New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello From Portland, Oregon!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Hello From Portland, Oregon!!!

Hello my name is Jesse.

I am very interested in purchasing a 1975 Xj12C from a local seller.

I have always been attracted to cars with beautiful lines, so jaguars have always had my attention.

I am a cult car guy. (I've had my share of interesting vehicles)

I am not a purist, but love a clean stock example of how are cars were intended from the minds of the folks who made them.

My past cars:

1962 Lincoln Continental (replaced the 430 with a later model 460) this was my cruiser

1972 Datsun 510 Coup (bought as an abandoned project & swapped a Chevy LS2 & T56) this was my highschool project that I did with my dad. that car was really hard to drive

My current car that I own & work on: 1995 Mazda Rx-7 (there is too much to list & I dont want to clutter up a jaguar forum with Mazda talk) this will be my road race & autoX car

I have the tendency to buld a car for a single purpose.

I have patients & a good job, so I try not to half *** my projects (I like them properly engineered & SAFE.

My plans for the XJC is (cringe if you must): Exhibition. or in other words... Drifting.

Putting on my flame suit!!!

Since this is my first post, i wasn't able to access the Series specific buyers guide (funny, you think that would be available to new members right off the bat)

However, I did read this guide:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/xjbuyersguide.html

I recall reading somewhere that there were compromises (Creating rust problems & akward fastening of the rear suspension to the body of the vehicle) made in order to lighten the XJ chassis from a 4 door to a 2 door.

Most of my questions will be chassis related, because I will be switiching to different powertrain (TOYOTA)

Also: I'm trying to find out the aftermarket for these vehicles (suspension)

Anyways, I just wanted to intoduce myself & hopefully hear some positive feedback from a car community I'm wanting to become a member of.

P.S. This icon has nothing to do with this thread, but its too awesome to not post.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

WElcome, as far as I know the car you're interested at is very rare
Enjoy your stay

Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default welcome, but I am cringing.

I just joined recently, but I do understand your love of your mazda. I would much rather see you mod a new s type for drifting than a classic, but to each his own. Good luck.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by jaxhusky
I just joined recently, but I do understand your love of your mazda. I would much rather see you mod a new s type for drifting than a classic, but to each his own. Good luck.
Thats why it will make a perfect drift car.

Bringing a gentleman's presence to a sport filled with misfits.

people will not expect a 70's luxury car to be competition, but it most definitly will be.

it wont be a half *** job either.

My plans for the car if all goes through:

Removal of Jaguar Powertrain (V12 Engine & Transmission)
Installation of Toyota VVTI 2JZ-GTE & 5-speed transmission(comes from a japanese luxury car called the Aristo, hence the name AristoCat)
Puropose built suspension

Originally Posted by AristoCat
Mostly looking at making a more performance base suspension set up.

SUSPENSION
ride height adjustability
camber plates
higher durometer Suspension bushings (Delron or Duralon)
ajustable endlinks
various spring lengths
various spring load capasity
adjustable dampers
roll bars/ ore sway bars (adjustable)

POWERTRAIN
axles able to endure more torque
Differential able to endure more torque

BRAKES
larger slotted/ perferated (prefer casting over machining/ cross drilling)
more aggeressive pads

In all honesty, I'm just looking to see what is out there for parts (other than OEM)
Complete removal of interior for roll cage, weight reduction & rust repair (if needed)

removal of glass, chrome & vinyl top for body & paint (vinyl top not going back on)

all interior pannels will be re-done using English Bridal leather (material used to make English riding saddles)

re-working of the dash (Metal, wood & leather)

I have big plans for this chassis.

I'll do my best to bring something new to this community in a different way, not detract from it.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:06 PM

just to clear up, I will not be re-installing the full interior, so there will be a interior part out thread sometime soon from me.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome Aristo, we'll get you sorted with the Buyers Guide somehow (cf your thread).

You might find a great thread in the XJS sction to be of interest to your project, by, BigAaron (spelling?). He has transformed the powertrain in his car.

Old 09-26-2010, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome to the site AC, hope you enjoy your stay
FFA granted

Old 10-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

WOW!! you got big aspirations, there is not many parts for a jag xj drifter available.(maybe none).

i think you are quite young(guessin). but have access to some serious money.

XJc,s are deffinatly a beautiful style, close to one of the best classics, extremly heavy tho.

makin a competitive drifter from an XJ, will leave almost nothing from jaguar, IMO.

just about all components will be CUSTOM made, with some excellent engineering.

i know of two local guys building SUBY drfiters, and they are runnin out of money, already double original estimates.

and i have this old notion if you buy already engineered parts, you can only go as fast as the guy who made the parts, NOT any faster, so it equals out to even!

but good luck with your project, any estimates when we will see some pix of progress??

Old 10-04-2010, 05:10 PM
Veteran Member

add to post ,

that 2JZ aint gonna cut it, not enough displacement(torque down low) so you can do good car control, and when boost kicks in you gonna have your hands full.

the best drifters today are runnin US style V8 NA engines with a lot of torque and throttle control.

Imsure you wont agree tho.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Default MY mazda RX7 rotary

pix , Mazda RX7 ,,1987, 94 FD single turbo, water to air IC.

420WHP,, 2660lbs.

lot of other stuff done also.

Attached Thumbnails Hello From Portland, Oregon!!!-mazda-opel-buick-011.jpg   Hello From Portland, Oregon!!!-mazda-opel-buick-009.jpg   Hello From Portland, Oregon!!!-mazda-opel-buick-013.jpg   Hello From Portland, Oregon!!!-mazda-opel-buick-025.jpg  
Old 10-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Received 161 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AristoCat
all interior pannels will be re-done using English Bridal leather (material used to make English riding saddles)
Uh ... not tryin' to be a horse's *** here, but I think you meant bridle leather.

Bridal leather, on the other hand, brings up visions of a honeymoon involving black leather, chromed studs, dog collars and whatnot.
Sounds like a good time to me!

Welcome to the forum.

Don't know anything about drifting, but I've had considerable experience getting 2-wheelers sideways. I'll have to agree with an earlier poster. A flat, controllable torque curve is where it's at.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros
WOW!! you got big aspirations, there is not many parts for a jag xj drifter available.(maybe none).

i think you are quite young(guessin). but have access to some serious money.

XJc,s are deffinatly a beautiful style, close to one of the best classics, extremly heavy tho.

makin a competitive drifter from an XJ, will leave almost nothing from jaguar, IMO.

just about all components will be CUSTOM made, with some excellent engineering.

i know of two local guys building SUBY drfiters, and they are runnin out of money, already double original estimates.

and i have this old notion if you buy already engineered parts, you can only go as fast as the guy who made the parts, NOT any faster, so it equals out to even!

but good luck with your project, any estimates when we will see some pix of progress??
I guess I'm younger (27 years old)

I'm an engineer for Motion Industries. I develop conveyors, crushers & screens for various applications. but Ive also been in the car scene for a while & know how to get things done on a budget. (a lot of DIY labor & late nights @ work using the shop's fabrication facility)

A totally agree, I've loved the XJ-C since I was a kid. As for the nothing Jaguar comment... all I want is teh chassis.

Suby's are expensive as Hell to build, but man they sound awesome.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by ronbros
add to post ,

that 2JZ aint gonna cut it, not enough displacement(torque down low) so you can do good car control, and when boost kicks in you gonna have your hands full.

the best drifters today are runnin US style V8 NA engines with a lot of torque and throttle control.

Imsure you wont agree tho.

The VVTI 2J from the Aristo is a whole different animal than the engine from the Supra.

My buddy has a Cressida that we swapped & makes over 350 RWTQ @ around 2400 RPM's

besides, with proper set-up hp isnt that important for drifting.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by retromotors
Uh ... not tryin' to be a horse's *** here, but I think you meant bridle leather.

Bridal leather, on the other hand, brings up visions of a honeymoon involving black leather, chromed studs, dog collars and whatnot.
Sounds like a good time to me!

Welcome to the forum.

Noted, thanks for correcting my error!

Although, if I play my cards right there might be both in the car!

Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

How do you like this bad boy?

The following users liked this post:
someguywithajag (10-09-2015)
Old 11-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by K.Westra
How do you like this bad boy?

So far the C just sits.

Ive been out of town for work & have to get my FD put back together before I can start cranking on the C.