect) seems pretty soft for these cars. The owner of this one said I was the only interested person that even called him.

And in just looking over the last couple weeks, I've found two or three nice examples wthin a few 100 miles of my location, including a gorgeous 86 VP with 33k miles in Asheville, NC. I'd jump on that one, but they are pretty firm on their $8500 asking price. I don't really want to spend that much on this first foray into XJ6 ownership There's a very nice well maintained 87 VP in Tennessee that is listed for $4750, but it has about 100k miles. So I don't know about that.

We'll see how this one works out. Sounds promising, although the car isn't perfect. See the thread for updated good/so-so/bad points the owner updated me about.

Some of those may even give clues to more knowledgeable folks here about hidden or more significant issues. Or may be things that are pretty minor in the whole scheme of things. That would be helpful feedback for sure.

Thanks for the support!

Al

Old 04-12-2014, 03:03 PM
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the fella in Florida wasn't able or interested in sending more meaningful photos or information, so I've let that pass. He has reposted it though.

I'm also looking for a 1996 or 1997 XJR, and have posted a "WTB" ad in the marketplace:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...00-xjr-115560/

Old 04-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 115 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome to the forum Al