New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hi All! Looking into the new XF 3.0 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi All! Looking into the new XF 3.0 AWD

Hi everyone! I currently have a 2006 BMW 530Xi. I have lots of custom stuff on it for performance, and it pulls 1g on the skidpad with summer tires on. It's an incredible machine, but I'm ready to grow up.

When I was a kid, my Father had a 1972 XJ6 4.2L in gold over brown leather. Ever since I first saw that car, I've been a Jag enthusiast. Life took me all different directions and I've owned and leased lots of luxury cars - some that stood out, Lexus, Audi, now the BMW. I spend a great deal of time behind the wheel and my cars are my trusted companions. My current Bimmer has by far been the greatest road companion, having taken me over the entire Easter Seaboard of the United States - it has been to Maine, Quebec City, Key West, and just about everywhere in between. It has been to Mt. Washington with me and I've driven it on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Recently, I've decided it is time for me to trade in my Bimmer for a new car. I've opened my own business not long ago and have more reasons to lease a car (which is irrelevant to this post, but hey, it's an introduction - I'll hold nothing back ).

I started out looking at the new Audi A7 3.0 Prestige. Awesome car, to be honest - and rare on the road, which I definitely like. Also test drove the new A6 3.0 Premium Plus, while I was there. Dynamically, nothing compares to the handling I can get out of my Bimmer, but don't be mad - I've spent well over 15 grand of my hard-earned cash on various upgrades: race-ready suspension, BBS wheels and summer tires, drilled/slotted rotors with semi-track use pads, short shifter, ram air induction system... it's a long list, okay But I digress. So I did like the A7 with the Sport suspension, but the price on a lease for one of those seems well over the borderline of ridiculous. So I test drove the new Lexus GS350 AWD - awesome drive, actually. Yes, I was also surprised. And I like the interior, not to mention, the car is MUCH less expensive than any other competitor I've looked at. However, the outside of the new GS just looks like a mix between a bunch of derivative design cues thrown together in the worst possible way to create something that looks like a brick with a Darth Vader mask, that's been fired upon with a flamethrower. So a "no thanks" goes out to Lexus, although price-wise and dynamically, it was a good fit for me.

Besides the above cars, I've also tested the new 5 series - both the 535 and 550 xDrive models, with and without the active suspension. Verdict: too bulky. BMW dropped the ball on the new 5er to get more sales - pitty. Yesterday, I went to the BMW dealership again and tested the new 335i xDrive Sport (without the M adaptive suspension). Liked the car generally, but the interior is meh, the back seat is worse than just about ANY other car I've ever been in - material quality, room and lateral support all are really below what I'm used to seeing in a BMW.

This brings me - finally!!! - to my point. On the way home from the BMW dealership, I saw a Jaguar/Land Rover dealership and went in on a hunch. I guess, my inner Jag enthusiast was driving at the moment They were almost closed, so I only had a chance to chat with the sales guy for a few minutes. It seems that I can spec out a respectable XF 3.0 for about the same MSRP as the fully loaded 335, and I definitely like the interior way more. Looks-wise, I cannot compare the two - BMW is more like a work-horse, whereas the Jaguar is a wild cat with a platinum AMEX. Both are beautiful in their own way, and I like them "separately". I am going back tonight again to test drive the Jaguar, to see if it measures up to my standards dynamically. From the reviews I've read on it, I think it should do mighty fine. But I wouldn't think about talking numbers before driving the car. Besides, I want to see how all the electronics work, how well it integrates my iPhone, and all that good stuff. So, wish me luck! And if you have any comments, suggestions or advice for me - I welcome each and every one of your posts.

Cheers,
V.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:13 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum V_therussian,

Good to have you with us.
Good luck with the test drive, you will find the XF owners here XF and XFR ( X250 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum f you need any info from them.
Take a peek at your regional section too North East US - ME NH VT MA RI CT NJ NY PA - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum V_therussian,

Great Intro.

Follow Norri's link to the XF section for help, advice and information.

Enjoy the search and the forum

Old 03-12-2013, 08:32 PM

Just to give you guys an update, I did like the car. Not sure if I liked it enough to get it just yet, but I have time - need to sell my Bimmer first.

I have to note, Jag dealers should really try to mimic BMW in their approach. Ditto for the infotainment system - I just hope someone from Jaguar reads this.

Dealers: if you are taking a customer on a test drive, MAKE SURE THE CAR IS PERFECT. Why would you even think about taking out a car that has unbalanced wheels?! Also, do learn your product before taking people on test drives - I know more than you about the car on my first drive, and that's not how you gain customers. More importantly, if your customer is a car guy - like me - you should really bend over backwards getting the car he/she wants. I don't wanna hear "we don't have this color on the lot", "we can't really order a car exactly as you want it". And for god's sake, if I say I want RWD, GIVE ME RWD. Trust me, I'm not getting a bare bones car.

Jaguar: who makes the infotainment systems for you?! Nineteenth century? Seriously, I pay 70k for a car, I don't wanna hear "Bluetooth audio streaming is not available". Buy a few high end bimmers and copy, if you can't do it on your own. The system in the Jag I drove is seriously inferior to BMW, Audi and Lexus systems I've tested - and it's all in the user interface. You're half a step away! And for all things sacred, recalibrate the throttle/transmission mapping, so it performs at its best. Great engine, great transmission, well-done suspension, lighter weight than a 535 - why would this car be slower? It makes no sense, turns people away.

Other than the above, I must say, I am very impressed with the car. I would love to get one with 3.0 RWD, in Carnelian red, London tan leather, Sport Portfolio pk with 20" Hydras (by the way, 10+ grand for an appearance package?!?!?! WTF!), premium Pk, cold climate pk and a split-folding rear seat. Unfortunately, apparently, they aren't present in nature, as per the sales guy's statement. So all in all? Great car with a few flaws that are so easy to correct, but nobody interested in correcting them. I guess time will tell, whether I'll go for it or not, but I do love the new cat and wish everyone on here lots of joy behind the wheel!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Let us know how it pans out.

Good to see you.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Thanks to all of you, who welcomed me! I've decided to go for an 8 cylinder XF. Having driven the AWD and the RWD V8, I'm a convert now. I want a Jag. Now time to sell my Bimmer and make my move wish me luck

Will post pics as soon as it happens.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welcome

Honestly, in my opinion the XJL is the way to go for the new jaguars. It is very spacious and very fast. The music system is also phenomenal. I couldnt afford the supercharged or what ever the more expensive and faster one is called but the standard one is fast enough for me. I was looking for an XF first and I messed around and sat in an XJL first and was star struck. So to make a long story short. Jag dealers could be better on the service note but i just figure that they get like that because people who come to shop for one more than likely are able to buy one so no need to go overboard and they let there name do a lot of the selling. I learn something new everyday with my car. Its like a new fancy phone.. not really but you feel.. Ok talked enough.. Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos,
use the search facility etc, can be found here within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to Full forum access so you can better view the site and all its features
Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................