New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Hi everyone

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2021 | 07:42 PM
|
Default Hi everyone

I’m a father of 7 kids and I bought a Jaguar x type to fix and customize with my son the car is for which he loves it but is slowly realizing it’s expensive and had to find parts he is 17 is in need of a lot of stuff to build it the way he wants but can’t find the parts I’m hoping this will be a way to make some new friends and help him find the direction he wants to go with the car thanks aga

This from when we bought it

in

The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-18-2021)
Old 01-16-2021 | 11:57 PM

Welcome aboard Chris......Nothing like Father & Son Time!

Old 01-17-2021 | 03:56 AM

Welcome to the Forums.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2021 | 05:14 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Old 01-17-2021 | 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. If I could be dictator, every kid would get their first car the same way I did. Dad towed home a late model car that had been stolen and recovered with body damage and a blown engine and said "Son, if you can fix it, you can drive it." First place I had to go was the library because there wasn't any internet back then so your son has got it a lot easier today. But if you make him read the research, figure out how everything works and fix it himself, you'll get two major benefits. 1) He'll have "skin in the game" as they say. He won't be out taking unnecessary risks with it after it took him months to get it on the road. 2) Even if he never picks up another wrench ever again, he'll save easily tens of thousands of dollars on car repairs in his lifetime. Most people today have no clue how anything under the hood works and are totally at the mercy of whatever a mechanic tells them. Usually they just let the mechanic go ahead and do whatever because they need their car back ASAP and are too busy to take it somewhere else for a second quote, let alone a third. Repair shop operators know this and take full advantage. If he learns just some basics, he'll know that it doesn't take replacing ten parts in three different systems to fix a check engine light indicating one error code. Just be sure that you are helping and not doing it for him. My dad literally sat in a lawn chair drinking tea and watching while I hoisted the motor out, just to make sure I didn't drop it on my head, but he never once took the wrench out of my hand even when I seemed to forget "lefty loosey".

Old 01-17-2021 | 08:38 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Chris,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 01-17-2021 | 08:42 AM

welcome to the forum- enjoy!!!

Old 01-17-2021 | 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Hello, Chris,
Your son will get a crash course in the Realities of owning an Elderly car, one he doesn't have to memorize the plate number to know which one of the parking lot is his. It will be good for his character.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 01-18-2021 | 02:35 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forums Chris,

Good to have you with us.

I can see you've already found your way to the X-Type forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Northeast Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-northeast-35/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham