New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

I'm interested in buying a new car

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm interested in buying a new car

It's been a while and I don't do this very often. I'm looking for a car that is:

1) comfortable over long distances (I'm very tall)
2) safe (For a tall driver)
3) reliable
4) enjoyable (tough to quantify)

I've been sitting in lots of cars and taken a few out for test drives. I'm here because I've always liked Jaguars, although I wasn't even considering one, until I went to the lot and they happened to have an X-Type 3.0 wagon for 11K. I'd just driven the Prius (a bit cramped and just OK) when I asked if we could take it for a spin...

It had been a while and I'd forgotten what great cars Jaguar makes. The interior, the quiet, the wood, the leather, the smooth ride, it was nice. And here was a 5 year old car for 11K, loaded with NAV and all that.

It was a bit cramped - I'm 6'6". But then I looked up the interior dimensions of the S-Types and they are right in line with the Volvo S80 I took for a spin, so now I'm honestly thinking of putting a used Jaguar on my short list.

My dad had one when I was young, and I've always thought they were great cars. Here are my concerns:

1) I'm going to be doing a lot of driving.
2) Jaguars used to be known for their utter lack of reliability and high cost when it came to repairs. I'm wondering how much of that is myth or reality these days, particularly for the ones from the past 10 years. Any models/years to avoid or seek out? Is it really that expensive? Do they have an expiration date where you're facing a 3000 dollar repair?
3) What are the safety ratings like - any other tall drivers here who have been in an accident? Or not so tall drivers?
4) How is the mileage? It's a distant consideration considering comfort/safety are my top two requirements but it is something I'd like to do as well as I can on.

The cars I fit best in so far:

1) Cadillac STS
2) Volvo S80
3) Acura TL

I appreciate any help I can get. I know I'm new around these parts, so thanks in advance for all your help.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Welcome, I prefer narrow , tight places in a Jaguar . It feels more sporty and gives me something else that I can hardly describe .
Newer Jags are heigher , taller but I prefer low sleek profile . Older Jags were nightmare to maintain and reliability was not a word on their book .
However, newer ,post Ford ownership, have rectified their reliability , still you know nothing is perfect so you can find some demerits but in engine wise and mechanical longetivity I would say XJs should be filling the bill lol

X Type AWDs are known for weak transfer case , if it was abused , hard driven you can see a repair bill for it .
Anyway, you can drop by X Type Forums and see some threads that should give you an idea

Old 10-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

..most reliable car on that short list is the Acura TL...although pedestrian

Old 10-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Off the cuff, a 2003 and up s-type (4.2L w/ 6-speed) and a 2004+ XJ, knowing full well the air suspension is the big question mark for immediate, or down-the-road repair. Both should be very comfy and give plenty of head room.

Saying that, I drive a ton, putting around 19k a year on my xk8 (4.2L w/ 6-speed), am at 116k miles, and I have had a bit more maintenance than my previous jeep gr. cherokee, but nowhere near as fun to drive and enjoy. I would not hesitate to get either of the above cars if it were me. In fact, when this car is paid off, I am going to purchase an 05 or 06 XJR.

I would try to stay below the 60k mark, however, so you can put your share of the mileage on it w/o worrying about reaching the mechanical limits.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1) I'm going to be doing a lot of driving.
Jaguars just suck up the miles without you noticing. Thats what I love about them. They can be entertaining to drive, yet still get you where you want to go in extreme comfort. My experience is with 1986 XJSV12, 2001 XK8 Convertible and my current 2005 S-type 3.0

2) Jaguars used to be known for their utter lack of reliability and high cost when it came to repairs. I'm wondering how much of that is myth or reality these days, particularly for the ones from the past 10 years. Any models/years to avoid or seek out? Is it really that expensive? Do they have an expiration date where you're facing a 3000 dollar repair?
My 2007 Ford Explorer costs $45 per service every 3,000 miles, where as the Jaguar is $90 per service every 6,000 miles and they wash it for you for that price (a no brainer). The Jaguar Select Warranty is brilliant so definately see if you can get one with it from a Jaguar dealer. Not counting the old XJS, no Jaguar has ever let me down.

3) What are the safety ratings like - any other tall drivers here who have been in an accident? Or not so tall drivers?
I've not crashed one yet, but they are really safe according to the star ratings.

4) How is the mileage? It's a distant consideration considering comfort/safety are my top two requirements but it is something I'd like to do as well as I can on.
I recently drove the same 3,000 mile trip twice. Once in the S-type and once in a Dodge Journey. I was cursing so many stupid things about the Dodge and couldn't wait to get back in the Jaguar or even my Ford Explorer. The visibility all around in the Jaguar is great, giving great awareness and thus safer driving. The seats hold me just right (6'1" tall) with LOTS of headroom. The dodge had about a foot of headroom which for some reason made me feel uncomfortable. The Jaguar S-type and the XK8 V8 both got 27 mpg on longer trips and the S-type never goes below 20.

Also, Jaguar do great finance rates on certified, 1.9, 2.9 and 3.9%

$26,000 gets you this certified XJ with 39,000 miles

Last edited by mycaptainchris; 10-05-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

If you are 6'6" tall , I would say it has to be either an S-type or an XJ from 2004 on for both cars. I would think an X-type would be a bit too cramped

My neighbour next door has a 2004 2.5 litre S-Type and loves it, it has been no trouble at all, and he has just got back from a tour down to Spain and back. They have a villa there but normally fly it. For long distances the car is superb, so comfortable and quiet.

I have an XJ6 (X350 model in aluminium), bought at 7 years old this last May, and 30k miles, and have now done 7,500 since. it seems very well made to me and nothing wrong so far.

Safety ratings are up there with the best, this is not an issue at all.

For fuel mileage, well, you really have no problem at all in the US with your fuel prices !! Here in the UK we are really stung but you eventually get used to it.

If you do buy one, avoid the 20" wheels, they may look good, but make the ride very harsh, (unless looks outweigh comfort for you !)

Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, that is all quite helpful. I can't believe the used prices of 2005 XJ8's - I'm seeing everything from 12,000 to 27,000 for that year.

Regarding a snug fitting car, as much as I'd enjoy one, my head would probably hit the roof and snap my neck in an accident. Height is not an advantage when it comes to car shopping or commercial airlines.

I will look for the warranty and continue my research... and who knows, may even post in one of the car forums.

Thanks again!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,007 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  19.3 KB

Hey shaguar fan, welcome to the site
You're welcome here Jag owner or not as a car enthusiast.
I'm 6'3" and the X type was cramped for me, so thats pretty much out.
As stated probably an S type or XJ for your requirements....Please check out the FAQ sections for tons of good up to date info for your consideration that may help with your decision.
I've upgraded you to FFA so you can access all the sites featrures....Hope you enjoy your time here!