New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hi all

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi all

Well, dunno where to start really, my name's Alex (user name says it all), I'm 37 and I live in north east hampshire, england. never used forums so cut me some slack eh! Loved jags since i was little (I'm still little, just grown up now) and promised myself I'd have one of my own one day, and certainly not disappointed. Bought my first big cat in october 2010 (1995 XJ Sport, 3.2 straight 6) Been doing my own mechanical work for the last 20 years so not completely green but just a bit unfamiliar with these cars and their quirks. Having a bit of a problem with a low groaning sound accompanied by a vibration. starts at about 15 - 20 mph and fades out around50 ish. pitch of noise raises with speed and the vibration is felt in the steering wheel, pedals and front footwell, have changed track rod ends and replaced front wheel bearings. checked both top and bottom balljoints and bushes and all seem ok (no play). had wheel alignment done and wheel balancing so running out of ideas. any ideas anyone? could it be the rear tranny mounts or something on the prop shaft?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:54 PM

Help me obi wan kanobi, you're my only hope!!!!!

Old 01-10-2012, 06:34 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by alex0866
Well, dunno where to start really, my name's Alex (user name says it all), I'm 37 and I live in north east hampshire, england. never used forums so cut me some slack eh! Loved jags since i was little (I'm still little, just grown up now) and promised myself I'd have one of my own one day, and certainly not disappointed. Bought my first big cat in october 2010 (1995 XJ Sport, 3.2 straight 6) Been doing my own mechanical work for the last 20 years so not completely green but just a bit unfamiliar with these cars and their quirks. Having a bit of a problem with a low groaning sound accompanied by a vibration. starts at about 15 - 20 mph and fades out around50 ish. pitch of noise raises with speed and the vibration is felt in the steering wheel, pedals and front footwell, have changed track rod ends and replaced front wheel bearings. checked both top and bottom balljoints and bushes and all seem ok (no play). had wheel alignment done and wheel balancing so running out of ideas. any ideas anyone? could it be the rear tranny mounts or something on the prop shaft?
Alex,

Hello and welcome.

It's six years and 3 Jags ago since I had my 1996 XJ Sport 3.2 and there'll be members on the XJ list with much more current knowledge than me.

However, after what you've already checked, the metalastik Vee mounts for the front suspension subframe or the prop shaft joint could be possible causes of the vibration.

Enjoy the car.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Post up your problem over in the X300 section.

We've just had another guy with a similar problem. His was a bust G/box mount. But Prop couplings were mentioned.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 AM
Received 6,330 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good suggestions above, but go and see what the X300 guys have top say.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:43 AM

OK, will do. Thanks.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,011 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey there Alex, welcome aboard Jaguarforums, great to have you with us .........

Be sure to check out the regional area for like minded members in your area / techs / meets etc

So sorry to hear about your issues with your car.........
Presumably you've been checking out the relevant section.......any luck?

There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or have a few laughs!

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun
I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features

Jump on in and enjoy