New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

"Hello There!" from Bloomfield, NJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Hello There!" from Bloomfield, NJ

Hi. My name is Carmine J. Carella, I'm an auto tech that finally decided to get my own Jaguar. For years I've been into Japanese cars, I always admired British cars for their higher standards but was scared of the stories I was told.
About 6 years ago my Father bought my Mother a 1998 XJ8 (for a real good price) & after about 2 weeks the car developed a noise. After changing the oil one day I went to start the car & all it did was make a loud noise & not start. To make a short story long, the timing chain went & the valves bent.
At the time the local Jaguar dealer said it would cost around $13,000 to fix. So I decided, how hard could it be to fix this myself. I bought all the special tools to do the timing set up & with the help of Coventry West, my Mother still drives the car today.
This ability to repair these "newer style" Jaguars led to my Father buying
a 1997 XK8 & my Sister a 2000 XJ8. But I always liked the XJS, I figured the older Jaguars can't be that much harder to fix than the new ones. So I found a 1995 XJS 4.0 convertible with a bad motor.
In my search for a used motor I was told about a 1996 XJ6 for $900 that was in an accident. I bought the XJ6, brought it home & decided it was too nice to take apart. Soon I found a motor for $400 close to home. I put the motor in & fell in love! I've been driving the car for about a month & I can't describe the pleasure of driving this car around with the top down, but it's close to perfection.
Well that's my story. Sorry it was sooo long. Hopefully soon I can get my XJ6 on the road for the colder months & put the XJS away till the spring. Thanks for listening.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello Carmine and welcome to jaguarforums.com. I know that you are anxious to get started and we are anxious to meet you and talk about your car. We have a baseline / criteria that must be met before full access can be granted. Please enjoy the forum and be patient once the baseline has been satisfied full access will be granted. Please continue to post and accept my welcome to the forum.

If you haven’t already you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for. To do this go to, User CP, Edit Signature, Add Vehicle Details and such and Save Your Signature.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.

Also, should you have questions related to your vehicle please post it in the section for your model year (MY) car. This way you will reach all the members that are familiar with your MY car.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forum Carmine, great intro!

Old 09-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Received 6,326 Likes on 5,512 Posts

Welcome to the forum Carmine,

Great story, enjoy the car.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Nice intro, full of information.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:57 PM

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, but we've had so much rain & flooding up here - I've been so busy. I did put new wipers on the XJS yesterday, now I can see where I'm going.

Aside from that, I can't figure out how to get my signature up when I post. I hit save & nothing Happens?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Oh wait! It worked!

I thought it would show up back under my first post.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Welcome aboard :-). You'll like it here.

Cheers
DD

PS-As a boy I lived is Essex Fells and Cedar Grove...just a hop and a skip from you. I remember eating at the Montclair Diner in Montclair....on Bloomfield Avenue. It's probably long gone.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:55 AM

Thanks to everyone for having me aboard. It's good to have a place to talk about these cars.

Doug, do you mean the Clairmont Diner at the top of the hill? If so, it's been an Acura dealer for about twenty years. I used to love going there as a kid. To bad you won't be up here for September 18th, NJ-JTC is having a show at Calandra's Villiage in Caldwell.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,916 Likes on 7,172 Posts

Originally Posted by N14ParkwayRacer
Doug, do you mean the Clairmont Diner at the top of the hill? If so, it's been an Acura dealer for about twenty years. I used to love going there as a kid. To bad you won't be up here for September 18th, NJ-JTC is having a show at Calandra's Villiage in Caldwell.

I remember it being on a hill so I'm sure that must be it!

Thanks for the little stroll down memory lane :-)

Cheers
DD