New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hey!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey!

Okay so a bit of background on me: 20 year old kid may very well purchase a 2000 XJ8 L. While I understand that this is not a budget car, I am not worried about gas mileage, my previous car was a ford mustang, and from what I've read most of the problems except for the electrical issues can be prevented and caught before anything catastrophic happens. I am very mechanically inclined, I have worked on multiple types of engines and I research everything to a T before going about it, my mother on the other hand has asked a few people she knows with a Jaguar and is against the idea and while I am not quite sure of their mechanical aptitude, I doubt any of them have ever picked up a wrench, and their opinion is one that is shaded by the fact that they have always taken their cars to mechanics and paid thousands for repairs when in fact if they had taken a little time to get to know their cars those thousands in repairs may have been prevented.

Now as soon as I purchase the car I plan on checking to see if the secondary timing chain tensioners have been replaced with the third gen. type, and if not, using the zip tie method or actually buying the tools recommended to do the job I will be replacing them. The car was previously used I believe by a limo service or some such type and maintained in a fleet, so i have no records of any maintenance except for what the carfax states, which isn't much. The second major issue I plan on looking at is the ill designed forward drum on the transmission by draining the fluid and dropping the pan to check for debris. Is there anything anyone recommends I do other than those two major things?

Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Received 8,284 Likes on 4,999 Posts

Sounds like you have done your homework!!!! I bought my first Jag (1966 E-Type) way back in the early 70's when they were just used cars. You can't tell when the 'A'drum will fail and pulling the pan will only give an indication of friction material wear (but that will tell alot) or other components that might be breaking into debris chunks.

Keep us up to date on your decision!!!

bob gauff

Old 07-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard JF good to have you here as part of the forum

sounds like you done some homework to date and that coupled with good wrenching skills, time, patience and some input from this forum and other sources could very well save you $$$$

Loads going on, plenty of very friendly and helpful members as well as some excellent tech advice......all good!

In the meantime I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site

Old 07-12-2011, 05:42 AM
Received 6,354 Likes on 5,532 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good luck with the car, I see that like almost every other 20 year old, you are not paying too much attention to your mother's advice.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:13 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,216 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Hello and welcome to jaguarforums.com.

Oh one other thing you need to put your car details in your signature. I am speaking of the Year, Make & Model. Without it you may not get the input you are looking for.

Please take a moment and read the information provided to you explaining the rules. Be patient and enjoy the site.