New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

I pulled the plug!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013 | 10:30 AM
|
Smile I pulled the plug!

Hey guys (and gals), my name is Dennis from KC and I STILL cannot believe I just bought a Jag.
My wife and I were used car shopping - looking for an Impala or Fusion, something of that nature. We stopped at a dealer in our area (not brand name dealership - but good rep nonetheless) to look and didn't really see anything we liked. The salesman walked us over to this BEAUTIFUL dark green 06 Jag S-Type (I shrugged, kept walking - wife stayed and looked). 10 minutes later wife said salesman said car was in our price range. I said no way (I drive a Ford Focus!). I had 9 thousand cash to spend and and told her I worked for a living and couldn't afford a luxury sport sedan.
We ended up test driving this immaculate car and my wife and I were both in AWE. Us? In a Jaquar? The car drove absolutely perfect. We got back to the dealership and the sales rep brought us clean, one-owner carfax with no accidents and all maintainence records. The car has 113K miles on it. We bought it for 9K out the door.
We've had it for a month now and the car is an absolute dream. My question (as it was the day we bought it) is cost of ownership. Premium gas and higher insurance rates have made it more expensive to own than say - a Fusion. These 2 things I can adjust to - I'm just worried about costs if this thing breaks down. I'm currently looking for a local mechanic that can do basic maintainence to avoid dealership costs.
So, am I over my head here? I hope not. This is my wifes car and believe you me she is turning some heads in the Wal-mart parking lot! Our family members can't believe it!
Cheers to everybody here and looking forward to chatting with you all.

Old 03-04-2013 | 10:34 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forum Dennis,

Congratulations on the S-Type.

Follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type section for help, advice and information. If you're new to this model, the 'HOW TO' thread at the top there is a good place to start for info on regular issues.

Remember to add vehicle details to your Signature to help others to give relevant advice. Go to the User CP button on the left of the top menu bar, then Settings & Options under Your Control Panel. Select Edit Signature and enter the details.

You may also like to visit the US Central Region section by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/central-us-mt-wy-co-nd-sd-ne-ks-36/ to find other members in your region.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 03-04-2013 | 10:38 AM

The 05+ S-Type's really are quite reliable, I drive an 05. They have a few nit-picky things that are pretty easy and cheap to fix. I too work my *** off for a living and maintain mine just fine, I think you'll be A-OK.

The following users liked this post:
ChiefsFan (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013 | 10:46 AM
|

Originally Posted by totalimmortal363
The 05+ S-Type's really are quite reliable, I drive an 05. They have a few nit-picky things that are pretty easy and cheap to fix. I too work my *** off for a living and maintain mine just fine, I think you'll be A-OK.
It's a relief to hear you say that! I hope to save some $$$ by just consulting this forum with problems I might have. The miles had me somewhat concerned but the car was obviously well taken care of. Thanks!

Old 03-04-2013 | 11:10 AM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the S Type. You will be fine and if you are willing to do some work yourself, could be even better on savings. This forum is definitely the place for support, how-to's, etc. Sit back and enjoy the Jag!

ChiefsFan (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013 | 11:19 AM
|

Thank You!

Old 03-04-2013 | 11:25 AM

Welcome to the forum Dennis,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

ChiefsFan (03-04-2013)
Old 03-04-2013 | 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChiefsFan
It's a relief to hear you say that! I hope to save some $$$ by just consulting this forum with problems I might have. The miles had me somewhat concerned but the car was obviously well taken care of. Thanks!

Look at the coolant overflow tank, they leak at the nipple where the tube attaches.

Also, the IMT O-Rings leak but are easily replaced.

The Tank was $120 at my local Jag dealer, the rings were a few bucks there as well.

Old 03-04-2013 | 01:11 PM
|

Originally Posted by totalimmortal363
Look at the coolant overflow tank, they leak at the nipple where the tube attaches.

Also, the IMT O-Rings leak but are easily replaced.

The Tank was $120 at my local Jag dealer, the rings were a few bucks there as well.
Not sure what IMT O-Rings are but I will check the tank. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2013 | 03:50 PM

So excited for you and your wife! I just love the, "I came in looking for a car, and I drove away in a Jaaaaaagggg!" story! It never gets old Welcome to the forum and many happy miles to you.

ChiefsFan (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013 | 04:42 PM
|

Originally Posted by Muddydog
So excited for you and your wife! I just love the, "I came in looking for a car, and I drove away in a Jaaaaaagggg!" story! It never gets old Welcome to the forum and many happy miles to you.
Thanks! We're still trying to get use to people staring at us going to the grocery store!

Old 03-05-2013 | 05:26 PM

I love seeing people get excited about a car! Could never understand how some people just don't care as long as they can get in and drive haha Welcome to the forums you will find tons of helpful and friendly folks here to give you any advice you may need (: Can't afford anything that new myself but I do love the new ones as well as the classics like my own. Congrats on your new purchase and good luck with everything!

ChiefsFan (03-05-2013)