New Member Area - Intro a MUST New to Jaguar Forums? Drop in and tell us about you, your ride and location. This is your chance to introduce yourself to the forum.

Which Jag should I buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Jag should I buy?

So I am new to the Jaguar scene but decided the best place to get advice would be a Jaguar forum.

Currently own:
2003 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon
1983 Skoda 120LS
1985 Skoda 120GLS
1986 Skoda 120GLS
1989 Kawasaki ZX10
2005 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600

I have now decided to dabble in Jaguars. Which should I get? Info First Pics Second

1988 Jaguar XJ-S V12 TWR $3000
55,xxx kms
No rust.
Right rear tail light is lose, some of the TWR Molding is loose.
Some panel wood splintering
Needs tranny mounts
Instrument cluster in intermitent
Front Brakes
Rear sway bars
Driver window won't go back up after coming down
Leather is a bit worse for wear but not fully cut.
Wiper Motors are seized.

OR

2000 Jaguar XK8 $4300
243,000kms
Headliner is toast, and the previous owner (I kid you not...) stapled the sagging headliner into the roof.
It is in performance reduced mode Apparently needs two new knock sensors. Speedometer does not work.
Apparently spent $4000 on new wheels tires brakes including jaguar calipers.
It also *clunks* when you put it into D. And ONLY when you put it in to D not out, just in, and the rest of the gears shift fine. ?

Picture time:

Old 09-24-2017, 08:11 AM
Received 6,327 Likes on 4,370 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,463 Likes on 5,466 Posts

Ignoring for a moment that I'm not a fan of flying buttresses nor quarter-round tail lights, the XJS is some years older than the XK8, and even at 'only' $3000 will doubtless cost you at Least that much to make right given all the problems you know about. I'm sure there is more than one reason a car 30 years old has such low mileage.

Once you get into the car you will doubtless discover some Nasty surprises of which you had no idea (Jaguars, indeed old cars in general are like that).

Our V12 fans will tell you you Must buy that one, but they will also admit that a V12 in need of work is not for the faint of heart unless you know what you're doing. We have some V12 Gugus here but if you Really don't know what you're doing, remote assistance is of limited value.

Also ignoring for the moment that I've decided my next Jaguar will be an XK8 and I'm therefore a bit biased, not to mention the one you show is BLACK, my personal favorite, I can tell you which one I would buy in a heartbeat for the $300 you're actually spending for the car. At 243,000km (151,000miles) that seems a good price. High mileage the only real concern I would have about this car.

Having recently rebuilt my Jaguar's brake system I can tell you it's no mean feat nor is it inexpensive! The 'clunk' when you put it in gear is a failing U-joint. It will run for a Long time that way though, until it gets bad enough to shudder on the road. Generally, changing U-joints isn't a big deal but I've never done a Jag one.

Our XK8 section will help you fix all those little niggles you mention, and also the surprises you find on the way (remember I mentioned those above?).

I wish you success in your decision.

Welcome to the forums from ElinorB.
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 09-24-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 706 Posts

You don't mention what benefit you want to get out of it. The TWR would be the much bigger hit at a car show and if its not just the body kit, greater upside potential. The XK8 coupe, tho much rarer than its convertible sibling, is nothing special, but would likely be the more reliable driver. Its dangerous to speculate what each car needs, but being newer and more common (easier to find parts, easier to diagnose), I suspect the XK8 should be much less expensive to fully sort out. Below a link that might be helpful...

How to identify a 1984 - 1988 Jaguar XJS (TWR Enhanced) | classicregister

Old 09-24-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 4,054 Likes on 2,909 Posts

Welcome aboard.

Old 09-24-2017, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,982 Likes on 7,213 Posts

Both cars obviously need attention. I can virtually guarantee that you'll save money by buying better examples rather than trying to bring these cars up-to-snuff. There's nothing more expensive than an inexpensive Jaguar.

On the XK8 you would want to check that is has the latest, greatest, updated timing chain tensioners, etc. If it doesn't, it should. I don't know what else to look for but others will

Now, the XJS.....

Magnificent cars. Properly sorted they are still competent by today's standards and a joy to drive....while maintaining a connection to the past. BUT there's lots to learn; lots of quirks. It's takes a degree of commitment to sort one out. On the upside there is fantastic support from fellow owners and repair parts are generally reasonable and plentiful....as specialty cars go. Just about every failure or problem you'd have has been discovered and the cure known. If you're not a DIYer then be prepared to spend huge sums of money at retail labor rates....if you can find a shop that really knows much about them.

Cheers
DD

Old 09-25-2017, 04:02 AM
Received 10,583 Likes on 6,991 Posts

Welcome.

Like Elinor and Doug, I am a tad biased.

What I see in the few snaps of the XJS is nothing surprising for a 30+ neglected Jag.

The XK8 with a "stapled" headliner, is simply an owner who does NOT care, so what else is botched????. Apart from the timing issues, the transmission is probably on its last legs, hard to see. obviously.

The V12 beast will cost about $5K IF YOU DO THE SPANNERS to get spot on, and a super rare car.
The V8, probably the same, and its still another XK8 Coupe.

A half decent XJS, NOT a Walkinshaw, down here is best part of $30K, and rising.
Similar XK8, high teens, low 20's, and dropping.

Good luck.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-26-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:38 AM
Received 4,331 Likes on 3,741 Posts

welcome to the forum - enjoy!!

Old 09-25-2017, 06:09 AM
Received 6,357 Likes on 5,533 Posts

Welcome to Jaguar Forums xchox,

Good to have you with us.
You will find a buying guide in the How To area of the XK8/R section https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk8-xkr-x100-17/ and all the excellent advice you need in the XJS section https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/
Enjoy the forum.

If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
If you need help with getting around and using the forum follow this link for some help Forum Help

Old 09-25-2017, 06:24 PM

Funny enough they would be for two completely different reasons. If I go with the XK8 it will be fixed quickly and my wife would drive it. If I go the XJS route, I would slowly over time fix it, and I would want to keep it as original as possible. Daily driver look. So I wouldn't go concours level restoration on her, but enough to make her presentable and take her out on long summer drives.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Norri
If you haven't done so already you should add your car details to your signature to help others to help you.
Done & Done. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,128 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by xchox
Funny enough they would be for two completely different reasons. If I go with the XK8 it will be fixed quickly and my wife would drive it. If I go the XJS route, I would slowly over time fix it, and I would want to keep it as original as possible. Daily driver look. So I wouldn't go concours level restoration on her, but enough to make her presentable and take her out on long summer drives.
Sounds like you've got excuse to buy both. Good luck whichever you choose.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:18 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum xchox.

Jaguars needing work always turn out to be expensive. You could easily pour as much again as the original purchase cost to bring either of these up to scratch.

Check the FAQs at the top of the XK8/XKR and XJS model foeums for regular issues.

Graham