New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

I Unexpectedby Bought a New Jaguar Last Night

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default I Unexpectedby Bought a New Jaguar Last Night

Greetings fellow enthusiasts.

Since my wife of 30+ years finally got a driver's license last year for the first time since she was a teenager, we decided that it was time to become a two-car family. For the past 30 years, I have only owned two-door coupes and/or convertibles (Mazda RX-7, Acura Legend, MB SLK, Lexus SC430), but decided that it was time to buy a four-door sedan for practical purposes. We moved to Las Vegas a couple of years ago and get a lot of friends and family visiting us now - Big Surprise! I've been renting cars every time someone comes out here, so it makes sense that one of our cars be capable of chauffeuring people around town.

Even though I was going to be saddled with a sedan for the first time in my life, I still wanted a car with a little pizzazz. With a self-imposed budget of $60k - $80k, I had settled on a late model Maserati Quattroporte and spent the past few weeks researching and test-driving various vehicles. The ride was very nice, but in conducting research, I became concerned with annual maintenance/upkeep costs of a vehicle that wouldn't be under warranty.

Yesterday morning, I saw an add for a Jaguar XF sedan and decided to go check one out at our local dealer. Since I'm 6'4", I wanted to see if I could fit in it comfortably, and almost as important, see if someone could sit behind me while I was driving. The size of the car was fine, but I wasn't happy with the aesthetics of the interior. It felt a little "cheap" especially after having driven Maseratis for the past month. So after test-driving the XF, I decided to look at the XJ. I liked this one much better, but when we returned to the dealership following the test-drive, my eye caught a claret XJL Portfolio. Ahhh, I thought, that looks like me. We went for our third test-drive of the day and at the conclusion I knew that I had found my new car. This car had most of the accutrements of the late mode Maserati, with the added benefit of a four-yr/50k warranty that would take care of all service/maintenance issues over that span of time.

So, seven hours after having gone to visit a Jaguar dealership with the sole purpose of just checking out a car I had not considered before, I drove home with my new 2012 XJL.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the site!! The XJs are beautiful cars. Did you happen to move to las vegas from bathesda MD?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by bryce804
Did you happen to move to las vegas from bathesda MD?
Yes, I did. I lived in the Maryland suburbs of Washington, DC for 25 years (the last ten in Bethesda) before moving to Las Vegas two years ago.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Received 6,338 Likes on 5,523 Posts

Welcome to the forum,

Good to have you with us.
Don't you just hate when that happens. :-)
Let us know how you like it.

You should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Last edited by Norri; 03-30-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
You should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
Thanks for the welcome, but I don't understand this comment. I've already listed the car in my signature. What other details should I add?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
Thanks for the welcome, but I don't understand this comment. I've already listed the car in my signature. What other details should I add?
You already have already done it. I live right next to dc on the va side.

Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Received 6,338 Likes on 5,523 Posts

Originally Posted by MadManOfBethesda
Don't worry your golden, I should have removed that line from my reply.
Too much hurry, you probably noticed it caused me to forget how to spell also. :-)