New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hello from Virginia! :)

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014 | 02:37 AM
|
Default Hello from Virginia! :)

Hello!

I've decided to become a registered member rather than remain a stalker!

About me. I'm in my 50's, female, a gun
enthusiast. I love trap and skeet! NYC born and raised. Northwestern PA for 5 years and now down here in N. Chesterfield, VA for 3 years. I have a 25 yr old son and the most awesome German Shepherd, Rocky. I am HAPPILY divorced.

For the last few days, I've been reading though this forum. Please, let me explain.

For the last 20 years, I've been interested in a Jaguar. Finally, I've decided, that after 20 years of wishing and wanting the time has come.

I'm a Ford gal. I've had Fords all my life. In fact, I've only strayed once (recently), buying a 2004 BMW 545I, which I've nicknamed "the hate it". That car has since been sent up to NYC to be sold after owning it for only 6 months. My rides right now consist of a 1994 Lincoln Town Cartier, 1997 Lincoln Town Presidential, 1997 Lincoln Town Signature Collector Series and a 1996 Lincoln Town Signature. See, I'm a Ford gal!

Its time to add the Jaguar. So here are a couple of questions which I hope I can get answers to before I actually buy this specific car.

A couple up the road is selling their 1998 XJ8 because they've bought 2 brand new ones! This particular car is beautiful! Shines like a mirror in that sapphire blue (which happens to be my birthstone color)! The body is in spectacular shape as it has been garaged kept its whole life. Not a door ding or smudge! This car was loved.....ALLOT!

Now the issues. The car just hit 200K. They have had the transmission replaced about 6k miles ago. It was taken out of wreck which had 68K on the odometer. The timing chain has been replaced. Complete brakes done, including calipers, pads and rotors. Brand new tires. Oil changes every 2K miles.

They want 4K for the car. They said the price is surely negotiable. Kelly Blue states that the car in excellent condition should rock around $2200. In good condition, a couple hundred less.

Here are a couple of questions:
What would be a good price to offer for the car?
How much money should I expect to be putting into the car in the next few months?
Since the transmission and timing chain have been done, should I expect the car to go another 100K miles?
Are there any other issues that can arise? Known issues for this model?
Are parts readily available?

There is certainly a Jaguar in my very very VERY near future however, I don't want to have to go for big dollars and hate having to be towed.

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated.

Thank you so very much!

Michele

Old 05-14-2014 | 04:06 AM

Welcome to the forum. sorry,can't answer any of your questions.
Just a newbie here myself, still getting to know my first Jag.

Last edited by o1xjr; 05-14-2014 at 04:13 AM.
Old 05-14-2014 | 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hello Michele, welcome!

Thanks to the people who bought Fords in the 1990's, Jaguar was able to make great progress with their product line then, first with the XJS and XJ6 sedans, then with development of the V8 as used in the XK8 and the XJ8. Seems like a natural progression for you!

This XJ8 sounds like a true survivor! 200k is great for any car, and especially for a first generation XJ8!

On the other hand, that is a lot of miles...

Pluses with the new tires, brakes, transmission etc. But still many areas for concern, like suspension, wheel bearings, electrics, warning lights. I'd say be careful. And, offer a lot less than $4000 if you must have it!

Are you going to do maintenance and light repairs yourself? Another important factor.

Best wishes for finding the right one, whether now or later!

Old 05-14-2014 | 04:57 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Michele,

Good to have you with us.
You should head on over to the tech section XJ ( X308 ) XJ8 / XJR - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum and ask the experts what they think, please take a look in your local regional section also Mid Atlantic - MD VA DC DE WV - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 05-14-2014 | 06:53 AM

Welcome to the forum - follow the links Norri has provided to a wealth of info and support - enjoy!!

Old 05-14-2014 | 09:26 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Michele,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Follow Norri's link to the X308 forum for help, advice and information.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

Old 05-14-2014 | 11:21 AM
|

Thank you so very much for the advice.

I'm going to do some more reading about the XJ8.

Thanks for the heads up about the electrics and suspension. That would be a big concern for me. I've had my share of electric issues. Must be a Ford thing.

The suspension was another reason I'm getting rid of the BMW. I don't want to be married to a problem car.

Again, thank you!

Old 05-17-2014 | 06:46 PM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........

Old 05-17-2014 | 06:47 PM
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome aboard, its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

If you need any further help with the site moving forward, please just ask any moderator, veteran member and we'll be glad to assist.

In the meantime, any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, using the
search facility etc, can be found here within the following link
Helpful_information

There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Need a Manual, a TSB, or General Info' about your Jag? Check out our >> DOWNLOAD AREA <<

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features.
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site........