New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

I should have bought a beemer

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I should have bought a beemer

I bought my 2007 S-Type diesel new from the local Jaguar agent and it has been serviced there ever since.
I have had a lot of niggly electric/electronic problems ever since it was new. Most of them due to poor maintenance at the dealer. For example, they overtightened and broke one of the battery terminals which gave an intermittent fault which would immobilise the car - usually in the most inconvenient places. It took them 2 years to sort that one out. I had another fault due (they think) to the particle filter. This one took three years to sort out and when they finally sorted the problem the car was out of warranty and they charged me €900 for the privilege. A complaint to Jaguar France didn't even get a reply. When I got the car back after this repair, the windscreen was broken and a headlight was broken - guess what - it was all my fault! I wrote to them but got a "we don't want to know" reply.
All of the above pales into insignificance compared to the latest problem. At 120,000 Km the engine has run a big end bearing - no warning, no fault light - just a very expensive noise from the engine. The response of the dealer is "We replace at least two engines for this fault every year - it is due to the particle filter". This followed by an estimate of €20,000 for a replacement engine.
I contacted Jaguar France because the dealer refused to do so and they finally replied - via the dealer - that they didn't want to know.

I am (was) a Jag fanatic, I have 2 E-Types and a Mk2 and I was delighted when I could finally afford a new Jag. Now, you won't get me into a Jag showroom for love nor money.
BMW or Mercedes here I come.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Shame as it sounds you've had issues, but perhaps you could have been more forceful with them?
I know if I have an issue with my car I work until its resolved and if its a dealer problem I'll be paying "no pennies"

I hope you're not just here to sound off and run the marque down, beacuse of a poor experience with what appears to be a poor dealer, and you can enjoy the forum.

Should you go down the route of other marques as you say, I wish you well.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:08 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
It does sound as if you should have persued this further with Jaguar.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:38 PM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Although it may be bonjour and adieu if you intend to go with an alternative marque.

I would have taken the matter up with Jaguar directly long before now and not through their French distributor.

Graham

Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by GGG
Welcome to the forum,

Although it may be bonjour and adieu if you intend to go with an alternative marque.

I would have taken the matter up with Jaguar directly long before now and not through their French distributor.

Graham

Old 07-20-2012, 04:02 AM

Hi everybody and thanks for taking the trouble to reply. I assure everybody that I am actually a Jag fanatic - I've had loads over the years and I am the proud owner of 2 E-Types and a MK11. My disappointment is accentuated by the way I've been treated by both Jaguar France and the local dealer. Before the engine ran a bearing I even thought about going down to Orleans to the next nearest dealer but unfortunately it is the same owners!
I did contact Jaguar who refered me to Jaguar France and said that they would get in touch with me - I'm still waiting.
My problem is classic - I need a reliable car and a part of this is having a decent dealer near to where I live.
I will still be a Jag fanatic but strictly for classic motors but for my everyday car unfortunately it will be a Merc or a beemer.
I've had a couple of Mercs in the past and the quality of service I had has been much superior to Jag.
I've owned one of my E-Types since 1976 - it is N° 860015 It is an original flat floor 3.8 FHC so you can see that my interest has spanned many years.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Continue to enjoy the E-Type and I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to the S-Type, even if it is only by changing it!

Graham

Old 07-20-2012, 04:28 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 11

wilsbill - thanks so much for the clarification......really sorry to hear a bad dealer has let you down, such a shame!

+1 on Grahams comments from me and hopefully you might jump on in here from time to time.
I'll bet you have some interesting stories, pics to share and more than likely have some good tech info to add to our pot.

Best

Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 AM

Hi Jim,
The saga is continuing with my S-Type and it looks like it will finish in court. Anyway, enough of depressing subjects. I told you I have 2 E-Types - the first one is a very early flat floor FCH which is mechanically good - mainly because I replaced or reconditioned just about everything but it is quite rusty (understatement) and I'm summoning up the courage (and the finance) to get the bodywork into shape.
The other one is a 1970 2+2 which I finished restoring last year. It was a southern California car and had no rust at all but had had a shunt in the back so I had to replace several rear panels the worst of which was the boot floor. It isn't that it is difficult - it just is very fiddly to get it right. Then I found that the drivers door wouldn't shut properly so had to use a hydraulic jack to stretch the door aperture a bit. All this took a long time but the car is now really nice. next year I'm going to replace the horrible twin Strombergs with a set of triple SUs. I've found a ste of carbs but now need a 4.2 manifold to fit them on to.
My MK 11 is a 3.8 and I think you could say she is original but tired. No real corrosion problems but need new paint, interior and chrome. When I've finished the other E-Type.......

I'll post some photos of the restoration of my first E-Type in the appropriate part of the forum soon.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:51 AM
Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to hear about your bad experience - mine was the other way around. I wouldn't touch another BMW with a stick.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Views: 12

Originally Posted by wilsbill
Hi Jim,
I'll post some photos of the restoration of my first E-Type in the appropriate part of the forum soon.
get em posted on up