New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

I owned a dream 89 XJS for 10 minutes (engine fire)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I owned a dream 89 XJS for 10 minutes (engine fire)

Hi everyone, I was excited to joint this group and become a member of the XJS owners but sadly this post is more looking for some opinions of what could have made my membership so short. (well, I may be back again!)

OK So I purchased an 89 XJS of eBay. 44k miles, 1 owner, garage kept and he had the filters and oil changed every 6 months regardless. This was a weekend cruiser for the owner, the original owner, never his main car.

Jaguar XJS Base Coupe 2 Door | eBay

The owner said the car ran fine, he drove it 20 minutes to the car pickup location and they drove it up the truck ramp.

So the delivery shows up at 9:30pm on Sunday night, the night before the car was expected to be here. They were trying to jump start it when I got there. They asked me if I had cables saying the other car on the tow did not have enough juice to jump mine, (translate: it wasnt starting easily).

Once it started the backed it off the multi-car truck and signed it over to me. I got in and drove away. I went 3 blocks and did a u-turn on the main road we were parked on the side of as they drove away. I get 3 blocks dow the other direction of this road and the car dies and I drift to the side of the road. At this point, smoke is coming out from under the hood. I sit for a second thinking it over heated (I knew it wasn't steam but hoped otherwise). I wouldn't turn over again.

I popped the hood and lifted it just a couple inches and fire flew out as oxygen got inside. I called 911 (twice) but I live in New Orleans which can be a 3rd world country in terms of government services. 20 minutes later the fire department got there, the car was completely engulfed in white smoke and the front of the car was blazing.

So my question to my new brothers and sisters... I know 89-91 XJs's are prone to engine fires but REALLY? I was doing 20mph for 6 or 7 blocks, then it died and coasted to the side of the road and that was all she wrote.

What are the possibilities of what happened here? The seller swears it was ok, I filed an insurance claim but my policy didn't officially start until today (when the truck was supposed to deliver the vehicle). I filed a dispute with Paypal (luckily that's how he wanted payment) and I filed a claim with the transportation company, but the more I understand what happened the better I may argue my point and try to recoup what I spent on this dream car that lasted me 10 minutes.

Any educated or experienced opinions are welcome and none will be taken as any kind of legally binding statements. I just want to understand what could have happened.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 7,150 Posts

Most likely a fuel hose failure....not uncommon, especially if the hoses have never been replaced. Recommendations to replace fuel hoses are usually the first thing newbies hear when they come on board here.

Umpteen years ago some XJS V12s were recalled due to fuel hose related engine fires....but the details have long escaped my memory

Or.....

If yours is a mid-89 or later (apprx VIN 156xxx or later) you'll have Marelli ignition. Short version: if the system malfunctions raw fuel can accumulate in the cat converters, which then overheat (red hot!)...which in some cases has caused an engine fire

So sorry to hear of your bad luck

Cheers
DD

Old 10-17-2016, 04:39 PM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum, sorry to hear your sad story.

Old 10-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 3,939 Likes on 2,848 Posts

Welcome aboard.......sorry to hear about your fire...wishing you better times ahead.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,204 Likes on 5,385 Posts

What a disaster! I hope you get it all resolved to your satisfaction!

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 10-17-2016, 05:35 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum neuroticartist,

Good to have you with us at Jaguar forums.

Sorry to hear the dreadful news. I looked at the original listing photos through the link you posted. It certainly was a beauty.

Doug has given good advice in post #2. Follow this link XJS ( X27 ) - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the XJS forum for help, advice and information from other members with the same model.
The 'HOW TO' thread at the top is a good place to start for information on regular issues.

Hope you get the insurance claim sorted without too much trouble.

Graham

Old 10-17-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 10,475 Likes on 6,918 Posts

Welcome, and BUGGA.

Dougs 2 suggestions are my answers also, with the fuel lines being #1.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:04 PM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

welcome to the forum - sorry for the misfortune!

Old 10-18-2016, 05:52 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums neuroticartist ,

Good to have you with us.
I hope you can work it out with the insurance.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 10-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Man, I feel your loss, really sorry to read this.
An unfortunate reminder that fuel and XJS V12's don't do well, as so often warned on this forum.
I hope you get things settled, and find an other one.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 361 Posts

Oh no! What a tragic turn of events.

Don't know how this worked out but from the pics it really looks like a marelli fire. Mostly smoke, fire shooting out bottom in a sustained jet, and all the heat damage in the hood is at the rear where an under-car fire would roll up. None over the vee where a burst fuel injector line would be.

I'm curious what became of the car. You're not that far from me. If you retained ownership I might be interested in the body.