New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Ignition coil covers

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2023 | 09:11 AM
|
Smile Ignition coil covers

Hello everyone,
My name is Domenic and I am new to this forum. I live in Canada Quebec and I have always loved automobiles. I have owned many cars in my time but this is by far one of the best looking cars I have ever owned. I purchased a used 2017 Jaguar F-Type R in June of this year. From the time the F-type became a coupe I was a big fan and always said one day I will own one. This car is a joy ride and even though I only drove it 1000klms (about 625 miles) this summer I enjoyed every minute of it. It is now stored for the winter months since our winters here in Montreal are horrible and we are number one for the worst potholes. So its summer only for my F-Type and I plan to keep it that way sine the previous owner never winter drove it either.

Now that the car is stored and I have more time on my hands since I am not as busy in the winter months with work I had the chance to really study the car. I was still not familiar with some of the dash instruments so I am slowly learning all of this now. I also had the time to really look at the engine compartment which I have to say a V8 really hugs that car, there is hardly any room on either side of the engine bay. There is one thing that caught my eye which I wasn't sure was correct. I was able to see my ignition coils on both sides and I remember seeing a video on You tube on how to change the spark plugs on these cars. I recall the tech removing these plastic covers first to get to the ignition coils to change the plugs. These covers are missing on my engine so I figured when the car was last serviced they must have forgot to install them back. I checked on line to see if the 2017 has these covers and there is a part number for them. AJ813988 and C2Z18784. They are not that expensive to purchase but my question here is how important are these covers? Is it ok driving without them? I already drove a certain amount of miles without them but in long term will it cause any issues, that is my concern. I called the dealer I bought the car from and they said they did not notice the covers missing. They also said I should have no issues driving the car without them.

So I am asking this community, should I purchase new covers for the ignition coils? Will I have issues if I don't? has anyone changed their spark plugs and not put these covers back? I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this matter.

thank you and looking forward being part of this community.

Dom.c

Old 12-23-2023 | 10:05 AM
GGG

Welcome to the forums Domenic,

(I've removed a duplicate of your Intro post)

Good to have you with us.

Many manufacturers shroud engines with all kinds of plastic covers. Sometimes the reason is given as improving cooling by ducting air or protecting from water ingress but usually it's simply cosmetic. On my XK, several pieces have to be removed before the v8 is even visible and your F-Type v8 will have looked similar when it left the factory.

Those covers do help keep the coil harness connectors clean and dry but it's not going to come to any great harm without them. I'd replace them because it would bug me every time I opened the engine compartment but you may have higher tolerance than me.

Follow this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/ to the F-Type forum for help, advice and information. You can also use the Canada Region forum by following this link https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/canada-73/ to find other members in your region.

Please read the guidance for new members ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...ned-up-241802/ ) which answers many of the most frequent questions about getting started.

Enjoy the forums.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (12-24-2023)
Old 12-23-2023 | 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hello, Dominic,
Congratulations on your new Jaguar F-type!
Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Old 12-23-2023 | 10:33 AM
|
Smile Ignition Coil Covers

Thank you very much guys happy to be here. Graham thank you so much for your feedback on my ignition coil covers issue. To answer your question it bugs me as well I love to see a complete engine when I open the hood so I will be ordering them during the winter and install them so its ready for next spring. I will post pictures.

Cheers!!!

Dom.c

The following users liked this post:
GGG (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023 | 12:46 PM

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 12-23-2023 | 02:48 PM

Welcome aboard Domenic.

Old 12-23-2023 | 04:20 PM
|

Thank you Elinor, Steve and Jim, great to be part of the Jaguar community. You all have sweet rides based on your images.

Cheers to all.

Dom.c

Old 12-24-2023 | 03:18 AM

Welcome to the Forums.

When its complete and right, the world rotates much happier.

I dont like those plastic things, but they are there, and thats how the car was designed.

Good luck.

Old 12-24-2023 | 07:06 AM

Welcome to Jaguar Forums Domenic,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 12-24-2023 | 07:23 AM
Veteran Member

What that indicates is someone was working in that area and just left them off. Not great and I would also suspect other "crap" repairs as that is a sign of laziness. You did not post how many miles on the car or what the past service history is? Serviced at Jaguar or??

Hopefully if coils and/or plugs were changed no clips were broken as this is real common. The covers were removed for a reason. If it was my car I would purchase and replace the covers. Are they important? Not at all.

Old 01-01-2024 | 09:23 AM
|

Hello Clubairth1
I agree it is laziness on their part who ever did remove them and not put them back. I purchased the car from a jaguar dealer and they did certified the car for me in every way. The car had 67200 klms when I bought it and it was a one owner car that was very well kept and runs very well. I will be ordering the covers since I feel the engine looks more complete even though they are not important as you mentioned.

On another note, I received a Christmas gift from my son, a carbon fiber center console shifter trim cover. It was very easy to remove by snapping it out and disconnecting the starter button and 12v power outlet wires. I removed the starter switch from the trim which was fairly easy but the 12v power charger is a very difficult task. I cant figure it out does it twist off or does it pull off. I tried both ways and it feels like it going to break every time I force it. Has anyone tried to remove the 12v power source unit from the trim? Any advise would be truly appreciated. I cant install my new trim if I cant remove the 12v power outlet.

By the way Happy New Year to all

Dom.c

Old 01-02-2024 | 07:31 AM
Veteran Member

Can't help on the 12 VDC outlet other than to keep messing with it.
But that CF trim is addictive so watch out or you will be replacing all the trim with CF!

I have the CF package from the factory on my XJR that also included CF engine cover and CF hood vents as well as all the interior parts. But the factory stuff does not cover the center console. Post some pictures of what it looks like as we all enjoy seeing your car!

Old 01-02-2024 | 09:41 AM
|

Yes I agree on the CF being addictive and gets very expensive on certain pieces. I would love the CF engine cover but the cost is outrageous, anywhere form $1500 to $2000.00 and that does not include the side covers that I am missing. Anyway if I cant remove the 12 VDC I will return the trim, no big deal my OEM trim is fine and looks good as well. If I do manage, I will post an image.

Thank you for your advise, always a pleasure to hear an opinion from a member.

Cheers!!!

Dom.c

Old 01-03-2024 | 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Here is the CF engine cover and I have seen $2500 factory price JUST for this piece! It is real CF as it weighs almost nothing.
I know on my car it was ordered with option VPFA - Carbon Fibre Veneer. Cost was $1575. So maybe they cut you a bit on price if you buy the CF package?

I do like the CF hood vents! The Supercharged in red is some more bling too.

How far are you going to go on the interior parts?
The big long round part above the dash board is CF on mine and I think that might be a hard part to remove and re-install?
Sorry no good picture of that piece.