New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:11 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Introduction

Hi All,

I just purchased a 2000 S-Type in super clean condition, just had to replace a few lamps.

I have a very minor coolant leak that I am trying to track down. There is only enough of a leak to smell the antifreeze vapor through the grille with the engine hot, but not enough to see a noticeable loss from the coolant reservoir over a few hundred miles of driving. I cannot see any sign of leaks by visual inspection so far; not a trace anywhere that is visible. I am taking it to a radiator shop for cold pressure test inspection to see if they can find anything.

Has anyone had any experience with minor coolant leaks and where to look for likely locations?

Thanks,

Old 11-16-2012, 04:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dennis,

Congratulations on the S-Type.

Follow this link S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the S-Type section for help, advice and information.

You can also visit the US Western Region section by following this link Western US - AK CA NV OR UT HI WA ID - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to find other members in your region.

Hope the pressure test shows up the leak source.

Enjoy the forum.

Graham

Old 11-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 5,513 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dennis,

Good to have you with us.
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't already done so you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.

Old 11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forum. Best of luck tracking down that leak. Definitely check the rad hose connections/clamps - plastic gets brittle.

let us know how it goes - a little searching on the S Type board will probably help you too.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:23 AM

Hi Chris,

I had the radiator shop look over the engine compartment while the engine was hot. This guy is experienced and reliable, but he could see nothing at all, even with a pressure test. No drips, no trace of coolant in the radiator tray, nothing at the pump weephole, clamps are dry, etc. but we can smell glycol in the engine compartment. I have lost an imperceptible amount while driving for the past week, so it must be a tiny leak in a hot area. If nothing shows up in the cold pressure test next week, I'm thinking of adding fluorescent tracer to the coolant and using a UV lamp to look around. This engine compartment is *clean*! No fluid leaks of any kind that are visible, and only a little dust under the covers. I've never seen a car this age that is so clean. I'm impressed!

I'll let you guys know what I find.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,010 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  19.3 KB

Hi Dennis & welcome aboard, Its good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums.

Any useful site information you may need such as how to post pictures, edit signatures, add videos, use the search facility etc, can be found here
within the following link Helpful_information

Please also take the time to check out the regional section for your area!
There are lots of members local to you with the same interests with info on local dealers and possible meets.
Regional - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

I've manually upgraded you to full forum access so you can better view the whole site and all its features.

Please Jump on in and enjoy the site.................

Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 AM
Default Coolant leak

My coolant leak turned out to be slightly loose hose clamps. There is a tee connector that rests over the front of the left valve cover that was leaking slightly only when cold, never leaked a drop when hot. One of the hoses goes to the coolant reservoir, the other two to the engine. The coolant ran down onto the engine and vaporized when the engine got up to temp. That's why I couldn't find it, the dripped coolant was all gone by the time I looked for it. There was also a very slight leak at one of the large hoses where that connects to a coolant manifold at the upper front of the engine.

All is well for now.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 AM
GGG
Received 16,862 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by dpasek
My coolant leak turned out to be slightly loose hose clamps......
Dennis,

Good to hear it was a simple and zero cost fix.

Enjoy the moment. Not all Jaguar issues turn out that easy and cheap.

Graham