New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

I finally did it

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020, 02:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I finally did it

Hi everyone. I am a long time lurker here as I have had a 97 XJ6 since 2011 and have come here more times than I can count for help and info. I have been been a fan of Jaguars since the late 70's when I bought my first Datsun 240Z and found that they had possibly based the design on the E-type. I also had a 1981 Triumph TR7 in the 80's and when I rebuilt the transmission I had to order parts from the local Jag dealer ($400 for an input shaft Ouch!). I lived in SoCal at the time and saw all the lovely XJS and XK12 running around and could only dream about owning one of them. When I moved back to Michigan I bought my XJ6 and planned on keeping that for a while. But a few years ago I became aware of the XK8 and XKR models partly from this site. After looking at the different versions and years I settled on liking the 2003-2006 models the best and of course it had to be the XKR. So for the last two years I have been looking all over for the right one. I didn't realize it would be so hard to find one. Either they had too many miles, were too expensive or the colors weren't quite right. My biggest hold up was that I did not want a light colored interior especially the tan and most seemed to have that. Over this last weekend I found a 2003 XKR that appeared to be the perfect one located at a dealer in Tenn. I called yesterday and worked out what I think was as great deal. He even paid for shipping to me. I got the payment out to him this morning and he said it is being picked up today and should be in my driveway tomorrow!!

It is black on black, 70k, new tires, top and battery. The paint is perfect with no scratches and the interior seems perfect too except for what appears to be a couple bubbles on the cup holder cover. It was a corporate car in TX for most of it's life and had a couple other owners that only put about 4k each on it. The only thing I'm worried about right now is if it has had the top hydraulic lines changed. I have seen the stories of the result and it horrifies me. I am sure I will have more questions soon.

It doesn't look like I can attach pics yet but will try again shortly

Old 03-03-2020, 05:21 PM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forums Numbooger,

You can attach pictures immediately. There's no restrictions on newbies for that.

Clearly you've already found your way to the XK8/XKR forum so there's no need for a link to it from me. The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues. You can also use the US Midwest Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/us-midwest-39/to find other members in your region.

Please add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

I hope the XKR arrives on time and is all you would wish.

Graham

Old 03-03-2020, 06:00 PM
Received 10,518 Likes on 6,948 Posts

Welcome to the Forums.

Black on Black, only way to go.

Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Numbooger (03-04-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 06:45 PM
Received 3,968 Likes on 2,868 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 03-03-2020, 07:21 PM

I tried to attach images in my first post but was getting an error. It turns out they were a bad format but I converted them and it should work now

The following users liked this post:
V7Sport (03-04-2020)
Old 03-03-2020, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,344 Likes on 5,431 Posts

Hello,
Welcome to the forums form ElinorB.
(';')

Old 03-04-2020, 01:28 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

Old 03-04-2020, 04:26 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Numbooger,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 03-04-2020, 06:42 AM
Received 4,304 Likes on 3,721 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!!!!!

Old 03-04-2020, 08:39 PM

Thanks for all the welcomes! The car arrived safely this afternoon. It is a bit dirty because it was on an open trailer and he must have run through some rain. I looked it over thoroughly and then took it for a drive. Oh man I love this thing!!! It came with a bunch of service records, all the manuals and even all three keys (two regular and the green valet one). I did notice a few issues I will have to deal with but nothing that I can't take care of myself. I'll post in the X100 forums to discuss in more detail but what I noticed are passenger door window is out of alignment (he told me it didn't roll up all the way or hung), there is a little bit of green fluid film around the console where the top release lever is and when I drove it when I turned around to head back home I noticed a strong burning oil smell which I also noticed when I got home. The window I already know that is a common problem and I should be able to work through. I asked if the top hydraulic lines had been changed but the dealer didn't know. Once again something I figured I might have to deal with but will be a bit more work and expense. The oil smell caught me by surprise but I found here that it might be leaking valve covers. I do see a small leak at the back of the drivers side which doesn't seem too bad but I can't see down to back of the right side cover. It got dark out so I will look at it more tomorrow. In any case I've worked on cars my whole life and have experience on my XJ6 so these kinds of things were, if not expected, at least prepared for. Thanks again and I'll be talking to you all soon!