New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Howdy from sunny Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011 | 10:08 AM
|
Default Howdy from sunny Florida

Hello members,

I've joined the Jag forum for the purpose of learning as much as I can prior to actively shopping for a model that I've desired for years--an XK8 convertible of the '06 and earlier vintage.

By way of introduction, I've been driving for about 35 years and consider myself a "car guy," though not necessarily a technical gearhead. I currently drive a 1967 Mustang convertible that is totally restored and modernized, as well as a cream puff 1998 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC.

I've been disabled for more than 20 years, and as a wheelchair user I am partial to 2-door vehicles with a rather long door, which aides in stowing a wheelchair in the backseat. I am fully aware that XK8s have a minimal backseat, which is why I'm considering (if I buy one) the complete removal of the rear seat components and installing carpeted panels to increase the stowage area for my chair.

On the professional side, I'm a WWII historian and author, which has been very rewarding--and a blessing. I love to travel and much prefer driving to flying. My website is viewable in my profile, and I also have a blog site (though I haven't posted lately): Sweet Chariot

The blog is named for my father's B-29 bomber, and it also appears on the front license plate of my '67 Mustang, which features a photograph of the original nose art.

As I get involved here, I hope to get some feedback on what model years of the XK8s are considered the most desirable and/or reliable.

Bruce G.

Old 12-19-2011 | 12:41 PM
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Bruce.

Although not a chair user myself, I nearly always carry one in the car. My mother is disabled, and it just seems easier for me to keep one of her chairs in my car.

I'm not sure how you would cope with putting your chair in the back seat area of an XK, but I would have thought that any dealer would be happy for you to try, even if they know you are not going to purchase from them.

The used XK you are thinking about could very well enable someone to buy a new one from them.

Good to have you with us.

I'll certainly check your website, it is a subject that I am interested in, although I don't know that much about the War in the Pacific compared to Europe, and as you can imagine, I am surrounded by reminders.

Last edited by Translator; 12-19-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-19-2011 | 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  19.3 KB

welcome aboard JF Bruce ....really good to have you here with us

Lovin your intro, full of info too, all good!
I'm a big WWII fan myself and watch quite a few of the documentaries / movies and items on the History channel sometimes.......I admit it fascinates me.

Look forward to your posts Bruce..............

There really are some amazing and friendly guys here....you're in really good company to discuss anything Jag related or have a few laughs!

A really great mix of information, camraderrie and fun

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the site.........
so now jump on in and enjoy, all the best.

Old 12-20-2011 | 05:45 AM

Welcome to the forums,

Your idea for the back seat seems feasible, maybe someone has experience in the XK section.